How to Locate & Access Free County WiFi Hot Spots
In LA County many students do not have access to a computer at home. Approximately 210,000 students who do have a computer at home, lack an Internet connection. To combat this digital divide, LA County wants to remind residents of this free digital tool which all residents can access for locating free WiFi spots throughout the County. To find available WiFi in your area, visit the How to Locate & Access Free County WiFi Hot Spots page.
Internet Connectivity Provider Options
Many residential and wireless broadband providers are taking special steps such as pausing data caps, providing some number of free months of service for new customers, or distributing mobile hotspots to households.
- everyoneon: Find low-cost internet and affordable computers in your area.
- FCC agreement (.pdf): States that providers will waive late fees, not cutoff service for lack of payment, and open hot-spots.
- AT&T: Free Wi-Fi, offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families, two months free access to low-income households
- Comcast: Free Wi-Fi, data caps paused, two months free access to low-income households
- Charter/Spectrum: Free Wi-Fi, two months free access to households with K-12 or college students
- Cox: Free Wi-Fi, one month of free access to low-income families with students
- Google Fiber: Wi-Fi hotspots in the service area.
- Sprint: Data caps paused, distributing mobile hotspots to students, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- T-Mobile: Follows FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge.
- Sonic: Three months of free access to households with K-12, college students, or senior citizens
- Frontier: Free Wi-Fi
- Vast: Free Wi-Fi
- Verizon: Free Wi-Fi
- Low-cost Internet offers
- Low-cost and refurbished devices
Device Loaner Program For Students
The Device Loaner Program is available for currently enrolled CSUN students. The program provides technology to students who are without a device such as a computer or internet hotspot so that they may continue their education uninterrupted. For more information, visit the Device Loaner Program page.