• FAQ


How many Deaf/Hard of Hearing students are there at CSUN?

There are about 150 DHH students each year.

Is there a separate application that I have to do as a Deaf/Hard of Hearing applicant?

Yes!  After completing your Cal State Apply, you will need to complete the NCOD Supplemental Application.  This is how we stay in touch with our DHH applicants and ensure that you are properly coded in the system to receive services.

I do not live in the Los Angeles area and am outside the local admission area.  What do I do?

If you are applying as a freshman, check the Freshman Local Area Map.

If you are transferring from community college, check the Transfer Local Area Map.

If you are applying to CSUN for the upcoming Fall semester or Spring semester:

  1. Email that you are applying to CSUN, but you do not live in the local admissions area.
  2. Complete the NCOD Supplemental application.

Please note that you must email NCOD to be eligible for priority registration and receive services such as interpreting, captioning, and shared notes.

What is NCOD Open House and when is it?

NCOD Open House is an opportunity for students and their families who are interested in attending CSUN to meet NCOD staff and current DHH students, and tour the campus.  Admission requirements, financial aid, Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) support, cost of attendance, where to live, and much more are discussed during the NCOD Open House! More information can be found on the NCOD Open House page.

It happens Mid-October.  If you want to receive a notification about the official date, please email and we will provide you with all the details.  

I am unsure if a class I took at a community college is transferable or recognized by CSUN.  What do I do?

Please check with your community college’s Transfer Center and schedule an appointment with them.

Familiarize yourself with Assist, an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another.

Review our Transfer Admission requirements:

  • Complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better*; and
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended in a regular session; and
  • Complete the CSU General Education Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking and Speech Communication courses with a C or better**; and
  • Submit all official college transcripts, including preliminary (work-in-progress) and final transcript with grades posted, to Admissions and Records before the deadline.

If you have additional concerns about which classes are transferable, please email

How can I transfer to CSUN with ease?

Ask your community college counselor about the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) or visit A Degree with a Guarantee for an overview from the community college perspective.

For a list of the ADT majors that CSUN accepts, check the CSU page Explore Your Options.

How do I know if I am taking the right classes in high school?

Please review the CSU requirements for high school students.  In order to apply to CSUN, you must complete the A-G requirements. They are 

a.History and Social Science (including 1 year of U.S. history or 1 semester of U.S. history and 1 semester of civics or American government AND 1 year of social science)2
b.English (4 years of college preparatory English composition and literature)4
c.Math (4 years recommended) including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, or higher mathematics (take one each year)3
d.Laboratory Science (including 1 biological science and 1 physical science)2
e.Language Other than English (2 years of the same language; American Sign Language is applicable)2
f.Visual and Performing Arts (dance, drama or theater, music, or visual art)1
g.College Preparatory Elective (additional year chosen from the University of California "a-g" list)1
 Total Required Courses15

You can check if the classes you took are an “a-g” approved course by checking the Course List Search.

How can I pay for the costs of school and living expenses?

Please review our DOR / Financial Aid page for more information.

NCOD students pay for school and living expenses in different ways.  A majority of our students are DOR (Department of Rehabilitation) clients.  DOR may cover school tuition, books, and supplies.

Living expenses, such as living in CSUN Housing (Lighthouse, an ASL-friendly dorm where the majority of NCOD students live), can be paid by using grants awarded by FAFSA, student loans, or on their own.

Are there any classes lectured in American Sign Language (ASL)?

Unfortunately, there are currently no classes offered in direct communication (ASL) except for Deaf Studies courses.

Where do all the Deaf/Hard of Hearing students live on campus?

Deaf/Hard of Hearing students typically choose to live in the Lighthouse LLC (Building 6 - Pacific Willow Hall), one of the Living Learning Communities in CSUN Housing.

Are there scholarships offered for freshman and transfer Deaf/Hard of Hearing students?

NCOD does not offer scholarships for incoming freshmen and transfer students.

We do, however, offer scholarships for current NCOD students.  Please visit the scholarships & awards page in the Current Students section.

For information about scholarships, please visit the CSUN Financial Aid and Scholarship Department