The R.E.D. Leadership Academy is a Matador Involvement Center program designed to provide current, active CSUN student leaders a co-curricular learning opportunity centered around self reflection, community engagement and the demonstration of leadership learning outcomes. Utilizing workshops, learning activities, and group discussions, this two-semester leadership program will provide students the tools and resources to make meaning of their campus involvement experiences and to further their understanding of their own leadership practice.
The duration of the program is from the fall semester through the end of the spring semester. Six (6) in person meetings will take place on Fridays during the fall semester and will focus on self-reflection and information sharing, to which an action plan is created. These meetings will run approximately one (1) hour and fifteen (15) minutes.
Workshop 1 - Public Speaking: Learning how to use fewer filler words and build confidence in presenting in front of a large group.
Workshop 2 - Relationship Building: Increase self-awareness and learn how to control your emotions during stressful situations.
Workshop 3 - Listening to understand: Active listening and understanding what others are saying.
Workshop 4 - Strategic Planning: Utilize journey mapping to create an outlined blueprint for reasonable and manageable goals.
Workshop 5 - Blueprint: Finalize the blueprint and learn how to stay motivated throughout the year.
Workshop 6 - Presentations
The spring semester will focus on implementing the action plan within the student’s respective organization and meeting with the R.E.D Academy facilitator monthly for updates. Two (2) in-person meetings will also take place on a Friday in the spring including a roundtable meeting in March to share out action plan updates to the cohort and a final presentation at the end of the semester.
At the conclusion of the program, all members of the cohort will receive:
- A R.E.D. Academy commemorative pin
- A R.E.D. Academy certificate of completion
- An invitation to participate in a rose ceremony at the Matador Statue
- A letter of recommendation signed by the Vice-President of Student Affairs will be awarded to the members that demonstrate the utmost dedication and commitment to the program, chosen at the discretion of the program coordinator
- Completed 2 semesters at CSUN or any college/university
- Currently involved in a club or organization at CSUN
- Available to attend all 8 in person meetings
Fall 2022 - Spring 2023 In-Person Meeting Schedule
9:30am - 10:45am on the following Fridays:
September 30, 2022; October 7, 2022; October 21, 2022; November 4, 2022; November 18, 2022; December 2, 2022; March 10, 2023; April 28, 2023
Application Process for 2022-23 Cohort:
- Submit the application form on MataSync: R.E.D. Academy Application
- Deadline to apply is Monday, September 19
- An invitation to interview will be sent to qualified candidates
- Interviews will take place on Thursday, September 22, 2022 and Friday September 23, 2022
- A formal offer into the Academy will be extended to qualified candidates
Please contact Clubs & Organizations at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.