Graduate Placement Practice Exam
Winter 2011 - Dr. Alexandra Monchick
Part I: Multiple Choice. There will be 30 questions in total. Choose the best answer.
1. The main sung parts of the Mass Ordinary are:
a. Kyrie, Gloria, Alleluia, Credo, Ite missa est
b. Kyrie, Gradual, Alleluia, Sanctus, Agnus Dei
c. Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei
d. Kyrie, Gradual, Antiphon, Sanctus, Ite missa est
2. During the Baroque Period, the Stile brisé was developed by lutenists and imitated in:
a. Opera arias
b. French overtures
c. Harpsichord music
d. Chamber sonatas
3. The frottola was ___________.
a. An early form of the madrigal
b. A highly developed polyphonic song in Italian
c. A polyphonic sacred song in Latin
d. A homophonic secular song in Italian.
4. Which of the following letter schemes best represents the formal plan of a da capo aria?
5. Der Ring des Nibelungen is ____________
a. An music drama by Richard Strauss
b. a romantic opera by Wagner
c. the circular theater that Wagner had built for his music dramas
d. a cycle of four music dramas by Wagner
6. Which of the following describes Mozart’s first movement forms in his piano concertos?
a. Their second theme groups often modulate to the parallel minor
b. They blend elements of ritornello and sonata form, similar to the works of J. C. Bach.
c. Solo sections are primarily devoted to cadenzas
d. They share the same structure as the first movement of his symphonies.
7. Stravinsky’s late works employ:
c. Electronic music
8. Schubert favored which form(s) in setting his Lieder?
c. Strophic and Modified Strophic
d. Forms derived from the medieval ballade
9. Of the following, who was not a member of The Mighty Handful?
a. Mily Balakirev
b. Dmitry Shostakovich
c. Alexander Borodin
d. Modest Mussorgsky
10. Which is most associated with Milton Babbitt?
c. Total serialism
d. Music concrète
Part II: Listening
You will be played 10 excerpts of musical pieces spanning the time period from 600 AD until the present day. Please identify the period (and century if known), composer, title, and the piece’s entire form and/or genre. In addition, you will be required to identify at least THREE salient musical characteristics of the piece. You need not write in complete sentences
- COMPOSER: Machaut
TITLE: Rose Liz Printemps Verdure
TIME PERIOD: Medieval (14th Century)
MUSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: [melody, harmony (including any special cadences), rhythm, texture, and form]: Melismatic text setting, use of hockets, modal, Landini Cadences, Polyphonic texture, triple meter
- COMPOSER: Beethoven
TITLE: Eroica Symphony, Mvt. I
TIME PERIOD: Classic (19th)
GENRE/FORM: Sonata-allegro, Symphony
MUSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: [melody, harmony (including any special cadences), rhythm, texture, and form]: Main theme outlines a major triad, ¾ meter, dislocation of the bar line, a completely new theme appears in the development, exceptionally long coda