On Wednesday, March 10, 2021, at 4:00-5:30 pm PST, Comics@CSUN will host a free Zoom panel presented by five past judges of the Will Eisner Comics Industry Awards, the most prestigious prizes in the US comics field. The panelists will discuss their Eisner Award judging experiences as well as the current state of the graphic novel genre.
This webinar celebrates Will Eisner Week, an annual literacy-themed event named (like the Eisner Awards) for pioneering comics artist, graphic novelist, and educator Will Eisner. Sponsored by the Will & Ann Eisner Family Foundation, Eisner Week champions comics-reading, graphic novels, and freedom of expression in the comics field.
The five panelists (with their Eisner Award-judging years noted in parenthesis) are:
- Michael Dooley (2020), designer, author, history professor, contributing editor to Print magazine
- Karen Green (2011), teacher, Curator for Comics and Cartoons at Columbia University
- William H. Foster (2014), scholar, lecturer, curator, teacher
- Charles Hatfield (2013), scholar, CSUN professor, cofounder of the Comics Studies Society
- Heidi MacDonald (1993), editor, journalist, podcaster, founder and editor-in-chief of The Beat: The Blog of Comics Culture
Registrants will have the opportunity to submit questions for Q&A during the event. Video of the event will hopefully be provided afterward, for independent viewing.
Please help Comics@CSUN spread the word about this special event! Feel free to send questions to co-organizer firstname.lastname@example.org [.]
Below is a flyer for the event: