Applicants must meet the university requirements for post-baccalaureate admission
- Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
- Have been in good standing at the last institute attended.
- Have at least a 2.5 grade point average in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted, independent of when the baccalaureate was granted. The entire semester or quarter in which the 60-90 units began will be used in this calculation. Lower division courses or courses taken in extension (except in concurrent enrollment at CSUN in the upper division), after obtaining the bachelor’s degree will be excluded from the calculation.
In addition to the university requirements, the English department has three admission status categories:
- Conditionally Classified
- Denied Entrance
A. Admission Requirements
In addition to the University requirements, the English department requires that students meet one of two conditions before being admitted into the department program:
- Students with a B.A. in English must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in upper division English courses. This GPA is determined by the cumulative GPA of all approved upper division English courses.
- Students with a B.A. in a subject other than English must have a minimum of 24 semester units of approved upper division English courses or their equivalent (as determined by their disciplinary relevance) with a minimum 3.0 GPA in these courses. This GPA is determined by the cumulative GPA of all approved upper division English courses.
One of these two conditions must be met before a student may be admitted into the English department M.A. program. Applicants who, upon departmental evaluation, do not possess enough qualifying units or the required GPA need to take additional undergraduate upper division English courses to make up any deficits before admission into the program.
B. Classified Status
A classified student has fulfilled the following three criteria:
- A B.A. in English or has already completed 24 upper division-approved English or their equivalent (as determined by their disciplinary relevance) semester units (upper division English GPA minimum required: 3.0).
- A passing score on the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) or a score of 3 or greater on the written section of the GRE can exempt students from the UDWPE.
- A GPA of 3.0 or greater in upper division English and a 3.0 in his or her last 60 units.
C. Denied Students
Denied students fall into one or more of these categories:
- Do not have a B.A. in English.
- Do not have 24 upper division approved English semester units and/or the equivalent, as determined by their potential to be offered in English department curriculum.
- Do not have the required minimum GPA of 3.0 in upper division English units.
Denied students may not take any graduate level courses (500- to 600-level).
Note that the English department’s requirements for classification are more stringent than the University’s requirements.
The UDWPE cannot be waived, but if a student passed this test or its equivalent at another CSU as an undergraduate, he or she need not take it again. Students who have taken the written portion of the GRE and received a score of 3 or greater can be exempted from the UDWPE.