On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment for International (F1 and J1) Students

On-campus employment is a benefit of an F-1 and J-1 student. You are eligible to work on-campus on a part-time basis, which is 20 or fewer hours per week when school is in session. During vacation periods (summer and winter), if you are eligible and intend to register for the next semester, you may work on-campus for 21 or more hours, which is defined as full-time employment. To work on campus, you will need an International Student Verification Form and a Social Security number (SSN).

International students seeking on-campus employment are responsible for securing employment on their own merit. Students are advised to visit campus departments, service areas, such as food courts and apply in person. On-campus employment generally includes student assistant positions, and teaching and graduate assistantships. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school's premises, (including on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria), or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school. Employment with on-site commercial firms, such as a construction company working on a school building, without providing direct student services, is not deemed on-campus employment.

In the case of a transfer in SEVIS, the student may only engage in on-campus employment at the school in jurisdiction of the student's SEVIS record.

F-1 students who enter the United States on an "Initial" I-20 may not begin on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the actual start of classes.

Application Procedure

  1. Apply for a job on-campus.
  2. Once you are hired, check with the Office of Human Resources (located in University Hall 165) OR the University Cooperation (TUC) to obtain your new hire sign-in packet.
  3. Obtain the Verification of International Student Status Form from the IESC Forms and Process webpage. Submit the Verification of International Student Status Form to the International and Exchange Student Center (IESC) via email at to be signed by a foreign student advisor. IMPORTANT: This type of request can take 7-10 business days to complete.
  4. Student will submit the completed Verification of International Student Status form to the appropriate department the Office of Human Resources OR the University Cooperation (TUC).

IMPORTANT: Please visit the Social Security Number (SSN) accordion and make sure to follow the steps on how to apply for a social security number if you do not have a SSN.

Eligibility Requirements

  • All international students seeking on-campus work authorization must be in correct F-1 or J-1 immigration status.
  • Undergraduate students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 and graduate students must have a GPA of 3.0.
  • There is a university unit enrollment limit that applies to students seeking on-campus work.  Please refer to the Human Resources Office for information regarding this university policy.  Click here for the Human Resources contact information.  

Social Security Number (SSN)

  • All individuals who will be employed in the United States must have a SSN.
  • Students who do not have a SSN must first apply for one through the Social Security Administration.
  • Newly admitted students who wish to work on-campus in their first semester must check in with their foreign student advisor first to ensure that their SEVIS records are activated before they apply for a SSN.

How to apply for a SSN:

  • Student must request an On-Campus Employment Verification Letter from the IESC. This letter will verify that the applicant is an international student that has been authorized to work on campus.
  • Student must submit to the IESC a copy of their on-campus employment offer letter along with their On-Campus Employment Verification Letter Request to the IESC. The offer letter must include the Employer Identification Number. (Download a sample of the offer letter.)
  • The student must take both letters along with his or her CSUN I-20 form and valid passport (which includes his or her student visa and I-94 arrival/departure card) to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office to apply.
  • Students may go back to the SSA office within three days to ask if they have been issued a number. If they have, the SSA will give the student a printout with their SSN on it. The student will receive his or her Social Security card in the mail in about 10 business days.

Please note that it may take three days to a month to obtain a SSN. SSA will not process an application if it is more than 30 days in advance of the scheduled job start date.

Important Information

  • International students are eligible to work on-campus on a part time basis, which is 20 or fewer hours per week when school is in session.
  • If you are eligible and intend to register for the next semester, you may work on campus for 21 or more hours, which is defined by the USCIS as full-time employment during vacation periods (summer and winter).
  • The on-campus work permits have expiration dates and must be renewed prior to expiration.
  • Government sponsor students are responsible for notifying their sponsoring government of their intention to engage in on-campus employment.
  • Students who fall out of status are not eligible to work on campus. They must immediately stop working so that they do not accrue unauthorized employment time.


Please contact a foreign student advisor if you have additional questions.