This session is offered by Cal Poly SLO, participating with Northridge in a CSU System-Wide Professional & Personal Development Cross Campus Collaboration program.
Colleagues attending this session may hail from the Chancellor’s Office, Channel Islands, Chico, East Bay, Fresno, Humboldt, Long Beach, Monterey Bay, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, and Stanislaus.
Join us for an important discussion that brings attention to the unconscious biases we all possess and provides some strategies for overcoming its impact in our work and relationships. Come learn about diversity & inclusion, how to recognize areas where unconscious bias may surface, identify strategies for avoiding bias, and learn of resources available for additional learning and involvement.
This workshop is for those interested in building awareness of unconscious bias, or looking for a refresher. During the workshop, we will engage with each other in sharing thoughts, perspectives, and ideas utilizing a variety of zoom tools such as unmute, hand raising, chat field, and breakout rooms. As such, if able, you are encouraged to turn on your video to connect.
Optional Prework - In order to prepare for some rich conversation, we invite you to participate in the following:
- View the following video from Scientific American Frontiers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nj-MjBc-xQ
- Complete the Race Implicit Association Test (IAT), and in addition, select one of the following: Gender-Career, Disability, Skin-tone, Age or Weight. The implicit Association Tests are available at: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
- Read the Roots of Implicit Bias article from New York Times: http://nyti.ms/2h6GBNY For information about your workshop facilitator, Lanaya Gaberel, please visit the LinkedIn page at https://www.linkedin.com/in/lanaya-gaberel-001/
Lanaya Gaberel, San Luis Obispo
CSUN Faculty & Staff – To register for this Workshop/Session:
- When ready, select the CSU Learn button below.
- Log into with your myNorthridge Portal credentials.
- Select the “Register” button.
- Click on the bullet next to the CSUN HR icon, and select “Submit” to enroll in this session.
If you require an accommodation to attend this program, please contact Human Resources at 818.677.5168 at least seven business days in advance of the program.
Withdraw from Session: If you need to cancel your registration, select the “Self” icon in CSU Learn. Select “Learning,” then “Registrations.” Select the box next to the session you need to cancel, and select “Cancel Registration.” In the next window, select “Confirm Cancellation.”
Return to CSUN's Professional & Personal Development Training Calendar at: http://www.csun.edu/development/training.
To view an accessible format of the following image, visit here.