November 14, 2022
Make your holiday treats with sugar and spice! Our maple-spiced cookies can be prepared with or without frosting. These cookies were part of the Alumni Cooking Workshop series where guests learned how to make sugar cookies and decorate them.
Yield: 32 cookies
Maple Spiced Cookies Ingredients:
- 2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
Maple Spiced Cookies Directions:
- Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk.
- Cream butter with a mixer, then after 1 minute add sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl then add egg, maple extract, and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy, scraping sides as needed.
- Slowly incorporate the dry flour mixture into the butter mixture, setting the mixer at a slow speed.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts and roll out to 1/4 inch thick pieces on parchment paper. After, chill the dough for at least 1-2 hours or up to 1 day. Make sure the dough is fully covered.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Cut chilled dough with a cookie cutter and place it onto a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until lightly browned on the edges. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before cooling the rack fully.
Yield: 3 cups
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 9-10 tbsp room temp water
- Gel food coloring of choice
Royal Icing Directions:
- Combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, and 9 Tbsp of water into large bowl.
- Beat the mixture on high for 1-2 minutes. When testing consistency, lift whisk and see if it drizzles down smoothly and the pattern disappears in mixture within 5-10 seconds. If it has all those characteristics then your icing is perfect.
- If the mixture is too thick add more water 1 Tbsp at a time and if it is too thin try mixing the icing more or add a bit more of powder sugar.