BACHELOR OF MUSIC - Composition
Prospective students interested in pursuing the BM program should audition in one of the performance areas during one of the regularly scheduled audition sessions, submit a portfolio of compositions, as well as additional documents demonstrating their interest and qualifications in the area of music composition.
Entrance requirements for BM Composition:
- Performance audition with the appropriate applied area (keyboard, woodwinds, voice, etc.)
- On-campus interview with the composition faculty, to be scheduled during the same day the instrumental audition takes place; no previous appointment required.
- Portfolio of 1-2 works (freshmen) or 2-3 works (transfer students), written in different styles and for various combinations of instruments/voices and accompanied by recordings, if available.
- Brief biography and a list of references familiar with your work as a student or composer.
The portfolio of scores and recordings should be submitted during the on-campus interview with the composition faculty, or before to firstname.lastname@example.org
MASTER OF MUSIC - Composition
Prospective students interested in the MM program are required to submit a portfolio of works as well as additional documents demonstrating their background and expertise in music composition. An instrumental audition is not required for the MM in Composition degree.
Entrance requirements for MM Composition:
This program is designed for students interested in studying contemporary art music styles and compositional techniques, and writing chamber, symphonic, or experimental electronic music. The Master of Music in Composition degree is particularly useful for students interested in pursuing further graduate studies in a doctoral program, ultimately leading to a career in the fields of concert music composition, teaching or academic research.
Prospective students should submit the following documents:
- Portfolio of 3-4 works written in contemporary styles, for various combinations of instruments/voices. Professional recordings, reading sessions, piano reductions, or MIDI versions of the scores submitted are strongly recommended.
- Transcripts from all previously attended academic institutions.
- One-page statement discussing previous musical background as well as current interests and goals as a composer.
- Brief biography and list of performances, as well as contact information concerning recommenders.
In certain cases, a phone or on-campus interview with at least one composition faculty may be scheduled after a complete portfolio has been submitted. Please email all materials required to email@example.com