The Gender and Women’s Studies Department at CSUN teaches students to view the world with a critical analytical approach grounded in a social justice framework.
- Identify and explain core concepts in the field of gender, women’s and sexuality studies.
- Critically analyze historical and contemporary issues from a feminist perspective.
- Demonstrate proficiency in specialized topics in the field that may include knowledge of feminist movements, global sexualities, intersectional, transnational and decolonial theories, masculinity studies, critical development studies, gender-based violence, and gender and human rights, etc.
- Articulate and employ theories and methods of feminist research and knowledge production.
- Develop effective communication skills through oral and written assignments.
- Obtain media literacy and information competency by learning how to use visual media and new technologies to assess, interpret and generate information from a variety of sources.
- Develop a sense of feminist agency to further principles of equality and justice through civic engagement within and beyond CSUN.