We are pleased to have you join Cal State Northridge and hope you will find your experience here rewarding. As a new member of our campus, there are several things you need to be aware of and paperwork that must be completed to ensure we can properly establish your appointment in our system. If you are a new tenure-track faculty member, you should have by now returned your signed acceptance of your appointment letter to the Office of Faculty Affairs. If you are a new lecturer (full-time or part-time), you will receive a New Employee Sign-In Form from your department. The next step is to complete the Sign-In Process with Human Resources. All CSUN employees must complete the Sign-In Process prior to performing any work.
New Employee Paperwork - The Sign-In Process
You are required to complete the Sign-In Process which consists of submitting your hiring paperwork and verifying your I-9 Form in the Office of Human Resources:
- if you are new to California State University, Northridge or
- if your previous employment at this campus ended more than 18 months ago.
Federal law and CSU policies require that your Employment Eligibility Verification forms (INS Form I-9) be completed no later than the first effective day of your appointment.
Please Note: A Timed Appointment Must Be Scheduled to arrange to drop off your employment paperwork and to complete the Sign-In Process. A face mask must be worn while on campus and social distancing guidelines must be followed.
Once your appointment has been finalized, please contact Human Resources at (818) 677-2101 to schedule an appointment to complete the Sign-Process. Currently, appointments are available Mondays between 8:00 am and 11:00 a.m.
What You Will Need To Bring
- To verify your identity and eligibility to work, documents that demonstrate your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States which meet legal requirements of the Immigration and Reform Control Act must be presented. Documents that are acceptable to provide employment authorization may be found on the last page of the I-9 Form.
- In order to establish your Payroll records, it is required that your name and Social Security Number are reported to the Internal Revenue Service and California Franchise Tax Board exactly as stated on your Social Security card. To help expedite this verification processes please bring your original Social Security Card with you to complete the Sign-In Process. If necessary, you may request a new card from the Social Security Administration.
- If you are a new tenure track faculty member, please bring a copy of your signed appointment letter with you.
- If you are a new lecturer faculty member (full-time or part-time), please bring a copy of your New Employee Sign-In Form provided to you by your department.
Completing New Employee Paperwork
As part of the Sign-In Process, you will need to submit all forms listed under the Required Documents section below, including those noted as voluntary. To expedite the completion of forms #2 through #10 below, you only need to fill out the information requested in #1, the Faculty New Employee Sign-In Information Express Doc below. Forms should be printed and then signed to turn in to Human Resources. If you have not received your new CSUN Employee ID Number by the time you are ready to complete the forms, you may leave that information blank until you arrive on campus.
- I-9 Instructions
- CSU Benefits Summary - Faculty
- The California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Part-Time, Seasonal and Temporary Employee's Retirement Program (PST)
- New Health Insurance Coverage Options and Your Health Coverage (Part A)
- Information about Health Coverage Offered by your Employer (Part B)
- New Hire Notice - Injuries Caused by Work
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- CalPERS Military Service Credit Notification to All Employees
- CSU Privacy Notice
- CSUN Employee Notices
- CSUN Drug Free Workplace Policy
- CSUN Lactation Policy and Nursing Mothers' Resources
- Faculty/Staff Parking Permit Purchase Information
- Campus Map
To expedite the Sign-In Process, you should complete the Required Documents, and any Optional Documents as appropriate, in advance. With the exception of the I-9 Form, completed/signed documents may be mailed or faxed to Human Resources prior to Sign-In. However, you must complete the I-9 verification process in person and submit all original documents at the time of Sign-In. Please allow fifteen to thirty minutes to complete this process at:
California State University, Northridge
Office of Human Resources
165 University Hall
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8229
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Telephone: (818) 677-2101
Fax: (818) 677-7863
California Faculty Association
You are represented by the California Faculty Association, a union of 27,000 professors, lecturers, librarians, counselors and coaches who teach in the California State University system. In classrooms on the 23 CSU campuses, CFA members work hard to teach our students. To join, as an active member with rights to vote and engage fully on behalf of yourself and others, go to: https://www.calfac.org/join-cfa.