• Applicant or Admitted Student Banner: Various images of students around campus.

    Applicant or Admitted Student


Parking structure.Parking regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you park, make sure your student permit is visible and that you’re in a spot marked Student.

Starting Aug. 19, 2015, CSUN’s smoke- and tobacco-free policy will be enforced in all campus parking areas, including the inside and outside of vehicles. To learn more about the policy, visit the Clear the Air website.

Student Permits

There are three types of student parking permits: semester, academic year (two semesters) and student residential permit.

Students with either the semester or the academic year permit may park in surface lots B1 and B2, G3 and G4, B6 (adjacent to Plummer Street), E6 on Halsted Street, and the parking structures B3, B5 (off Darby Street) G3 (off Zelzah Street) and G9. See the CSUN map for locations.

Student residential permits are ideal if you are living in Student Housing. They are valid in all student lots as well as in G10 and F10.

Permits must be displayed on the front windshield in the lower corner on the passenger side. The entire permit must be visible, showing both serial number and security features.

Where to Buy

Students can purchase their parking permits when registering for classes online through the myNorthridge Portal. You may use an ATM/debit card or a credit card to make the purchase. The permit is mailed to your home address on record within two weeks. If you lose your permit, a replacement can be purchased for $10 at the Department of Police Services.


Motorcycles and scooters must be registered with the Department of Police Services if you want to park on campus. If you already have a CSUN parking permit, registration is free. Be sure to bring your up-to-date DMV registration. 

Short-Term Parking

Metered parking is located on Lindley Avenue and on Darby Avenue. All-day permits can be purchased at the information booths. You may also buy a daily permit at one of the yellow dispensers in lots B1, B6, E6 and G4 and in parking structures B3, B5, G3 and G9. See the CSUN map for locations.

Street Parking

Limited street parking is available in the surrounding neighborhood. Pay attention to posted signs for street cleaning days and hourly limits. Curb colors are enforced at CSUN. A blue curb means that a disabled permit or placard is required, a red curb means no parking and a yellow curb means loading and unloading only.

Roadside Assistance

The Amber Light Patrol is a safety service provided by the university. Parking enforcement vehicles with emergency amber-colored lights are available to assist with a jump-start or to help retrieve keys locked in a vehicle. The Amber Light Patrol can also help owners find their lost vehicles.

Handicapped Parking

You may get a temporary or permanent disabled placard from the Department of Motor Vehicles or, if you are an AAA member, from your local AAA branch. (Vehicles with disabled placards still need to display parking permits to park on campus.) Before visiting either the DMV or AAA, download the required form. Then have a doctor fill out the form. Take the completed form back to the DMV or AAA office.

There is no fee for permanent placards, but temporary placards cost $6. The temporary handicapped placard is good for 180 days, or longer with your doctor's approval. If you need to renew your temporary handicapped placard, follow the same procedure two weeks before the expiration date on your current placard.

If your car displays a valid university parking permit and a distinguishing license plate or state-issued disabled placard, you may park in green curb zones and metered spaces after all other disabled spaces have been taken.

Nearest AAA and DMV locations:

Triple A Logo
Northridge office
9440 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91325
(818) 993-1616

Winnetka office
20725 Sherman Way
Winnetka, CA 91306
(800) 777-0133 

Arleta office
14400 Van Nuys Blvd.
Arleta, CA 91331
(800) 777-0133