Applications for the Chicana and Chicano Studies department are accepted for fall semester only. There is no spring admission. Students interested in applying to the graduate program must apply to the university and to the department. Make sure to send separate transcripts for each application.
- University application (Cal State Apply) must be completed by February 16, 2018.
- The departmental deadline is February 16, 2018. Your departmental application is considered incomplete if you did not apply to the university by February 16, 2018.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance or denial no later than March 5, 2018.
Departmental Application Process
- Letters of Recommendation - Obtain two letters of recommendation from current or former professors. An optional third letter from an individual outside of academia who can speak of your work in the community can also be included. The recommendation forms with letters must be received by the department no later than February 16, 2018.
CHS Masters Recommendation Form must accompany each letter of recommendation
- Submit a curriculum vitae or resume
- Official transcripts
- Complete a Statement of Purpose – The objective of the statement of purpose is twofold. First, it will be used as a writing sample and provide the admissions committee an opportunity to examine your writing skills. Second, it allows you to share with the admissions committee why you want to pursue a graduate degree in our department. Please include your name on the first page of your document. The Statement of Purpose is a two to three page essay, double-spaced, and answers the following questions:
- How did you become interested in the field of Chicana and Chicano Studies?
- What experiences have contributed toward your preparation for further study in the field?
- What are your future goals?
- What are your research interests?
- How are you a match to the program and department? That is, what faculty member(s) would you like to work with?
- What experience do you have as an activist/scholar in the field of Chicana and Chicano Studies?
5. Writing Sample - A writing sample of a previous paper or work for a class that is no more than 10 pages, OR a creative portfolio.
Departmental Application Checklist
All items below must be mailed or hand-delivered by the student in one packet:
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope for every college and/or university attended
Stronger applicants are familiar with foundational texts. To familiarize yourself with our program please review the faculty website and the suggested summer reading list.
Mail or hand-deliver the entire application packet by February 16, 2018 to:
Dr. Christina Ayala-Alcantar
Chicana and Chicano Studies Department
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Jerome Richfield Hall 148
Northridge, CA 91330-8246