Spring 2015 Events
- Our AAS Graduation Reception is on Monday (5/18) from 4:00 to 5:30 pm in the Whitsett Room, SH 451.
- Our Student Awards Night will be on May 7th, Thursday, starting 6:30 pm, in the Whitsett Room. Program link.
- We will have our Distinguished Speaker Series to kick off the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month on 4/30, Thursday, 5 pm to 8 pm in the Grand Salon. The title of our event is "Asian Americans in the Media" and will star jazz singer Charmaine Clamor, Comedian D'Lo and filmmaker and professor Renee Tajima-Pena!
- We just posted our teaching job announcements. Please check it out at http://www.csun.edu/humanities/asian-american-studies/employment.
- AAS Student Awards Application is due April 2, Thursday, at 5 pm. Please send your digital application to Professor Clem Lai and Professor Gina Masequesmay. We will celebrate the awardees on May 7th, Thursday, at 6:30 pm in the Whitsett Room of Sierra Hall 4th floor.
- AAS is cosponsoring this event with other departments and programs: "Academic Freedom, Empire and the Settler Colonial State" on March 2, Monday, 4 to 6:45 pm in the Oviatt Library Presentation Room.
- Join us at the Omatsu House to learn more from our alumni Dan Le and Diana Sakata about working abroad. They will share their experiences about how they got involved and lessons learned. Working Abroad Experiences from AAS Alumni on Tuesday, 2/17, 5 to 6 pm. 18356 Halsted Avenue, Northridge, CA 91330.
- The AAS Tutoring/Mentoring Program is open for this semester! Please go to our website to check out the hours.
- Our AAS Spring 2015 Schedule of Classes is available. Please check out our specialty courses which are not frequently offered: AAS 361G: Muslim American Experiences; AAS 430: Asian Americans and Popular Culture - Zombies and the Yellow Peril; and AAS 495SM: Asian American Social Movements.
Fall 2014 Events
- We offer Winter Session Classes: AAS 100, 201, 321 and 340.
- San Francisco State University AAS professor Valerie Soe will screen her documentary, The Chinese Garden, this Thursdays the 6th of November in the Reseda Room from 3:30 to 5:00 PM. Join us for the screening of The Chinese Garden and Q&A after the screening.
- Special Guest Lecture on Asian Pacific Americans and Domestic Violence, Wednesday, November 5th, 11-12:15pm, JR 221. Speakers are Kelly Kimiko and Irene Mak.
- The Department will host an AAS Orientation and Welcome Back Gathering on Thursday from 11 am to 3 pm at the Glenn Omatsu House. Please join us and reserve so that we can provide enough food for everyone!
- The AAS Department has hired 6 AAS students to be our tutors/mentors for our Tutorial & Mentoring Program (job announcement). Here is a link to the announcement about the tutoring/mentoring time at the Glenn Omatsu House.
- If you are interested to enroll in our classes, here is the Fall 2014 Schedule of Classes for AAS (.pdf).
- Our sixth issue of AAS Newsletter has been published! You can view earlier issues at the Newsletters Index Page.
- If you are an AAS alumn and has not taken our Alumni survey, please do so at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/aasalumni2012.
- If you are interested to support the AAS department in our work to mentor students, build communities and collaborate with others toward a more equitable world, please go to our donation page and specify that you want the money to go toward AAS.