What is a full-time course load for international students?

  • Undergraduate students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units each semester.
  • Graduate students must enroll in a minimum of eight units each semester.

When is it OK to be a part-time student?

You always need to request pre-approval to be a part-time student. You may be part-time under the following circumstances.

  • It is your first semester in the U.S., and you are experiencing difficulties with the English language.
  • You have medical problems and have a doctor's letter to prove this.
  • You are in your final semester and have only a few units remaining to graduate.

How do I request a release of my SEVIS record?

  • Go to the international student office in your current school and request the international student advisor to release your SEVIS record to CSUN.
  • When you request your SEVIS record to be transferred out of CSUN, the IESC requires you to complete and sign a Transfer Request Form. Proof of admission to your new school is preferred.

What is academic advisement, and how do I contact an academic advisor?

You need to communicate with an advisor in your academic department. This person will assist you with selecting classes for each semester. Visit the Enrollment Preparation page for information on college based advisement centers.

How do I register for classes?

  • Locate your CSUN User ID (example: John.Doe.32 or jd12345) and Initial Password from the "Activate CSUN User ID and Password" letter mailed to you from Admissions and Records. Call (818) 677-1400 if you do not have this information.
  • Visit and log in to your myNorthridge Portal, and enter your CSUN user ID and Initial Password.
  • On the university policy page that displays, read the account policy and click the Accept button.
  • On the next page that displays, enter and confirm your new password. Then click CSUN Mail Box or your alternate, non-CSUN email address. Then click the Create your Account button.

Once you have created your account, you will use your new username and password to log in to the web portal and register for classes and pay fees online.

How do I pay for my classes, and when is the deadline?

Go to the University Cash Services page for all the information. Students who fail to pay by the deadline will be automatically unenrolled from classes. Students who wish to utilize the Installment Payment Plan (IPP) must contact University Cash Services located in Bayramian Hall and sign a contract. Students who receive loans or scholarships from their home countries are responsible for making sure that the university receives all paperwork and payments on time.

What do I do if all my classes are full?

If all classes are full, it is the student's responsibility to look for all possible options. If no options are available before classes begin, then students must "crash" classes.

What does "crash" a class mean and how do I "crash" a class?

  • You will attend more than one section of each class beginning the first day of classes and participate in the class as though you are registered.
  • You can also request a "Unit Requirement Letter" from the IESC which states that F-1/J-1 students are required by USCIS to enroll fulltime.
  • You will request the professor via e-mail prior to the start of classes or in person on the first day of classes to add you to the waiting list.
  • If there is a seat available, the professor will give you a permission number, which you will use to add the class via the portal or at Admissions and Records.

What is the difference between a ticket number and a permission number?

  • A ticket number can be found online or in the schedule of classes. You use this number to register for the class before classes begin.
  • A permission number is used if you are enrolling in the class after classes have already started.
  • Be aware that a permission number expires by a certain date, or if you fail to follow all instructions.
  • If your permission number expires, request the professor to give you a new one.

What happens if I do not register full-time by the add/drop deadline?

Students who fail to register full-time by the add/drop deadline for each semester and do not have approved part-time status, will be considered out of status by USCIS and will have to file for reinstatement.

What is a "Reinstatement"?

Students who fall out of legal immigration status may request a reinstatement to student status by submitting an application to USCIS. You must meet with the international student advising coordinator or PDSO for information regarding options, procedures and consequences.

How do I find a job on campus?

  • You can visit the Office of Human Resources website for a list of job openings for student assistants or visit various campus departments and ask for job openings.
  • Graduate students may communicate with their graduate advisor about teaching assistantships or graduate assistantships.

How do I pick up my CSUN I-20?

Come to the IESC with proof of full-time enrollment within 15 days of the semester start. Failure to process your transfer I-20 in a timely manner may jeopardize your immigration status.

I traveled in the summer and entered the United States with my CSUN I-20. What do I do now?

Please submit photocopies of pages one and three of the I-20 and the front and back of your I-94 card to the IESC within 15 days of your arrival.

When do classes begin?

Verify start dates for each semester in the relevant Schedule of Classes.

How do I buy books?

  • You can go to and look up your classes to see which books you need.
  • You can purchase them online from this website and either have them delivered to you or held at the bookstore for pickup. This saves you time.
  • Alternatively, you can purchase them directly from the campus bookstore or any other bookstore.

How do I purchase a parking permit?

Visit the Parking and Transportation Services page for information and payment.

Where can I obtain a CSUN ID card?

A CSUN photo ID card can be purchased at Bayramian Hall 100 for $5. You will be required to show a photo ID such as a driver's license or passport.

Where do I show proof of immunization to measles, mumps, rubella and rubeola (MMR)?

Show proof of measles, mumps, rubella and rubeola immunization at the Klotz Student Health Center. If you do not have a letter from your doctor in English stating the date on which you received the immunization, you will have to either take the immunization, a blood test to prove immunity or sign a waiver.

Contact the Student Health Center for more information on costs and availability.

How can I get housing on-campus?

Information about on-campus housing, applications and contracts can be obtained at the Student Housing and Conference Services website.

How can I find housing off-campus?

Information about off-campus housing can be obtained at the Student Housing and Conference Services website and/or you can pick up a Room for Rent list from the IESC.

Where do I purchase health insurance?

Health insurance can be purchased at

Alternative Health Insurance Requirements

While the campus health insurance plan is affordably priced and is easy to purchase and use, international students may decide to use an alternative insurance policy to meet the health insurance requirement. In order for the IESC to approve a student's alternative health insurance plan, the student must provide to the IESC documentation of the following criteria.

  • The medical benefit must be at least $100,000 per condition
  • The medical evacuation benefit must be minimum $22,500 (provides transportation to your home country in case of severe illness)
  • The repatriation benefit must be at least $7,500 (provides transportation of your remains to your home country in case of death)
  • The deductible must not exceed $500 per injury or illness
  • The waiting period for pre-existing conditions must not be more than six months
  • The policy premiums must be fully prepaid at least to the end of the current semester of enrollment. Premiums may not be paid monthly, quarterly or come due during the semester.

What about local, U.S. insurance plans such as Family Health Plus (FHP), Blue Cross and Kaiser?

Local, U.S. insurance policies often meet all of the California State University requirements for international students except for items two, three and six listed above. Items two and three can be met by purchasing a separate medical evacuation and repatriation policy from Requirement six can be met as long as the student is willing to prepay premiums on the local insurance policy and the provider will allow it.

How do I submit an insurance claim?

Go to and click on your plan’s claim provider to access your claim form.

What is the unofficial transcript?

The unofficial transcript is an informal record of all the classes you have taken at CSUN, as well as your grades and GPA. You can print your unofficial transcript by logging on to the myNorthridge Portal.

What is the DPR?

DPR stands for Degree Progress Report. It can be obtained at the myNorthridge Portal. It is a summary of the units you have completed, the remaining units and other requirements for the completion of your degree.

I need information about Scholarships and Financial Aid.

International students are not eligible for Financial Aid. A few merit-based scholarships are offered by CSUN. For more information, visit the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department.

How do I get credit for classes I took at a community college?

Students who take classes at other schools and want those units transferred to CSUN are responsible for making sure that official transcripts reach Admissions and Records. Students are advised to allow for sufficient time to evaluate and process transfer credits.