Students who complete the MEIS Minor will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to speak, comprehend, and write one of the major Middle Eastern languages at an elementary level.
- Identify the major events of Middle Eastern and Islamic history, and articulate the internal and external forces that led up to and shaped these events.
- Explain the current cultural, political, and religious challenges facing Middle Eastern peoples.
- Describe and analyze significant Islamic religious beliefs, ethics, practices, philosophies and cultural expressions.
- Describe the principal social contours of Islamic communities, families, and gender relations, and explain the complex and multifaceted forms of identities
- Have knowledge of minorities (ethnic, cultural, religious) within the larger Middle Eastern societies, as well as the dynamics of relationships among diverse groups.