STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
The learning outcomes of the undergraduate program are:
- The student will know and be able to process sensory information and respond to sensory information through the language unique to theatre.
- The student will know and be able to apply their knowledge of artistic and theatre processes through production participation.
- The student will know and be able to apply historical, cultural, and literary understandings to the creation of theatre.
- The student will know and be able to apply appropriate criteria to make informed assessments of quality in works of theatre.
- The student will know and be able to develop intra and interpersonal skills essential to the collaborative process in theatre.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE
To obtain the B.A. degree with a major in Theatre a student must have at least a 2.0 grade point average in all upper-division theatre courses (including courses transferred from other institutions and applied towards the requirements in the major), and must have taken at least 18 units of upper-division theatre courses in residence. Students may not receive credit for more than 72 units of theatre courses (including courses transferred from other institutions and applied towards the requirements in the major). Any exceptions to this limitation must be individually approved in writing by the student’s advisor and the Department Chair before registration will be allowed.
Total Units in the Major = 51
General Education Units = 48
Additional Units = 21
Total Units Required for B.A. Degree = 120
All theatre majors are required to complete four upper-division department production participations. Completed assignments should reflect the broad spectrum of theatre production areas, including, but not limited to: acting, directing, scenery, costumes, properties, lighting, sound, makeup, technology, management, and dramaturgy. Courses that require a production assignment as part of the course (TH 339, 361A, 361B, 362A, 362B, 363A, 363B, 367, 376, 382ABC, 383, 384, 390ABC, 443, 459, 490ABC, 498B, 498C, and 498D) will fulfill the production assignment for the semester during which the course is taken. TH 391 (0-0-0-0) carries no unit credit but validates production participation associated with above courses.
1. Program Entrance Requirement (3 Units)
- TH 102 Theatre: Form and Content (3)
2. Lower-Division Required Courses (17 Units)
- TH 108M Movement for Theatre Performance 1 (2)
- TH 108V Voice for Theatre Performance 1 (2)
- TH 155 Color and Design for the Theatre (2)
- TH 208 Introduction to Theatre Performance(2)
- TH 222 Mapping World Theatre and Drama (3)
Select 6 units from the listed courses
Coursework in this section must include two co-requisites production participations activities.
- TH 261/A Fundamentals of Scenery and Properties Technology (2/1)
- TH 262/A Fundamentals of Costume Technology (2/1)
- TH 263/A Fundamentals of Lighting and Sound Technology (2/1)
3. Upper-Division Required Courses (31 Units)
- TH 321A World Theatre and Drama I (3)
- TH 321B World Theatre and Drama II (3)
- TH 350 Cultural and Historical Perspectives for Theatre (3)
- TH 381 Management Techniques for the Theatre (1)
- TH 391 Production Practicum (0-0-0-0)
- TH 444 Principles of Directing (3)
Select a minimum of 3 units from the following:
- TH 339 Improvisational Comedy (3)
- TH 342 Intermediate Stage Movement (3)
- TH 343 Intermediate Stage Voice and Speech (3)
- TH 348 Acting the Text (2)
- TH 376 Production Preparation and Performance: Theatre for Young Audiences (3)
- TH 384 Touring Theatre (3)
- TH 390 Theatre Production Participation [Acting (1)
or TH 490 Theatre Production Participation [Acting (1)
- TH 545 Advanced Directing (3)
Select a minimum of 3 units from the following:
- TH 355 Principles of Stage Design (2)
- TH 361A Intermediate Scenery and Properties Technology (2)
- TH 361B Intermediate Scenic Art Techniques (2)
- TH 362A Intermediate Costume Technology (2)
- TH 362B Intermediate Costume Crafts (2)
- TH 363A Intermediate Lighting Technology (2)
- TH 363B Intermediate Sound Technology (2)
- TH 367 Advanced Makeup (2)
- TH 382A-C Theatre Management Practicum (1-3)
Select one course from the following (3 Units):
- TH 422 Theatre and Drama of Greece and Rome (3)
- TH 423 Theatre and Drama of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (3)
- TH 424 Theatre and Drama of the 18th and 19th Centuries (3)
- TH 425 Theatre and Drama of Europe and America from Naturalism to the Mid-20th Century (3)
- TH 426 Contemporary Theatre and Drama of Europe and America (3)
- TH 427 History of Costume (3)
- TH 432 Theatre and Drama of the United States (3)
- TH 433 The Musical Theatre in the United States (3)
- TH 475 Theatre and Drama for Young Audiences (3)
- TH 530 Theatre and Drama of Latin America (3)
- TH 531 Theatre and Drama of Asia (3)
- TH 535 Theatrical Theory and Criticism (3)
Theatre Production Participation or Electives (up to 9 Units)
- TH 390 Theatre Production Participation (1-2-3)
or TH 490 Theatre Production Participation (1-2-3)
or Electives selected from any 300, 400 or 500-level courses for which prerequisites have been met.