Insurance and Risk Management -2022

  • Student Professional Liability Insurance - Banner

Student Professional Liability Insurance

The CSU purchased a systemwide professional liability insurance program to provide coverage for students enrolled in Nursing, Allied Health, or Education curricula. This Systemwide program is designed to satisfy the requirements of host institutions that students maintain professional liability insurance in order to participate in programs offered under affiliation agreements with the University. This insurance program includes professional and personal liability coverage with broad protection for the students, affiliates, and the University. The Systemwide Student Professional Liability Insurance Program became effective on August 1, 2006.

The SPL insurance program covers the student, the University, and the host institution while the student is engaged in the clinical experience. It is intended to meet the contract requirements of the medical institution for their protection against some action by the student or patient. The SPL is not intended to replace any professional liability (malpractice) insurance the individual student may carry for incidents outside of the clinical experience situation.

The decision to secure individual professional liability insurance is made by each student to meet individual needs. Various insurance companies provide policies with differing terms, conditions and limits. The need for separate individual PL insurance is also different for each student and those choices should be made with the advice of licensed insurance brokers or attorneys.

Student Academic Field Experience For Credited Liability Insurance Program (SAFECLIP)

On July 1, 2007, a new insurance policy was put in force to cover “professional and personal/general liability” of enrolled students performing community service or volunteer work for academic credit, and students enrolled in radio, television or film credential programs. This policy protects the student, the university, and the community partners at a very low cost /year per student affected. Executive Order 1012 was issued to authorize the campus presidents to establish a SAFECLIP fee.

Professions under the SPLIP are as follows:

Nursing Professions

Case Manager
Geriatric Nursing Assistant
Nurses Aide-Facility Setting
Nurses Aid-In-home Setting
Nursing Assistant-Facility Setting
Nursing Assistant-In-home Setting
Home Health Aide
Registered Nurse
Nurse Practitioner:

  • Geriatric/Adult/Family Planning-GYN
  • OB-GYN/Acute Critical Care OB-GYN
  • Pediatric/Neonatal/Family Practice/Acute Care
  • Psychiatric

Allied Health Professions

Art Therapist
Athletic Trainer
Blood Bank Technician
Bio-Medical Technician
Cardiographic Technician
Certified Laboratory Technician
Certified Medical Assistant
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
Chiropractic Assistant
Circulation Technician
Clinical Laboratory Technician
Community Health Assistant
Community Health Technician
Corrective Therapist
Dance Therapist
Dental Hygienist
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Dialysis Technician
EEG (Electroencephalogram) Technician
EKG (Electrocardiogram) Technician
Enterostomal Therapist
Exercise Physiologist
Health Educator
Histologic Technician
Hospital Pharmacy Technician
Laboratory Aide
Massage Therapist
Medical Assistant
Medical Laboratory Technician
Medical Records Administrator
Medical Technician Assistant
Mental Retardation Worker
Music Therapist
Nuclear Medical Technician
Occupational Therapist
Occupational Therapist Assistant
Optometry Assistant/Technician
Orthopedic Assistant
Personal Trainer
Pharmacist Technician
Physical Therapist
Physical Therapist Assistant
Physician Assistant Podiatric Asst
Radiation Therapist
Radiological Technician
Recreation Therapist
Rehabilitation Assistant
Rehabilitation Therapist
Respiratory Care Practitioner
Respiratory Care Provider
Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist Technician
Social Worker
Speech Hearing Therapist
Speech Language Pathologist
Sports Medicine Instructor
Sports Medicine Therapist
Surgical Technician
Vascular Technologists
X-Ray Machine Operator 

Social Work/Social Welfare Professions

Alcohol/Drug Counselor
Bodywork Counselor
Career Counselor
Clinical Counselor
Counselor Educator
Forensic Counselor
Genetic Counselor
Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
Licensed Professional Counselor
Life Coach Counselor
Marriage/Family Counselor
Mental Health Counselor
Pastoral Counselor
Psychological Counselor
Rehabilitation Counselor
School Counselor

Education/Teaching Professions

School Administration:

  • Admittance
  • Desegregation
  • Enrollment
  • Expulsion
  • Extracurricular Activities
  • Integration

Educational Instruction:

  • Career Guidance
  • Guidance Counseling
  • School Counselor
  • Student Consumerism
  • Teaching Assistants

Student Professional Liability Insurance FAQs

The establishment of two new general and professional liability insurance programs designed to protect students involved with internships, fieldwork experiences, and service learning has generated a number of questions for students, faculty and host organizations. Addressing these questions may help alleviate concerns and foster increased University engagement with the community, while managing risks of student injury as well as the potential for costly litigation against faculty, staff and the university.

What is the difference between SPLIP and SAFECLIP?

  • Basically, both programs offer the same general and professional liability insurance to the applicable students, the CSU, and CSUN employees, staff and faculty; the major difference is in the students covered.
  • SPLIP covers CSUN students enrolled in the health professional practicum or the education credential programs. These are the students participating in nursing and allied health and teaching or education fieldwork. 
  • SAFECLIP covers students performing community service or volunteer work for academic credit and/or students in radio, television or film academic programs.

Why are there two separate programs?

Insurance underwriters determined that there were greater risks for students involved in internships in health and nursing and allied fields than in the less defined service learning fieldwork, so the SPLIP program was negotiated by CSU Risk Management first. That experience made it easier to negotiate SAFECLIP at a lower rate.

Does a site agreement need to be in place in order to provide coverage under either of these programs?

Yes—a site agreement must be in place in order for this insurance protection to be in effect. The agreement for academic placement between the University and a host entity is essential to establish the educational objectives of the experience and to detail responsibilities should an assigned student be injured or accused of causing injury to or damaging property of others. Once an agreement is in place, multiple placements may be facilitated.

How are insurance premiums paid?

Each university in the CSU is billed by CSURMA (our self-insured CSU Risk Management Authority) based on the number of students in the programs. Each university then determines if the costs will be passed on to affected students. Since these are “blanket” policies, all students enrolled in the field work are covered regardless of who pays the premium.

Will SPLIP and SAFECLIP require changes in the site agreement’s General Provisions language to include the new insurance programs?

Yes—as the opportunity arises, the existing agreement should be re-written by Purchasing & Contracts Administration to recognize this insurance. New agreements will have additional wording to reflect these changes.

What are the responsibilities of University faculty and staff toward student internships and placements in the external work environment?

Faculty and staff have a high level of responsibility for assuring the students’ safety when identifying, approving and placing students in the external work environment. It is similar to the responsibility faculty take on for a normal laboratory course or field trip experience; but the external work environment is different in that there is no direct University supervision. It is therefore an important part of any off-campus assignment that faculty and staff conduct site inspections and verify that environmental and occupational safety requirements are consistent with University and/or “industry standards.

If a student is injured during an internship or service learning experience, how are the related medical bills handled?

  • The protection for students placed in internships and service learning fieldwork experiences is determined by the site agreement. The CSUN standard internship and service learning agreement, which is processed through Purchasing and Contracts Administration, contains wording that makes it clear that the students shall at no time be considered as officers, employees, and agents or volunteers of the University. Therefore, the students are not covered by the University’s Workers’ Compensation insurance program.
  • In addition, the usual contract wording states, “The student(s) shall be considered employees of the Community Partner (CP) for the duration of the internship/service learning placement, or where that is not possible, CP will sign up student(s) as an “official volunteer” of CP for purposes of Workers’ Compensation and liability coverage.”
  • Therefore, the University expects that the cost of injuries to these students during the placement will be covered by the host entity’s Workers’ Compensation insurance. Any deviation from the standard agreement wording should be negotiated through the Risk Manager and Purchasing/Contracts Administration for possible alternatives. It is not the intention of the University to prevent internship or service learning students from serving the community organization solely on not meeting minimum Workers’ Compensation insurance requirements.

Does SPLIP or SAFECLIP replace Professional (Malpractice) Liability insurance purchased by an individual student?

No—these programs do not replace professional liability insurance a student may want or need for protection outside of the academic situation. They differ in that personal professional liability insurance does not protect the University or the host institution. It continues to be good risk management practice for students in nursing and allied health programs to maintain their own personal professional liability insurance because of the risks involved, demands of employers and unusual situations students may find themselves.

How can I obtain more information?

The University Risk Manager, and the Purchasing & Contracts Administration can provide one-on-one training and issue resolutions for faculty and/or departments that need or want additional guidance. A good place to start is at the Purchasing & Contracts Administration website.

These departments are obligated to help reduce risk exposures for students without hampering the learning opportunities or impeding experimental education pedagogies. We believe that if department coordinators and faculty had greater awareness of the risks (and duty owed) involved with student placements, they would eagerly comply with the basic service learning requirements in EO 1069.

For information regarding the SPLIP policy, contact The California State University Risk Management Authority at the Office of the Chancellor at (562) 951-4850.