Student Housing Maintenance

Maintenance and Custodial Services

Student Housing is your home for the coming year, and we are happy to have you here. If there are necessary repairs or maintenance issues, please submit a Maintenance Request on-line at your Student Housing Portal, by phone at (818) 677-2234, or on a request form located in the Student Housing Office or the Community Center in Building 18. Maintenance or Custodial staff members usually respond to these requests within 24 hours. Most repairs are free of charge provided it was not due to vandalism or caused by the resident.


Trash Disposal 

Grease, oil, or hard food should not be poured down any drains in your unit. You should let the grease, oil, or hard food cool and then place it in a container to be removed with the rest of your trash. Leftover food should not be flushed down the toilets, it should be thrown out with the other to maintain a clean and healthy environment. 

Toilet Cleaning and ‘Flushable’ Wipes 

Cleaning your toilets regularly is important, however certain types of cleaners will harm the toilet tanks. Toilet tank tablets (large tablets put directly into the tank to release cleaners over time) are prohibited because they clog the toilets and require maintenance service. Also, any type of wipe, even if they indicate they are flushable, are not permitted. If these items are used and create a problem, we will charge residents for the required services. 


Listed below are kitchen appliances that may NOT be used in units for safety reasons. Please note that no more than a total of 3 appliances should be simultaneously plugged into the outlets in a room. If more than 3 are plugged in, the circuit breaker may “pop” causing a loss of power to those outlets. 

Not Allowed 

  • Hotplates 
  • Deep Fat Fryers 
  • Electric Frying Pans 
  • Space Heaters 
  • Halogen Lamps 

Special Guidelines for Units Without Kitchens 

Student Housing does not provide kitchen equipment for personal use in any apartment or suites without a kitchen. Attempting to use bathroom sinks or toilets as a garbage disposal while cooking in your unit may result in a pipe clog, which will result in charges. Residents using a common area kitchen will be responsible for cleaning the area after each use; this includes throwing trash into the appropriate receptacle and washing the area(s) used while cooking. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the loss of use in the common area kitchens and a charge for cleaning the common area. 

Listed below are kitchen appliances that may be used in units without kitchens. 

  • Refrigerator (4.5 cubic feet/3 feet high) 
  • Microwave 
  • Coffee Maker 
  • Blender 


When you move in, fill out a Unit Condition Report on line. Indicate on this form the condition of all areas of your unit. When you vacate your unit, it will be inspected and you will be billed for any missing items or damages beyond normal wear and tear. It is important that you document everything that you’ve inspected in the unit. You will NOT be billed for legitimate damages that were documented on the Unit Condition Form. This is your documentation that the damage(s) existed prior to your moving in. 

Walls and Door Ceilings 

Any method you use to attach something to the walls or ceilings may cause damage, so consider the potential damage before you proceed. While neither sanctioning nor prohibiting attaching things to the walls or ceilings, we remind you that the cost of repairing and repainting damaged room walls or ceilings will be billed to unit residents. The Command Strip brand of removable adhesives works best for hanging things on walls (other brands tend to leave marks when removed).