March 17, 2021
The Asuncion Castro Abarquez and Rosalinda Abarquez & Alcantara Endowment was established through the CSUN Foundation for the Abarquez Prize in Asian American Studies by the generous gift of Prosy de la Cruz.
This is an annual prize for an Outstanding Essay by a student in Asian American Studies at CSUN. The winner will receive a cash prize in the amount of $1000.
The topic of this essay competition is open to any issue relevant to Asian Americans and Asian American Studies.
Essays must meet the following criteria:
- Students are invited to submit essays no longer than 1500 words based on or inspired by their coursework in Asian American Studies courses at CSUN.
- Essays must be revised in a manner suitable for potential publication in the weekly column “Rhizomes” in The Asian Journal.
- The award is restricted to students who are current CSUN Asian American Studies majors, double-majors, and minors.
- Essays may be based on coursework in CSUN AAS courses.
We encourage you to discuss your submission with a current CSUN AAS instructor.
Although the prize is intended for a single outstanding essay, the committee may select up to two essays. If two essays are selected, the cash prize will be divided equally between the two recipients.
At the discretion of the donor, the winning essay(s) may be published in Prosy de la Cruz's column in the Asian Journal "Rhizomes."
Essay Submission: Essays must be no longer than 1500 words, typed, double-spaced. Submissions are open only to CSUN AAS majors, double majors, and minors. CSUN graduate students who majored, double-majored, and minored in AAS may also be considered. Current AAS majors, double majors and minors will be given priority.
Please email your essay as an attached Microsoft Word document to Dr. Tomo Hattori at email@example.com by the end of Monday, April 19, 2021.
All essay submissions must be received by Monday, April 19, 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact
- Prof. Kimberly Carroll firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Prof. Tomo Hattori email@example.com,
- Prof. Phil Hutchison firstname.lastname@example.org.