Applications for the Chicana/o Studies department are accepted for fall semester only. There is no spring admission. Students interested in applying to the graduate program must apply to the university and to the department. Make sure to send separate transcripts for each application.
University Admission Criteria
To be admitted to CSUN, as a graduate student, students must meet the following requirements:
- Have baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college.
- Have been in good standing at the last institution attended
- Have at least a 2.5 grade point average in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted, independent of when the baccalaureate was granted.
- GPA is lower than a 3.0, the university requires that you take the GRE.
- Have passed the CSU Upper-Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE). If you have not taken and passed the exam, the university is willing to accept you conditionally with the understanding that you must pass the exam within the first 12 units of graduate coursework. If you are not classified within this time frame you will not be allowed to continue your enrollment in the Masters program.
Department Admission Criteria
The department endorses the university admission criteria. However, it is important to note that the department does not require a particular GRE score to be admitted into the program; it solely requires that students with a GPA lower than a 3.0 take the exam to adhere to the university policy.
- University application (Cal State Apply) must be completed by February 16, 2018.
- The departmental deadline is February 16, 2018. Your departmental application is considered incomplete if you did not apply to the university by February 16, 2018.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance or denial no later than March 5, 2018.