Fall 2021 Reminders for International Students

March 24, 2021

Take full advantage of your registration appointment to ensure full-time enrollment for fall 2020.Please visit the important reminders for continuing international students for more information.

Registration periods table
Registration periods
Registration-by-Appointment. Maximum load: 17 units* From your registration appointment through July 5, 2021
Nonrestrictive Registration. Maximum load: 17 units*
Wait listing is available. See the guide, Wait List for Closed Classes.
July 6, 2021 - August 29, 2021 (No appointment needed)
*Registration for repeating courses is permitted beginning Tuesday, July 06, 2021
Late Registration Period August 30, 2021 - September 24, 2021
Early Registration begins* Monday, April 05, 2021

********************UDWPE REMINDER********************

Due to COVID-19, the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam is temporarily suspended. Learn more at UDWPE.

Registration Holds
Foreign "F" Hold: IESC will start to review your proof of health insurance in April 2021. Your "F" hold will be removed automatically if you have all of the following.

Health, repatriation and evacuation insurance valid until at least December 23, 2021.

You are either enrolled full-time for Spring 2021 or have submitted proof of concurrent enrollment or were approved for part-time status for spring 2021.

You have emailed your proof of health insurance with your name and CSUN ID number in subject line.

Your I-20 is valid to cover at least the Fall semester 2021. You are required to extend your I-20 (if necessary) before your foreign hold will be removed. Please note that effective Fall 2021, the requirement for emergency evacuation and repatriation coverage will change to Emergency evacuation coverage of at least $50,000.00 (USD) and Repatriation coverage of at least $25,000.00 (USD) (also required by the U.S. Department of State). Please plan ahead and contact your health insurance provider and ensure that your policy will meet this requirement starting from Fall 2021. Make sure to visit the Health Insurance Requirement page for up-to-date information.

Other Registration Holds: Review your myNorthridge Portal for information on other registration holds. Get all holds removed prior to your assigned registration appointment. Do not wait until your assigned appointment date to get registration holds removed. Allow plenty of time for campus departments to process your requests.

Learn how to view your holds in the myNorthridge Portal.

Registering for Classes

Classes fill-up quickly. Class registration begins on June 7, 2021. You will receive an assigned registration appointment date. Learn how to view your registration appointment in the CSUN Portal. Enroll in classes on the day of your assigned registration appointment for the best selection of classes. Learn how to add classes.

The add/drop deadline is Friday, September 24, 2021. You must be enrolled in full-time units by this date. Remember that IESC must report your enrollment information to the Department of Homeland Security each semester. Meet with a foreign student advisor no later than the first week of classes if you have not been able to enroll in full-time units.

Full-Time Enrollment Requirement: Undergraduate students (bachelor's and second bachelor's) must enroll in at least 12 units every semester. Graduate students must enroll in at least eight units every semester. Part-time status is only authorized for special extenuating circumstances that fall within USCIS regulations. Before you drop below the full-time requirement, you are required to meet with a FSA to discuss your class schedule and the circumstances in detail. Do not drop any classes until the FSA has authorized you to do so.

Online Course Limitation: International students are permitted to take one online class or its equivalent to three units of online credits each semester to count towards their full-time enrollment. If you only have one class left to take to graduate, that class must be taken as an in-class, traditional course to be in compliance with legal guidelines governing your F-1 status.

Concurrent Enrollment: Students may choose to enroll in classes at another school while they are also enrolled at CSUN. Your SEVIS record would remain at CSUN even though you are enrolled concurrently at another school. If you choose to enroll concurrently at another school, you must do the following by the add/drop deadline.

Enroll in a minimum if six units at CSUN if you are an undergraduate student and in a minimum of four units at CSUN if you are a graduate student.

Submit the completed Concurrent Enrollment Online Request Form for fall 2021 to the IESC for permission to take classes concurrently at the other school.

After you have enrolled at the other school, submit proof of concurrent enrollment to the IESC within one week of receiving your electronic copy of the Concurrent Enrollment Authorization.

These requirements are in compliance with Department of Homeland Security regulations and cannot be changed under any circumstances.

Registration and Tuition Fee Payment
Payment information is available at the University Cash Services Office, Payment Schedule and Deadlines and How to pay your fees links.

Note that students who fail to meet the payment deadline will automatically be dropped from their classes, which may affect their F-1 status.

Travel Signature and Visa Renewal

Valid Travel Signature: If you are planning on travelling outside the U.S., make sure you have a valid travel signature for your re-entry to the U.S. Submit the Request for Travel Signature form along with your CSUN I-20 to the IESC. Each travel signature is valid for one year from the date it was signed.

Visa Renewal: If you are travelling outside the U.S. and need to renew your F-1 visa, you must request a travel signature. You are responsible for preparing all other documents required by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. For more information, please visit Visa Application.

Working in the U.S.

On-campus employment
F1 students are authorized to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, and full-time during summer and winter vacations. Please meet with a foreign student advisor to get the Verification of International Student Status form completed.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Are you graduating this semester? Do you want work experience in your field of study after you graduate? Please meet with a Foreign Student Advisor.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Do you have a paid internship off-campus offer? Make sure you request the CPT Authorization from a foreign student advisor at the IESC before you begin the internship.

Personal and Emergency Contact Information
To be in compliance with U.S. Immigration Regulations, it is extremely important that the university has current contact information for all international students at all times. Failure to update your personal information with the university will put your immigration status in jeopardy.

Need to update your contact information? If you have changed your address, telephone number, email or emergency contact information, simply update the CSUN web portal (SOLAR), and IESC will take care of the rest! Learn more about how to update your personal information in the Portal.