April 4, 2022
The International Student e-newsletter is celebrating its one year! We would like to celebrate this milestone with you and learn from you how we are doing. Please share your feedback by completing this quick survey!
We invite you to take a moment to review all the important information and resources here below to help you make the most of the end of your Spring semester.
The IESC Advisement team
Maintaining your International Student Status
This is a final friendly reminder! 2021 Tax Filing deadlines coming up very soon! Make sure to stay informed and meet your deadline. All international F and J students, and their dependents present in the U.S. during any part of the 2021 calendar year have some type of IRS filing obligation and are responsible for filing annual tax forms (also known as "tax returns"). WHAT you will file is dependent on a number of factors. The IESC has a dedicated webpage with relevant Tax Information and Reporting Requirements for International Students. This information does not replace consulting a tax specialist for your tax information needs. Please consult a professional tax preparer that specializes in international tax matters, or for specific questions related to filing your individual taxes.
Your deadlines are:
- April 18, 2022 (if you earned US sourced income in 2021) OR
- June 15, 2022 (if you did not earn US sourced income in 2021)
To register, please go to https://www.csun.edu/international/tax-information-and-reporting-requirements-international-students and click on Tax Information Webinars for International Students
Register now! - Spring 2022 advisement events and webinars are available
Plan ahead and sign up for these events. The webinars will be conducted utilizing Zoom. Don’t miss the opportunity to attend one of the live webinars or events to help you maintain your immigration status in good standing! Webinar topics consist of Curricular Practical Training, Q&A POST-OPT, General Immigration Advisement, and more. To register for our live webinars, please be sure to visit us at our Events and Webinar page.
Are you planning to travel this summer? Do you have to renew your F1 student visa? This webinar will provide students with updates on travel restrictions and F-1 visa advisory. Approximately: 1 hour via Zoom. Click here to register!
For a quick and easy access to all IESC events and to register, check out our newly EVENTS CALENDAR! Click on the image.
Hello Spring 2022 Grads! Here below are some questions that you should consider as you are planning your next steps:
- Apply for Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (Post-OPT). If you are graduating and plan to gain work experience in the United States, you may apply for Post-OPT. The Post-OPT application cycle has begun! For more information keep reading the next section about Post-OPT and review the application process from our Post-OPT website.
- Are you planning to attend another institution for Fall 2022? Make sure to submit your SEVIS Transfer Release form along with your admission letter to IESC. Instructions are listed on the form.
- Seeking to change your current F1 status to a different non-immigrant or immigrant status? You need to consult with an immigration attorney regarding changing your status. However, please be reminded that you must depart the U.S. within 60 days of completion of your academic program. Keep reading to learn more!
- Are you leaving the United States after graduation? If you are not planning to apply for Post-OPT, continue studies in a new academic program, or pursue the change of your non-immigrant status in the U.S., you must depart the U.S. within 60 days of completion of your academic program
Spring 2022 Program completion Date is 05/25/2022
- Once a matador, always a matador! Stay connected to CSUN and enjoy all the benefits of becoming a CSUN Alumni.
POST-OPT Reminders: Congratulations to International Students who are completing their program this Spring 2022! You may begin the OPT application process now. Students may apply as early as 90 days prior to the program completion date and no later than 60 days after the program completion date. Below are some important dates to remember.
Spring 2022 Program Completion Date: 05/25/2022
Requesting OPT start dates:Students completing their studies at the end of the Spring 2022 must choose a start date between 05/26/2022 and 07/25/2022
Remember!!! USCIS must receive your application no later than 30 days from the date your OPT I-20 was issued to you, but no later than the 60th day from your program completion date whichever is earlier. Please consider the IESC processing time (up to 3 weeks) for your OPT request in your planning.
Visit our Employment & Practical Training page for more information!
As we finish this Spring 2022 semester and planning for Fall 2022, make sure to read this information as it will help us help you maintain your SEVIS record and immigration status.
- The Foreign Hold: Does your student account show the F hold? To remove the F hold, please visit the health insurance requirement.
- Must enroll in full time course load for Fall 2022 (undergrad with a minimum of 12 units and graduate with a minimum of 8 units). If you will graduate in Fall 2022 and will enroll below full-time course load, please contact your International Student Advisor immediately!
- Maintain a valid U.S address at all times and update your CSUN Student Portal account. The U.S. address is required to keep your SEVIS immigration record in good standing. Any changes must be reported within 10 days of the change. Learn how to keep your information updated at UPDATE PERSONAL INFORMATION!
- Is your CSUN I-20 expiring soon? if you will NOT COMPLETE your degree at the end of Spring 2022 semester (05/25/2022), you must apply for an extension of your CSUN I-20 to continue your studies and remain in correct status with immigration for the future semester. Please visit Extension of stay for the required information and submit them at email@example.com for processing. IESC will be hosting an “Extension of Stay Advisement Webinar” on Friday, April 8, 2022, from 10:00 – 11.00 am. To register for the webinar, please click here.
- Are you currently on OPT? Don’t forget to report your required POST-OPT or your STEM OPT information in a timely manner.
The IESC highly recommends that you continue to keep in mind all health and safety protocols, and travel guidance available at the IESC COVID-19 FAQ webpage. We are yet to receive the updated SEVP guidance for summer and on. Please stay tuned and be sure to visit the IESC COVID-19 FAQ regularly!
Campus Resources for International Students
Your Career Center is here to help!
They are available at https://www.csun.edu/career/.
- On-Campus Student Employment is available for new and continuing students. To learn more, visit https://www.csun.edu/career/campus-student-employment.
- CareerLink is CSUN’s resource for job search and career exploration. Go to www.csun.edu/careerlink. Use your CSUN credentials to log in and explore!
- Handshake lists internships and jobs for CSUN students and it is available at https://www.csun.edu/careerlink/handshake. To learn how to navigate Handshake, watch their video.
- Specialized Advice for International Students at https://www.csun.edu/careerlink/specialized-advice-and-resources/international-students
The University Counseling Services (UCS) Welcomes You!
UCS is committed to supporting students’ mental health, well-being, and academic success through individual therapy, groups and workshops, crisis/urgent care services, and much more.
- UCS is open during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Bayramian Hall building, 5th floor, Room 520).
- If you would like to schedule a new or returning appointment, please contact them at (818) 677-2366, option 1, to schedule an appointment.
- For after hours, Mental Health Urgent Care assistance, dial (818) 677-2366, option 3.
During Spring 2022, Let’s Talk about what’s on your mind. The International and Exchange Student Center in collaboration with the University Counseling Services is offering a free online service to support you during the challenging times you may be facing. Whether you feel sad, stressed, anxious or simply need to vent, talking can help and we’re here to listen.
This service is conveniently available from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (PST) every Thursday through Zoom and is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. To drop-in for your first session via zoom, you may use the following information:
Zoom Meeting ID: 894 5099 5705
For additional information, please visit the University Counseling Services.
Are you looking to connect with other CSUN International Students? The International Student Support Group gives you the opportunity to connect with other students around a number of topics.
To join, please contact Dr. Sunil Obediah from UCS at (818) 677-2366 and select option 1.
The Oasis Wellness Center - Your Place to Relax, Revive and Succeed!
Visit the Oasis at https://www.csun.edu/oasis
Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4p.m.
Sign up for Wellness classes!
Free On-Demand Fitness & Mindfulness Classes. Over a dozen on-demand Fitness & Mindfulness classes are available on the SRC YouTube channel and over 30 different mindfulness and art videos are available on the Oasis Wellness Center YouTube channel.
Are you ready to play Matadors? The Student Recreation Center (SRC) is here for you! Check out their Spring hours!
To read more, please go to https://www.csun.edu/international/scholarship-opportunities-international-students.
The Associated Students International Matador Scholarship will be awarded to 5 continuing international students at CSUN. The amount of each award will be $3,000.00 per student. The scholarship is not renewable. Scholarship recipients will be chosen on the basis of academic ability, financial need and willingness to promote international student involvement at CSUN. Submit your application on time via CSUN's online scholarship database myMatador Scholarships.
Please review these important health and safety reminders when returning to campus:
- You must be fully vaccinated, including a booster shot if you are eligible, unless you have a medical or religious exemption. Submit your self-certification by logging in to the myNorthridge Portal going to the Vaccination Self-Certification pagelet on the Home tab and selecting the COVID 19 Self-Certification link.
- If you have a medical or religious exemption, you must take a COVID test each week that you come to campus. Here’s where to go for free COVID testing on campus.
- Before arriving on campus, take the daily health screening survey.
- Wear a medical-grade/surgical, KN95 or N95 mask while inside classrooms or buildings.
Let's keep taking care of each other!
Your International Student Advisors are ready to assist you!
Your International Student Advisors provide both in-person and remote advisement services. Please use the QR code or visit the International Student Advising Options webpage to learn about advising hours and connect with your International Student Advisor.
- Also, you may Contact Us at https://www.csun.edu/international/contact-us
Let's meet the IESC staff! We are delighted to introduce you to our SEVIS Coordinator, Mrs. Apisda Konkankit. She has been working at CSUN since 2013 and she is happy to share with you a little bit about herself!
Western Sydney University, Penrith, NSW, Austatlia
Assumption University, Bangkok, Thailand
Thai and English
Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts
Master of Professional Communication
Favorite place(s) abroad
Many places in Thailand, Australia, and Japan
Some of my interests: Arts, cooking, and gardening.
Advice for Internationally-minded students
If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you!
If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you!
Studying abroad is the single most effective way of changing the way you view the world.
Events: You are invited!!!
Experience global diversity and engage with vibrant cultures from around the world with Carnaval from the University Student Union! Enjoy authentic music, dance, food and art while participating in unique free activities from henna tattoos and tarot card readings to a fun photo booth for you and your friends. Drop by and experience the true beauty of diverse international and local cultures during Carnaval from the University Student Union...Where Matadors Belong!
Come get FREE food from the University Student Union during What You Want Wednesdays! Just making your busy days on campus a little easier and a lot more delicious with pre-packaged meals that are perfect for you to grab and go. Supplies are limited and will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Don’t miss out on this awesome opportunity to fuel up for free during What You Want Wednesdays from the University Student Union … Where Matadors Belong.
Mark your calendar! Spring 2022 Coffee Hour!
When: Fridays from 11am to 1pm (PST). Join us for Virtual Coffee Hour!
Meet new friends, play some games, get to know more about campus resources, and have a chance to win an Amazon gift card*.
Register here! After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.Hope to see you there!
Get involved!!! Do not miss the opportunity to get involved and participate in any of the virtual programs and events that CSUN offers. Check out the following links periodically and add them to your calendar! We are sure that you will find an event or program of your interest!
Haven't completed the survey yet?
Help us improve the IESC International Student E-newsletter with your feedback!
Click here to complete the survey.