Faculty looking for immediate help setting up online quizzes in Canvas have these options:
- Call or email the Faculty Technology Center (FTC) at (818) 677-3443 or email@example.com.
- Attend a Canvas Essentials or Studio Workshop.
- Access the Canvas Instructor Guide on Quizzes.
Canvas Quiz Resources
For a quick tour of the Canvas Quiz tool, watch this video for an overview of the tool. Below is a curated list Canvas Guides to help you get started with creating an online exam in Canvas.
- To build your quiz from the beginning, visit the Canvas Guide on How do I create a quiz with individual questions.
- To create question banks in Canvas, visit the Canvas Guide on How do I create a question bank in a course?
- To randomize your quiz questions, visit the Canvas Guide on How to create a quiz using a question group to randomize questions?
- To learn about Quiz settings, visit the Canvas Guide on What options can I set in a quiz?
- To learn how to use common Canvas Quiz question types, visit the Canvas Guides on Multiple Choice, True/False, Fill-in-the-Blank, and Essay quiz questions.
- To learn how to set a Canvas Quiz to show one question at a time, visit the Canvas guide on How can I create a quiz where students only see one question at a time?
- To learn how to provide accommodations on a Canvas Quiz for students, visit the Canvas Guides on Extra Attempts on a Published Quiz and Providing Extra Time.
For more Canvas guides about quizzing, visit the Canvas Instructor Guide on Quizzes.
Recommendations for Students Taking an Online Exam in Canvas
Below is a list of recommendations to provide to your students for taking an online exam in Canvas.
- Find a quiet area to take the Canvas Quiz with minimal distractions.
- Make sure electronic devices (laptop recommended) are charged or you are seated near a wall outlet.
- Take the Canvas Quiz in a place with a strong Wi-Fi connection.
- Do NOT use the Canvas Student App for online exams. Instead, use an Internet browser (Google Chrome is recommended).
Visit the Student Canvas Guide on How to take a quiz in Canvas for instructions on how to take online quizzes in Canvas.
Online Testing Strategies to Promote Academic Honesty
When you give students quizzes online on Canvas, there is no way to ensure that they will not copy, print or take photos of the exam. However, there are some steps you can take to minimize the risk of academic dishonesty. Visit the Online Testing Strategies to Promote Academic Honesty webpage.