Fall 2021 Planning Gateway

  • Fall 2021 Planning Gateway Faculty

    Faculty/Staff Planning Gateway

Faculty-Staff FAQs

UPDATED – Jan. 21, 2022

What is the mask requirement for CSUN faculty and staff?

Los Angeles County Public Health Order states that employers must provide and require employees to wear medical-grade masks as soon as feasibly possible and no later than Jan. 17, 2022.

The mask requirement includes:

  • Multi layers – 3 layers minimum
  • Nose wire
  • Water bead test – Water does not soak through mask and instead forms beads on top
  • Allows breathing with minimal restrictions

CSUN-provided masks indicate they are “Non-surgical” or “non-medical.” Do they meet CSUN’s requirements for medical-grade masks?

Yes, CSUN’s Environmental Health and Safety Department has tested and reviewed all disposable masks and confirmed all masks provided by CSUN meet the medical-grade requirements.

If you need a medical-grade mask, please contact your Department COVID Coordinator.
To request the N95 respirator, please complete N95 Respirator Voluntary Use Request Form.


Three types of acceptable masks.

Will the entire spring 2022 semester be online?

No, CSUN is beginning the first three weeks of spring semester with virtual instruction. This is a temporary measure that will allow what is anticipated to be a mid-January spike in COVID-19 cases to subside before a return to in-person learning. We are planning for on-campus instruction to begin on Monday, February 14 while continuing to closely monitor COVID-19 cases and all Los Angeles Public Health guidelines.

I’m already vaccinated. Why is CSUN requiring me to get a booster shot?

Per the CSU’s announcement on Dec. 22, CSUN will require faculty, staff and students who are accessing university facilities or programs to receive a vaccine booster shot to be fully immunized against COVID-19. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, studies show after getting vaccinated against COVID-19, protection against the virus and the ability to prevent infection with variants may decrease over time and due to changes in variants. The recent emergence of the Omicron variant emphasizes the importance of vaccinations, boosters and prevention efforts as the most effective protection against infection and severe disease.

When and how do I upload my booster self-certification?

In preparation for the start of in person instruction on February 14, 2022, all non-represented employees and students who are accessing campus facilities must provide certification of booster no later than February 4, 2022 or upon eligibility according to CDC guidelines.

For the most up-to-date requirements and information for all CFA (Unit 3) represented employees and all other represented employees, please visit: Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Information.

Schedule a booster appointment by visiting myturn.ca.gov.

To submit your booster self-certification:

Login to the myNorthridge Portal

  • Faculty/Staff:
    Go to the Policies and Procedures pagelet on the Faculty or Staff tab and select the EE Vaccine Self-Certification link Note: If you previously input your booster date, please be sure to go back and include the manufacturer details.
  • Students:
    Go to the Vaccination Self-Certification pagelet on the Home tab and select the COVID 19 Self-Certification link

Be Prepared: You will also need to input the date(s) of your first vaccination round and any booster, as well as the manufacturer of both.

I’m fully vaccinated and have received my booster shot. Why can’t I come on campus?

The health and safety of the entire community continues to be the driving force of every decision we make. Infectious disease and public health experts forecast a mid-January spike in COVID-19 cases. This extension will allow eligible members of our CSUN community to fulfill the booster requirement, and also take into account anticipated increased positive test results, isolation periods and caregiving responsibilities in our community.

I don’t feel safe coming back to campus in-person. What is CSUN doing to keep students and employees safe?

Our campus is working hard to ensure that all students and employees are safe and comfortable.

  • Vaccines and booster shots are required of all students and employees. Exceptions are available only for those with medical or religious exemptions, and those with exemptions are required to test negatively on a weekly basis. Over 92% of students and 97% of employees have certified/attested to being vaccinated.
  • In addition, CSUN requires daily self-screening to further reduce the presence of symptomatic individuals from attending in-person activities.
  • The campus continues to require masks in all in- door and instructional spaces.
  • We encourage social distancing to the extent it is practical, though the social distance 6’ mandate is no longer required.
  • The campus continues to frequently sanitize high touch surfaces, and hand sanitizer and cleaning materials are available throughout the campus.
  • The Klotz Student Health Center (SHC) does active contact tracing on campus cases in order to prevent transmission.
  • And, to further minimize the risk of transmission, the campus has had every HVAC system independently assessed by a third-party mechanical peer reviewer, P2S Engineering, and has installed MERV 13 filters to better capture virus particulates should they be present.

The campus follows all LA County Public Health mandates.

Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccination?

Vaccination appointments are free and available through myturn.ca.gov.

How and to whom do I show proof of vaccination? By when?

Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, faculty, staff and student employees, working on campus, are expected to provide certification of full vaccination status or request a medical or religious exemption. Please view Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Information | California State University, Northridge (csun.edu) for details.

You may provide this self-certification or request an exemption through the myNorthridge Portal. Once logged into the portal, under the Policies and Procedures pagelet of the Faculty or Staff tab, select the EE Vaccine Self-Certification link and complete the form accordingly.

This process is only for state-side CSUN employees. Auxiliary employees should check with their respective HR departments for details.

**For CSUEU and SUPA only: To opt out of weekly COVID-19 mandated testing, per testing agreements with your respective unions, CSUEU and SUPA employees will need to submit proof of vaccination by uploading their vaccination card through the same EE Vaccine Self-Certification portal link as noted above. If you are unable to locate your vaccination card, please visit LA County Department of Public Health.

What are the COVID-19 Testing Requirements?

Faculty, staff and student employees who do not self-certify that they have been fully vaccinated or who have been provided a medical or religious exemption will be required to participate in free weekly COVID-19 testing before coming to campus.

Weekly testing will be at no cost to employees and conducted during work hours. The COVID-19 test is a PCR nasal swab, which will be administered through a third-party vendor, Fulgent. Faculty, staff and student employees will be able to select if they prefer to test on campus or conduct their own test at home.

  • On campus testing – on-campus testing will be available Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at kiosks located near the Extended University Commons and University Student Union (USU) Freudian Sip. Please see map for details. Test results will be provided 24 - 48 hours after test date.
  • Testing from home – Fulgent will provide at home employee test kits. The test kits will be mailed to the homes of employees for self-administration and then employees will drop off the test sample at any FedEx location. Test results will be provided 24 - 48 hours after the lab receives the mailed test kit.

Employees who have certified their vaccination status may voluntarily choose to participate in testing, noting that testing on campus will not be an option for someone who is experiencing symptoms.

Please visit COVID-19 Employee Testing | California State University, Northridge (csun.edu) for information on how to schedule testing or have a test kit mailed to you.

What if I lost or misplaced my COVID-19 vaccination card?

If requested to confirm your self-certification with proof of vaccination documentation and you were vaccinated in California, you may access your vaccination record at https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/.

Where and how is my vaccination information being stored?

Vaccination self-certification will be stored in PeopleSoft. The data is subject to the same usage and security protections, as other sensitive information that is already collected and stored by the CSU.

How are supervisors aware that employees have provided self-certification or participated in COVID-19 testing before reporting to work?

Human Resources will notify appropriate administrators accordingly in order for them to administer campus safety protocols.

What do I need to submit in terms of documentation to receive a medical or religious exemption to this policy requirement?

Medical exemptions must be verified by a certified or licensed healthcare professional and provided upon campus request. Religious exemptions must be supported by a statement describing the applicable religious or other comparable belief that is the basis for the exemption and provided upon campus request. Employees should contact Employee Relations at er@csun.edu or 818-677-6566 if they have questions or for the appropriate campus procedures.

I’ve already tested positive for COVID. Do I still need to get vaccinated?

Yes, you will still need to get vaccinated. The CSU policy does not allow for exemptions for those who have had COVID-19, and public health officials recommend vaccination for people who have previously tested positive for COVID-19.

What will happen to me if I am unable to get the second vaccine in time to be fully immunized (allowing for 3-4 weeks after the first shot) before I go to campus?

If you are not able to be vaccinated prior to coming to campus you will need to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Weekly COVID-19 testing is free of charge to employees and conducted during work hours.

All employees will need to submit verification of vaccination or request a medical/religious exemption as outlined here Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Information | California State University, Northridge (csun.edu).

How will weekly COVID-19 testing be conducted?

Initial testing will need to be completed within seven days of you returning to work on campus and then weekly thereafter. Weekly testing will be at no cost to you and conducted during work hours. The COVID-19 test is a PCR nasal swab which will be administered through a third-party vendor, Fulgent. You will have the option to be able to select if you prefer to test on campus or self-administer at home.

  • On campus testing – on campus testing will be available Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at kiosks located near the Extended University Commons and University Student Union (USU) Freudian Sip.
  • Testing from home – Fulgent will provide at home employee test kits. The test kit will be mailed to the homes of employee for self-administration and then employees will drop off the test sample at any FedEx location.

Will there still be a mask requirement on campus if everyone is vaccinated?

The requirement for masks is based upon local and state public health guidelines, which are monitored closely. Currently, Los Angeles County Department of Public Heath (LACDPH) requires masks indoors for all individuals.

Will visitors to the campus, contractors, food vendors, etc., be required to get vaccinated?

Contractors who access campus are asked to ensure their employees comply with this policy prior to accessing campus. Visitors are required to comply with campus safety measures such as face coverings and completing the self-screening survey.

What will happen to employees who fail to get vaccinated?

Any employee who does not provide a Certification of vaccination as outlined here Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Information | California State University, Northridge (csun.edu) may be denied access to Campus and/or Campus Programs and be subject to progressive discipline. Employees who are exempted from vaccination for medical or religious reasons must participate in weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing to reduce the likelihood of transmission to the campus community.

Why does the vaccine mandate require immediate vaccination of students and non- represented employees but not represented employees?

All employees are subject to this policy; however, the university must negotiate the impacts of the vaccine requirement with each applicable labor union. The university could not subject represented employees to consequences for failing to meet this university requirement until the meet and confer process was completed.

What will be the disciplinary process for employees who refuse to be vaccinated but still need to access campus facilities to perform their duties?

Any employee who does not provide a Certification may be denied access to Campus/Programs and be subject to progressive discipline up to and including termination.

Who decides office on-site business hours?

On campus operating hours will be coordinated to provide support to students and employees on campus. Your appropriate administrator will make this determination based on consultation with your division’s Vice President.

Working from home has proven effective. Why are we coming back to campus?

We have seen many functions can successfully be accomplished in a virtual environment. We have also seen other services/functions are more effective on-site. Your appropriate administrator will be working with you to determine which functions will continue in a remote capacity and those which are critical to be performed on campus to support the success of our students, our employees, and our campus community.

What if I am not comfortable coming back to work on campus?

Determinations of on-site work will be based on the function you perform. If you are uncomfortable returning we recommend you discuss your concerns with your appropriate administrator to understand the varying safety protocols in place and identify potential mitigating solutions. Please share what more we can do to support you in this transition.

If your concern is related to a medical condition, please contact HR Benefits to engage in the interactive accommodation process. Employees with last name begins with A-K should contact Cari Morgan at cari.morgan@csun.edu and employees with last name begins with L-Z should contact Karyn Cote at karyn.cote@csun.edu.

How do I know what date I am returning to work on campus?

Your appropriate administrators will provide you a minimum of 21 days’ notice of a return to campus work schedule. A 30-day notice is preferred if operational feasible.

I am anxious about coming back to work. What resources do you have for me?

Returning to campus brings change and unknown scenarios for us all to deal with. It is normal to be anxious about this change. Our employee assistance program, LifeMatters is available to assist you with this transition. Life Matters provides short-term counseling services, webinars, as well as a multitude of resources. Please visit https://www.csun.edu/benefits/lifematters-eap.

Additionally, LifeMatters will be hosting virtual support sessions for our campus community over the summer to address anxiety with change and transition to on campus work.

You may also contact our Human Resources Employee Relations Office for additional support and guidance at 818-677-6566 or er@csun.edu.

I take public transportation to work and am uncomfortable doing so. May I continue to work from home?

Determinations of on-site work will be based on the function you perform. Our public transit entities have many parameters in place to assist with prevention of COVID-19.

Please see Metrolink Health and Safety page Here. Metrolink also has a new tool How Full is My Train?

Also please see LA Metro security and safety https://www.metro.net/riding/safety-security/.

How do I know if my colleague is vaccinated?

Vaccination status is an employee’s confidential medical information which managers and colleagues are not privy to.

How will vaccination requirements be handled with varying vaccination availability for our international students?

LACDPH supports the acceptance of international vaccines at their full schedule in lieu of a US approved vaccine. If a student can’t be vaccinated in their home country, they will have to follow airline protocols, and then quarantine for 10 days when entering or returning to the US. They can be vaccinated here, but won’t be fully vaccinated for five weeks.

How do I deal with visitors, colleagues, and/or students in my work area who are not complying with the safety protocols?

You may refer to the signage placed around campus and in office spaces/classrooms to remind all visitors/colleagues of the safety protocols. Additionally, tools will be developed to assist you in engaging in discussions with all visitors/customers, including students on safety expectations. You are also encouraged to reach out to your appropriate administrator for support.

I am worried about the air quality in my building. Can I get a HEPA filter?

In response to SARS-CoV-2 the University employed a third-party CSU approved Mechanical Engineering firm, P2S Engineering, to individually visually inspect every building air handler and provide recommendations to ensure the highest feasible mitigations that could be enacted consistent with agency guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Guidance for Building Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Building filters have been converted to MERV 13 filters and operationally adjusted consistent with agency guidance to the greatest extent feasible.

Desktop and/or mini HEPA Air Purification systems are only recommended for high risk, unmasked, less than six feet distancing encounters (e.g. a dentist appointment) or when all other agency guidance is infeasible. To date, Physical Plant Management has enacted all agency guidance to ensure the highest degree of HVAC mitigation measures in response to SARS-CoV-2 and therefore individual HEPA air purification units are not needed for office environments.

Environmental Health and Safety is hosting a number of informational sessions on campus efforts around cleaning, disinfecting and air quality. Please see the Fall 2021 Question and Answer sessions for times you may be interested in attending.

Many of our restrooms have access to the public. How do we know these places are safe and clean?

CDC guidelines indicate contracting COVID-19 from surfaces (fomite transfer) is highly unlikely, however Physical Plant Management is providing additional custodians to disinfect high touch surfaces (including restroom service) throughout the day, however the CDC recommends the use of hand sanitizer whenever touching frequently touched surfaces regardless of the last time a surface was cleaned.

Every restroom on campus has a plaque cards on the back of the entrance door which indicates the last date and time the restroom was cleaned.

Where do I get COVID-19 supplies?

You may obtain COVID related supplies from your Department COVID Coordinator. A list of Department COVID Coordinators is available under “COVID Contacts” on the Faculty/Staff Health and Safety page.

What safety protocols will visitors and/or contractors need to follow? Will visitors and/or contractors need to be vaccinated?

Visitors/contractors will be expected to comply with all safety protocols including wearing face covering, social distancing, completing the visitor screening survey, etc.

I work in trades and need to understand when it is ok for me to enter a space based on social distancing expectations?

All spaces on campus will have an occupancy sign with occupancies assign by the Department COVID Coordinator.

What are the protocols for employees who travel and come back to work on campus?

Employees will need to adhere to the LACDPH and state travel guidelines based on where they traveled. If fully vaccinated employees will not have to quarantine for domestic travel.

Will buildings be locked in the evenings to keep the space safe?

Beginning July 1, 2021, all campus buildings resume a pre-COVID building lock/unlock operational condition.

Why do we still need to complete the daily screening survey?

A screening mechanism is currently still required per Cal/OSHA for California employers.

How do we support our deaf and hard of hearing community with face covering mandates?

Face covering with clear plastic are available. Please ask your Department COVID Coordinator for access to these face coverings if you require one for your own use or if you work with our deaf and hard of hearing community. A list of Department COVID Coordinators is available here https://www.csun.edu/csunasone/health-and-safety.

I took my desktop computer home. How do I work both at home and on campus now?

Please consult with your appropriate administrator on equipment and technology needs you have to effectively perform your work.

If I do not work on campus every day, why do I need to pay the full parking rate?

Daily parking permit for $8.00 are also available for purchase. Day permits can be purchased at Information Booth 1 (Lindley and Nordhoff) or Information Booth 2 (Prairie and Darby). You may also purchase a day permit at dispensers in all parking structures and in all student lots.

Will the shuttle from the Chatsworth station run to CSUN?

Rides to and from the Metrolink Northridge station resumed in Fall 2021. Please contact the Parking Services Office for more details by calling 818-677-2157 or by emailing parking@csun.edu.

How do I get water on campus?

The water fountains on campus are working. In addition, water filling stations will continue to be available for employees and students. Please view this map for water filling station locations: https://www.csun.edu/sustainability/bottle-refilling.

My breakroom is closed. How do I bring my lunch from home?

Please consult with your Department COVID Coordinator for appropriate use of breakroom spaces. A list of Department COVID Coordinators is available under “COVID Contacts” on the Faculty/Staff Health and Safety page.