The minor in Japanese is designed to provide students with language training and an understanding of Japanese society and culture as revealed through the study of the language and literature. Students with previous studies in Japanese should consult the advisor for advanced placement and course selections to complete the minor. Successful completion of the minor in Japanese will be noted on the student’s official CSUN transcript.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate fluency in the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in Japanese.
- Demonstrate ability to reason and present sound arguments using the Japanese language.
- Analyze and clearly articulate interpretations of literary texts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Japanese culture and tradition.
Prerequisites for the Minor
JAPN 101 Elementary Japanese I (4)
JAPN 102 Elementary Japanese II (4)
1. Lower Division Required Courses (8 units)
JAPN 201 Intermediate Japanese I (4)
JAPN 202 Intermediate Japanese II (4)
2. Lower Division Elective Course (3 units)
Select one course from the following:
FLIT 250 Traditional Culture of Japan (3)
JAPN 105 Kanji I (3)
JAPN 204 Kanji II (3)
JAPN 205 Kanji III (3)
3. Upper Division Required Courses (9 units)
Select three courses from the following:
FLIT 370 Modern Japanese Culture (3)
FLIT 402 Japanese Literature (3)
JAPN 300 Advanced Japanese Conversation (3)
JAPN 304 Advanced Grammar and Composition (3)
JAPN 305 Language and Culture in Japanese (3)
JAPN 306 Advanced Reading and Composition (3)