Thomas Matthew Magness Graduate Memorial Fund
Thomas Matthew Magness Graduate Memorial Fund awards funds of up to $1000 annually to Department of English graduate students to present at a domestic, off campus, professional conference. This award honors the memory of Thomas Matthew Magness, undergraduate and graduate honors student at CSUN. While starting as a History major, Tom soon discovered that his passion for writing was first and foremost in his life and he became an English major. In 1977 he received a Fellowship to USC; however, his career path led him into the insurance business and he was never able to complete his PhD. He continued to write at the Oviatt Library during nights and weekends for many years and always had very fond memories of his years at CSUN. This memorial has been created by Tom’s family to support the academic studies of other English graduate students.
The exact amount and number of the awards will be determined annually by the department based on the funds available and the number of applications received in that year. The applications will be reviewed by a department committee, convened each year by the chair of the English Department. Preference will be given to students who have not been awarded support during the last two consecutive cycles.
In order to apply for funds all applicants must be:
- A graduate student in the CSUN English Department
- In good standing. (Priority will be given to students with a programmatic GPA of 3.5 or higher.)
- Currently enrolled at CSUN in at least one (1) English course during the academic year for which he/she is applying for the scholarship
- Submit Thomas Matthew Magness Graduate Memorial Fund form, which can be collected from English Department Main Office located in ST 706.
- Submit invitation or proposal acceptance letter from the conference organizer.
- Complete CSUN Travel Authorization Form
Completed application is due to Department Main Office by February 15, 2016. If you have any questions about the fund, please contact professor Santosh Khadka, Chair of the Amenities and Awards Committee @ email@example.com.