What is Matador Moments?
Matador Moments is an online challenge that reflects on first-year student experiences for Freshmen and Transfer students. Students enter this challenge using their CSUN Portfolium account.
What is Portfolium?
Portfolium is an online portfolio and professional social media platform developed to showcase academic and career achievements.
How to integrate Portolium as an assignment in Canvas?
- Create an assignment in Canvas
- Under the Submission Type, choose External Tool – find Portfolium
- Assign a due date and save
This will launch Portfolium inside Canvas
Link the assignment to a New Course – Your course will show in Portfolium Connect
- Create New Assignment – paste the same requirements in the instructions you have in the Canvas Assignment.
- Choose Skills from a predetermined list (communication skills)
- Select a due date
- Select a Category – this is usually associated with the course type
- Select Assignment Scoring as Pass/Fail
Create Assignment – Publish immediately
Your assignment is now connected!
For more information on how to create an assignment in Portfolium watch this step-by-step video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28fY2nIkTE&t=2s
View the assignment
When students have activated their Portfolium account their name will show under students. Have students watch this step-by-step video on Creating Your Account in Portfolium.
In the Canvas Portfolium, students will upload their assignments directly to their Portfolium projects too. Grade the assignment in Canvas for the grade to show in the Canvas Gradebook.
Consider using the Portfolium external tool feature to upload any assignment in your class that will help the student promote creativity, leadership, teamwork/collaboration, and presentation skills and communication skills that will highlight students’ work in your class to employers.
Matador Moments Challenge details
The Matador Moments Challenge launched on October 5, 2021, and will run until March 18th, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
The Matador Moments Challenge all CSUN students to share their reflections about their experience attending virtual classes and in-person classes for the hybrid academic year. The participating students will reflect on the following questions.
- What have you learned from being a student during a pandemic?
- What have you learned about yourself?
- How were you able to overcome challenges?
- How can we support and motivate other Matadors as we transition back to campus?
- Video: Share up to two minutes (2-minutes) of footage.
- Written word - Submit original song lyrics, short essay, poem, or other text. Submit one (1) double-spaced page.
- Photography or Original Artwork: Upload up to five (5) images with brief detailed commentary.
- Multimedia Slideshow: Create a slideshow presentation (PowerPoint, video slideshow, Prezi , etc.) that encapsulates your experience with virtual learning. Share up to two minutes (2-minutes) of slideshow footage.
Students should join the challenge by uploading their submissions to the Matador Moments 2021-2022 page.
The winners of each category will receive a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
Take time this semester to invite the Portfolium Ambassadors to your class to help connect your students to Portfolium. To reserve time, visit the Portfolium Ambassadors page.