During the COVID-19 Health Crisis, Human Resources has moved its operation online to provide virtual services. You'll find specific information about (temporary) adjustments to some of our services below.
HR Virtual Service Highlights
Latest COVID-19 Updates
Non-Essential Travel and System-wide Meetings Eliminated through June 2021 - As we face difficult budget constraints in the coming year, elimination of all non-essential travel, and system-wide meetings and conferences, through June 30, 2021 has been implemented. This is an important measure that will save significant resources for individual campuses. Any exceptions will need to be formally requested, and as noted will be granted on a very limited basis. (20200626)
Printing of Direct Deposit Advices Temporarily Suspended - In response to COVID-19, effective May 5th, the State Controller's Office (SCO) has temporarily suspended the printing of direct deposit advices for all pay cycles. The SCO will continue to print live warrants, which will be distributed in accordance with campus processes established during virtual operations.
Emergency Pay - In the past few weeks, Governor Newsom began easing guidelines, slowly lifting the Safer at Home orders. As a result, the Chancellor's Office has communicated that the emergency pay provision for CSUEU (Units 2, 5, 7, 9) and Teamsters (Unit 6) employees will cease May 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. As clarification, emergency pay will be provided to CSUEU and Teamsters employees for hours they worked on campus from March 20, 2020 through May 31, 2020.
Collective Bargaining -
CSUEU (units 2, 5, 7, 9) Agreement - The CSU and CSUEU have reached an agreement on a two-year extension of the current terms of the collective bargaining agreement. All provisions of the agreement have been extended with no salary increases. This agreement will extend the contract through June 30, 2022.
CFA (unit 3) Agreement - The CSU and CFA have reached an agreement on a one-year extension of the current terms of the collective bargaining agreement. All provisions of the agreement have been extended with no general salary increase (GSI) provisions. This agreement will extend the contract through June 30, 2021.
APC (unit 4) Agreement - The CSU and APC have reached an agreement on a two-year extension of the current terms of the collective bargaining agreement. All provisions of the agreement have been extended with no general salary increase (GSI) provisions. This agreement will extend the contract through June 30, 2022.
New Employee Sign-Ins
Human Resources' University Hall Room 165 office will be open on the following dates to only process new hires.
Please call x2101 to schedule an appointment for any new staff, faculty or student assistant. To help expedite the process and increase social distancing, please ensure that the new employee completes the electronic new hire forms at home.
Dates and hours of operation are restricted to:
- Wednesday, July 1, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 6, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 13, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 20, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, June 27, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 3, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 10, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 17, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 24, 2020 | 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
New Employee Payroll & Benefits Orientation
To adhere to the guidelines of social distancing, there will be no face-to-face new hire orientation. A member of the benefits and payroll team will contact new hires a couple days after sign-in to schedule a virtual orientation experience with them. In addition to Zoom capability, human resources representatives will be available via email and phone.
How to Submit HR Forms
Instead of mailing forms to HR, please submit them electronically as indicated below:
- Account Receivable Authorization Forms - email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Action Request Form (ARF) - email to HRclassemail@example.com
- Benefits Worksheets – email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CalPERS Dependent Verification Documents - email to email@example.com
- Classification Review Requests - email to HRclassfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Employee Performance Evaluations -
- Please view the accordion drop down labeled "Performance Evaluations"
- In Range Progression (IRP) - email to HRclassemail@example.com
- Medicare Status Forms - email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personnel Action Request Form (PAR) –
- Completed PAR forms can be emailed directly to the Operations Technician assigned to the respective college.
- Remember to use the Part-Time Faculty Module to transact certain job changes for Lecturers, Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants.
- We will accept scanned forms and photos. If signature approvals are hard to obtain, you may include an email approval from the designated appropriate administrator.
- Position Description Forms, Signed - email to HRclassemail@example.com
- Reclassification – e-mail to HRclassfirstname.lastname@example.org
Workers’ Compensation, Disabilities & Family Medical Leaves
Continue to email all documents, or legible photos of documents, directly to karyn.cote @csun.edu
- DWC-1 Form - email directly to karyn.cote @csun.edu
- Medical Certifications - email directly to karyn.cote @csun.edu
- Leave of Absence Request Form - email directly to karyn.cote @csun.edu
NOTE: Until further notice, faxes will not be accepted due to no one in the office.
COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave (CPAL)
We are pleased to announce the California State University has granted use of temporary paid Administrative Leave up to 256 hours, effective March 23, 2020 through December 31, 2020 for CSU (state) employees who are unable to work due to COVID-19 related reasons.
Under the new provision, all benefits-eligible employees and academic student employees (TA, GA, and ISA) shall be eligible for this one-time allotment that can only be used due to COVID-19 related absences.
This paid Administrative Leave is only for employees who are unable to work, on campus or remotely, for the following reasons:
- When an employee is unable to work due to the employee’s own COVID-19-related illness or that of a family member for whom the employee would normally be able to use sick leave;
- When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their supervisor or healthcare provider not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely; or
- When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure, and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.
The paid Administrative Leave is subject to the following conditions:
- All hours must be used by close of business December 31, 2020, at which time the remaining allotted hours will expire;
- The hours may be used at any time during this designated period, including intermittently, either before or after the use of any accrued leave or other paid leave, at the request of the employee, in consultation with the supervisor and provided such use shall not adversely affect the delivery of essential University services; and
- The number of hours of paid administrative leave for employees who work less than full-time shall be prorated according to the percent of the appointment. Human Resources will assist in calculating the pro-rated hours on a case by case basis.
All CSUN state-side employees are encouraged to first check with their supervisors to see if there is work that can be performed remotely. If not, please contact Employee Relations at 818-677-6566 or email@example.com to learn more about the paid Administrative Leave policy. After consult with each employee on their individual unique circumstance, Human Resources will provide the requesting employee an electronic leave form to complete which includes but is not limited to contact information, reason for leave, estimated start and end date of leave, and specific dates when requested Administrative Leave hours will be used.
Please note this paid Administrative Leave does not apply to auxiliary employees. Employees of auxiliary units are asked to consult with Human Resources department liaisons in their respective units regarding leave.
Federal Families First Coronavirus Act (FFCRA)
The FFCRA outlines two additional types of leave for COVID-19 related reasons that are available for use from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (EPSLA)
All CSUN state-side employees are eligible for two weeks (80 hours) of paid sick time for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The eligible hours are pro-rated for parttime employees.
An employee qualifies for the paid sick time if the employee is unable to work (or unable to work remotely) due to a need for leave because the employee:
- Is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- Has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- Is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis; or,
- Is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2).
Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act (EFMLEA)
All CSUN state-side employees who have been employed for at least 30 days are eligible for up to 12 weeks of family leave under the expanded Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of which 10 weeks are paid. The first 2 weeks may be paid by any unused emergency sick leave, employee’s accrued leave credits or be unpaid. The eligible hours are pro-rated for part-time employees.
This leave time is part of FMLA and tracked by our Benefits team accordingly.
Under the FFCRA, an employee qualifies for expanded family and medical leave ONLY if the employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or childcare provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19 AND has not already exhausted all rights in the past 12 months for other reasons, designated as FMLA.
If you are interested in learning more about the leave options under the FFCRA, please contact Human Resources/Employee Relations at , or (818) 677-6566.
To view an accessible copy of the Employee Rights leave flier related to COVID-19, select here.
Non-Telecommuting Workers Leave (NTWL)
A new policy has been issued by the Chancellor’s Office to provide additional paid leave to benefits eligible employees:
- who are not assigned to work on campus,
- work remotely based on their duties, and,
- who exhausted the hours available to them under the COVID, 256 hours ofTemporary Paid Administrative Leave (CPAL).
Eligible employees will be provided up to 304 additional hours to be used from May 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020.
Note, once the stay-at-home directives are lifted by the Governor and/or local government officials and employees are permitted to return to work on campus, these hours expire and will no longer
If you are interested in learning more about the leave options under the NTWL, please contact Human Resources/Employee Relations at , or (818) 677-6566.
Employees in Bargaining Unit 2, 5, 7, and 9 (CSUEU) and Bargaining Unit 6 (Teamsters) who continue to come to campus for essential functions will be provided emergency pay per their respective collective bargaining agreements. The emergency pay will be retroactive to Friday, March 20, 2020. We ask supervisors to continue to ensure all work that can be performed remotely/virtually is encouraged and done so.
Those employees working at home are not eligible for emergency pay. Additionally, employees in bargaining Units 1, 3, 4, 8, and 11, as well as those employees in the Confidential classification and MPP are not eligible for emergency pay.
Academic Personnel Processing
Academic Departments are encouraged to utilize the Part Time Faculty Module to transact certain job changes for Lecturers, Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants.
Refer to the Personnel Action Request (PAR) templates for a complete list of Part Time and Full Time faculty job changes.
Completed PAR forms can be emailed directly to the Operations Technician assigned to the respective college.
We encourage employees to sign-up for Direct Deposit for future pay periods. The following link provides information on Direct Deposit for CSUN employees. https://www.csun.edu/payroll/direct-deposit.
Completed forms can be mailed to:
Human Resources – Payroll Administration
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8229
While the State Controller's Office (SCO) has temporarily suspended the printing of direct deposit advices for all pay cycles, CSUN employees are reminded that you now have the opportunity to access this information and forms through Cal Employee Connect (CEC). Access to password protected and/or secure areas of this portal is restricted to authorized users only.
CEC allows employees to view up to three (3) years of their earnings statements and W-2’s, along with personal information. Cal Employee Connect will ultimately reduce state costs and workload by providing a tool for all state employees to access their information electronically. You can read more information and learn how to enroll in CEC here.
The SCO will continue to print live warrants, which will be distributed in accordance with campus processes established during virtual operations.
Hiring Slow Down
The CSU has implemented a hiring slow down effective immediately (due to both capacity to onboard at this time as well as current and future budget impacts resulting from the pandemic). All active and future searches will be placed on hold unless an exception is granted. Exceptions may be granted only by the President, supported by a divisional vice president recommendation, that are deemed critical and/or essential to be filled at this time. All searches with a fully executed offer letter shall be honored. Please work directly with your divisional vice president for any exceptions.
all student positions including academic student (TA, GA, ISA) and student assistant/work study student positions are also subject to the hiring chill requirements.
Live Pay Warrant Distribution
In order to accommodate reduced on-campus staffing and virtual operations, Payroll Administration and University Cash Services (UCS) have implemented the following measures for mid-month and end-of-month payroll warrant distribution process pay days.
Human Resources will reach out directly to all employees who are scheduled to receive a live pay warrant (pay check) to communicate these details to them.
For all departments except Physical Plant Management (PPM), LIVE PAY WARRANTS (paychecks) will be released on pay day only to the individual employee or by mail with proper release authorization. PPM employees will pick up their live pay warrants from their department as usual.
Receiving Live Checks by Mail
We prefer to mail out live warrants to all employees. Employees can opt to have their live pay warrant mailed to them by completing the COVID-19 Live Check Release form in the myNorthridge portal. Checks are generally mailed out on payday. You should expect to receive your check three to five business days later, depending on the mail service in your area. After logging into the myNorthridge portal, navigate to the “Staff” tab and select “COVID-19 Live Check Release” from the “Human Resources/Employee pagelet.
Important items on mailed live checks:
- This form will automatically be sent to UCS and will not require forwarding to your department representatives.
- All previous forms received during the COVID-19 disruption will be honored and used for future paydays. You do not need to submit a new form each month.
- Both mid-month warrant recipients and month-end (master payroll) warrant recipients are able to use this new form.
Picking Up Your Live Check
Employees will be advised of specific pick-up times by email. It is imperative that employees adhere to the identified pick-up times to minimize contact and maintain employee safety. As CSUN is an essential business, please remember to follow the City of Los Angeles’ guidelines about the wearing of face coverings while in public and maintain six feet from colleagues. Face coverings include a mask, bandanna or other type of covering over your nose and mouth.
We encourage employees to sign-up for Direct Deposit for future pay periods. The following link provides information on Direct Deposit for CSUN employees: https://www.csun.edu/payroll/direct-deposit. Please note that it can take up to two pay periods to become effective. Thank you for your patience.
Completed forms can be mailed to:
Human Resources – Payroll Administration
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8229
Employees may now view their pay warrant (paycheck) details as well as view their IRS Form W-2 by registering with Cal Employee Connect (CEC). CEC is a secure site run by the State of California’s State Controller’s Office and allows state employees to view pay warrant information for the current tax year and two prior tax years and view Form W-2 for the past three tax years. Access to CEC is available for current and former state employees. More information can be found here: https://www.csun.edu/payroll/cec
Staff Performance Evaluations –
Managers should complete performance evaluations with each of their staff members and submit them to Human Resources on an annual basis.
- Performance Evaluation - UNIT 4
- Performance Evaluation - Staff
- Completed and signed Employee Performance Evaluations and any attachments should be submitted as follows:
- Please note: Adobe-Sign forms are anticipated to be available no later than July 8, 2020 to facilitate an electronic workflow to collect signatures and submit to Human Resources.
MPP Performance Evaluations –
Management should complete performance evaluations with each of their MPP direct reports and submit them to Human Resouces by August 7, 2020.
- Performance Evaluation – MPP
- An alternate MPP Evaluation format of choosing may be submitted (see sample here)
- Please use the evaluation form of your choosing. Once the evaluation is completed an Adobe-Sign cover page will be available no later than July 8, 2020 to collect signatures and submit the evaluation as an attachment to Human Resources. Please refer back to this page to access the Adobe-Sign form on or after July 8, 2020.