• Current Students Portal banner


To spare you from having to come up with creative ways to park (some students have confessed to offering rides to secure a parking spot), the university continuously strives to build and renovate campus lots and structures. Parking facilities are open seven days a week, but permits are required at all times to avoid citations. With the myNorthridge Portal, you can purchase permits online.

CSUN’s smoke- and tobacco-free policy is enforced in all campus parking areas, including the inside and outside of vehicles. To learn more about the policy, visit the Clear the Air website.

Lost or stolen permits

Report lost or stolen permits to the Department of Police Services. Replacements are available for purchase.


Motorcycles and scooters must be registered with the Department of Police Services if you want to park on campus. If you already have a CSUN parking permit, registration is free. Be sure to bring your up-to-date DMV registration.

Parking for persons with disabilities

You may get a temporary or permanent disabled placard from the Department of Motor Vehicles or, if you are an AAA member, from your local AAA branch. (Vehicles with disabled placards still need to display parking permits to park on campus.) Before visiting either the DMV or AAA, download the required form. Then have a doctor fill out the form. Take the completed form back to the DMV or AAA office.

There is no fee for permanent placards, but temporary placards cost $6. The temporary handicapped placard is good for 180 days, or longer with your doctor's approval. If you need to renew your temporary handicapped placard, follow the same procedure two weeks before the expiration date on your current placard.

If your car displays a valid university parking permit and a distinguishing license plate or state-issued disabled placard, you may park in green curb zones and metered spaces after all other disabled spaces have been taken.

Nearest AAA and DMV locations:

Triple A logo
Northridge Office
9440 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91325
(818) 993-1616

Winnetka Office
20725 Sherman Way
Winnetka, CA 91306
(800) 777-0133 

Arleta Office
14400 Van Nuys Blvd.
Arleta, CA 91331
(800) 777-0133

Roadside assistance

The Amber Light Patrol is a safety service provided by the university. Parking enforcement vehicles with emergency amber-colored lights are available to assist with a jump-start or to help retrieve keys locked in a vehicle. The Amber Light Patrol can also help owners find their lost vehicles.

Short-term parking

Metered parking is located on Lindley Avenue and on Darby Avenue. Meters accept coins (no bills or credit cards). Permits are not valid at meters (and may not be substituted for payment).

All-day permits can be purchased at Information Booth 1 (Lindley Avenue and Nordhoff Street), Information Booth 2 (Darby Avenue and Prairie Street) and Information Booth 3 (off Zelzah Avenue on the northeast corner of Lot G4).

You may also buy a daily permit at one of the yellow dispensers in lots B1, B6, E6 and G4 and in parking structures B3, B5, G3 and G9. See the CSUN map for locations.

Street parking

Limited street parking is available in the surrounding neighborhood. Pay attention to posted signs for street cleaning days and hourly limits. Curb colors are enforced at CSUN. A blue curb means that a disabled permit or placard is required, a red curb means no parking and a yellow curb means loading and unloading only.

Student permits

There are three types of student parking permits: semester, academic year (two semesters) and student residential permit.

Students with either the semester or the academic year permit may park in surface lots B1 and B2, G3 and G4, B6 (adjacent to Plummer Street), E6 on Halsted Street, and the parking structures B3, B5 (off Darby Street) G3 (off Zelzah Street) and G9. See the CSUN map for locations.

Student residential permits are ideal if you are living in Student Housing. They are valid in all student lots as well as in G10 and F10.

Permits must be displayed on the front windshield in the lower corner on the passenger side. The entire permit must be visible, showing both serial number and security features.

Where to buy

Starting with the spring 2012 semester, student parking permits can only be purchased through the portal. No additional fee will be charged for paying with a credit card.

To buy a parking permit, log in to your myNorthridge Portal. Select the Financial Matters tab and go to My Financial Obligations. Look for Purchase a Parking Permit. Select the permit type you want and make sure your mailing address is correct. (You can change your mailing address by updating your contact information on SOLAR.) After the payment goes through, print out a temporary permit for instant use. The official permit will be delivered to your address within two weeks.