NSO Leadership Programs
A key to our successful programming efforts are in large part credited to our student leadership team which help implement and facilitate the NSO programs. After all, who knows the new student experience better than those who have already been through it?
Depending on your interests, available time, passion to help others, or commitment to scholarship, students may consider applying to be a part of the NSO Leadership Team as an Orientation Leader, Matador Mentor, TAKE Cast member, or Student Coordinator. All roles offer different levels of leadership building, skills training, and personal & professional growth.
NSO Leader Applications will be available early Spring.
Matador Mentor Applications: Due Friday - Nov. 6, 2015
TAKE Cast Applications: Due Friday - Nov. 18, 2015
Student Coordinator Application: Due. Monday - Nov. 23, 2015
New Student Orientation Staff
Each year, the Office of Student Involvement and Development selects a group of mature and dedicated undergraduate and graduate leaders to assist with the implementation of the New Student Orientation program during the 2015 calendar year. Orientation leaders serve as mentors for new students who are making the transition from their previous environments to California State University, Northridge through:
- Leading groups throughout the days of orientation;
- Facilitating discussions;
- Engaging new students in Welcome All Matador events and activities;
- Helping new students transition to CSUN; and
- Assisting new student in navigating the campus and its resources.
The program offers a multi-tiered system, which encourages multiple years of involvement based on an individual's growth and development. Students can find themselves becoming involved as an orientation leader, Matador mentor (returners), TAKE cast member and an orientation coordinator.
More than 100 orientation leaders are hired in this unique and rewarding experience that encourages personal and professional growth and receive
- Priority registration;
- Networking opportunities;
- Leadership retreat;
- Transferable leadership skills;
- Multi-cultural awareness; and
- Enhanced communication skills.
There are no information sessions scheduled at this time. Please check back on this page for upcoming dates, times and locations.
We will be discussing what will be expected of you as a New Student Orientation leader and what you can expect from us, your orientation team. Be ready to ask any questions you have regarding orientation as we are ready to answer them all. We look forward to meeting you!
Applications are online and available on the top of this webpage if open.
Typically, applications are open during the following times:
Orientation Leader - Available at the beginning of each spring semester (February and a team is selected in mid/end of March
Matador Mentor - Available in mid/end of October (team is selected prior to the Winter Break).
TAKE Cast - Available in mid/end of October (team is selected prior to Winter Break).
- Student Coordinator - Available in mid/end of October (team is selected prior to Winter Break).
- Meet new people and create new friendships
- Leadership and diversity training
- Valuable networking connections with faculty and staff
- Familiarity with the campus and resources
- Impact new students' first year experience and serve as a mentor
- Gain public speaking skills
- A better sense of CSUN pride
- Priority registration
- Academic commitment of a 2.5 GPA
- Dependability for all required dates during the spring semester, summer sessions and fall semester
- Desire to serve as a mentor to new students and peers
- Approachability: Be open to views, ideas and opinions that differ from one's own
The goal of New Student Orientation is to support the continuous process of integrating new students into the academic, cultural and social context of CSUN.
- Four leadership trainings
- New Student Orientation program events
- Welcome All Matadors events (President's Picnic and Freshman Convocation)
- Office hours (amounts may vary pending on semester and years)
Commencement: Each leader must participate in at least three ceremonies as an usher during commencement.