At CAPSS we work to support first-time transfer students in the Department of Communication Studies at CSUN to complete their degree requirements in two academic years. We achieve this through a cohort academic experience, cultivating community, and hands-on advising.
By being a part of this program, you will be guaranteed seats in all assigned COMS classes, depending on the academic pathway you choose. These two pathways are: Applied and Advocacy. The Applied pathway is for students interested in private sector careers such as marketing, human resources, public relations, sales, healthcare, and management, among others. The Advocacy pathway is for students interested in non-profit, community engagement and outreach, social justice advocacy work, among others.
Student success in this program is achieved by:
- taking 15 units per semester OR 12 units in the Fall and Spring semesters and one class in both Winter and Summer Sessions
- having guaranteed seats in all assigned COMS classes while in the program
- receiving hands-on academic advising
- engaging in community and support building with peers and advisers
To be admitted into the program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Communication Studies major
- Be a first-time transfer student
- Hold and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.2 or higher
- Not enrolled in the Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR) program
- Be willing to take courses assigned by CAPSS advisers
If you are interested please complete the application by clicking on the Application link below and submit a transcript (unofficial or official) with your most recent grades and GPA by email. Only applications with all materials submitted will be considered. First-generation college students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Review of applications begins May 15th and last day to submit applications for consideration is June 1st at 11:59pm. There is limited space within the program; therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered for the CAPSS Program, complete the Application form by clicking on the link below:
Questions regarding the program can be directed to Dr. Melissa Tindage and Dr. Monica Gallegos by email.