The Emerging Media option was developed to educate students in the areas of XR (virtual, augmented and mixed realities) currently being expanded in many industries including entertainment, film, television, theater and art.
The new option will focus on interactive and immersive storytelling and will include coursework in 360-video production (cinematic VR), Augmented Reality, video projection and model-based VR developed for Oculus headsets. These are just a few of the new and exciting methods of production that students will be exposed to as they are guided to develop original projects in the Emerging Media option. Graduates will be prepared to work across Industries in digital entertainment and education media.
No portfolio is required at this time, however, students must have completed and passed with a C or better all the lower division CTVA courses: CTVA 100, CTVA 210, CTVA 220, CTVA 240 or CTVA 250 or CTVA 260.
Click here to view an INTRODUCTORY PRESENTATION (.pdf) to the option.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Lower division (12 units)
Students need to complete with a passing grade of C or higher:
- CTVA 100 Introduction to Mass Communication Art (3)
- CTVA 210 Television-Film Aesthetics (3)
- CTVA 220 Foundations Media Writing (3)
- CTVA 260 Intro to Digital Filmmaking (3) (See NOTE below)
NOTE: Transfers from the Film and TV Options can substitute either of the following classes for CTVA 260:
- CTVA 240 Fundamentals of Video Production (3)
- CTVA 250 Fundamentals of Film Production (3)
Upper Division Common Core (12 units total)
- CTVA 319 Criticism in CTVA (3)
- CTVA 305 History of Broadcasting (3)
or CTVA 310 History of American Cinema (3)
- CTVA 351 Anatomy of Film Producing (3)
or CTVA 480 Entertainment Media Management (3)
or CTVA 482 Network Program Development (3)
or CTVA 487 Soc. Controls & Reg of Media (3)
- CTVA 329 A & B Program Production (3)
or CTVA C Program Production (3)
or CTVA 494 A &B Internship (3)
Required Courses in Emerging Media (21 units)
- ART 210 – Animation Technology (* offered in Fall 2021 see note below)
(ART 200 -- *as a replacement for Art 210 in Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 only)
- ART 364 – Animation 3D 1
- CTVA 315 – New Directions
- CTVA 363 – Fundamentals of Immersive Production (* offered in Fall 2020)
- CTVA 364 – Interactive Production (* offered in Spring 2021)
- CTVA 462 – Intermediate Immersive Production
- CTVA 463 CS – Emerging Media Capstone (service learning course)
Please contact Professor Elizabeth Leister for questions regarding the Emerging Media Production option.