Office of Student Involvement and Development
Department: Office of Student Involvement and Development
Location: Matador Involvement Center
Focus: CSUN CalFresh Outreach
Position: CalFresh Outreach Student Assistant
Hours: Up to 20 hours/week (some weekends and evenings required, as necessary)
Lead by the Activities Assistant, Food Programs, the CalFresh Outreach Student Assistant is responsible for student service work to support student success by assisting with students basic needs and providing good customer service to all students seeking assistance with CalFresh applications. Additionally, the CalFresh Outreach student assistant will assist in the developing, planning, implementing and evaluation of the CalFresh Outreach program.
- Become a knowledgeable resource on CalFresh eligibility requirements and programmatic nuances.
- Provide assistance to clients applying for CalFresh benefits to improve food security for low income households and individuals.
- Assists in planning and implementing of CalFresh Outreach goals and objectives. Responsible for building and sustaining community partnerships in alignment with program’s project goals and objectives.
- Responsible for strategizing and identifying campus and community groups, individuals, students, faculty, staff, and clubs & organizations for possible partnerships and for regular/constant communication and correspondence.
- Responsible for the execution of partnership related paperwork.
- Responsible for the creation of marketing materials to promote CalFresh Outreach.
- Responsible for assisting with the marketing of the CalFresh Outreach program through classroom presentations, AS Open Forum, speaking at club & organization meetings, dorm presentations, and campus wide events.
- Keep all tracking and reporting systems updated and accurate.
- Collect data and as assigned, develop and implement systems and materials necessary for the tracking of program efforts, processes, and outcomes.
- Responsible for the collection and maintenance of all required documentation associated with CalFresh Outreach.
- Research on-going opportunities for CalFresh Outreach collaborations.
- Responsible for assisting with social media platforms, including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, to recruit, communicate and inform the internal and external audience of CalFresh Outreach activity.
- Responsible for clerical administrative tasks as requested, to support the CalFresh Outreach program.
- Attend meetings as scheduled to discuss work with Activities Assistant, Food Programs and CSUN CalFresh Outreach team.
- Participate in on-going learning and training related to the CalFresh program and share these changes with the rest of the staff/advocates/volunteers.
- Assists in planning and implementing advocates/volunteer recruitment goals and objectives.
- Responsible for conducting advocates/volunteer interviews, orientations/trainings to provide an overview of the program and explains the protocol and process to potential advocates/volunteers.
- Responsible for notifications to students, faculty, staff, clubs & organizations about on-going advocates/volunteer service opportunities and responding to all CalFresh Outreach advocates/volunteer inquiries (phone calls, emails, etc.)
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records of CalFresh Outreach advocates/volunteer’s schedules, contact information, timesheets, and hours of participation.
- Provides on-site leadership for CalFresh Outreach advocates/volunteer activity.
- Assist clients by answering questions, providing detailed explanations of the CalFresh program, CalFresh benefits, pre-screening, and application.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Schedule drop-in hours at EOP and Women’s Research Resource Center.
- Understand and explain the misconception, fear, and myths about CalFresh participation.
- Assistant will oversee client cases each month and follow up with clients regarding completion, pending documents, interview appointment, and case outcome.
- Assists in the planning and implementing of CalFresh Outreach goals and objectives for the year.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and welcoming atmosphere for clients.
- Responsible for maintaining client files in accordance with confidentiality standards.
Skills/Background Needed for Position:
- Requires a commitment of at least one academic year.
- Must be available on Tuesdays for required weekly meetings from 3:30-5:00 pm.
- Be familiar with additional resources on campus that can contribute to student success.
- Desire to work with students in individual and group settings, utilizing interpersonal communication skills.
- Must have a desire to build leadership and presentation skills, become involved on campus, and help students.
- Ability to relate to others.
- Work is typically performed both in indoor and outdoor environments in possible inclement weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- In addition to walking, the employee may occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally sit for extended periods.
- A passion for working with food insecure community, the community at large and volunteerism.
- Valid CA driver’s license and insurance, employee may need to drive for some events.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Experience working in an office preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers and/or organizing community activities is preferred.
- Effective communication skills/ability to communicate clearly when dealing with sensitive topics.
- Organized and able to handle multiple tasks at a time.
- Ability to take direction and also initiate tasks independently (self-starter/self-motivated).
- Ability to build rapport with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to be flexible, open to change, adjust and adapt, and can operate in an evolving environment.
- Capable of providing insight and suggestions on how to best reach the student population.
- Detail oriented and attentive to “the little things.”
- Works well with teams and has the ability to be malleable.
- Must be willing to work occasional weekends and evenings.
To apply for this job, please visit CSUN Handshake
Christel Bowen Activities Assistant, Food Programs, Office of Student Involvement & Development Matador Involvement Center California State University, Northridge 18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge, CA 91330-8344
(818) 677-5111, (818) 677-5190 fax, or e-mail at email@example.com