Student Handbook 2022/2023



The Office of Student Housing and Residential Life exists to promote individual development academic success, and conscientious citizenship among residents by providing facilities, services, and programs that foster respectful and responsible living in a learning environment.



Each resident is entitled to certain basic rights that describe the essence of our residential community:

  • Sleep and reside in the community without undue interference of excessive noise.
  • Live in a clean and healthy environment. Demand respect for one’s personal belongings.
  • Expect privacy within the “Right of Entry” policy guidelines stated in the lease agreement.
  • Live free from intimidation, physical, and emotional harm.
  • Expect reasonable cooperation in the use of appliances shared in the unit (i.e. stove, refrigerator, closet space, etc.).
  • Be an individual in a manner that does not interfere with the rights of others.
  • Settle conflicts in a reasonable manner.



For a full directory, please visit us at www.csun.edu/housing/staff-directory

Administrative Services
Business Services
Student Housing Office (Building 22)
Phone: (818) 677-2160; email: housing@csun.edu
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Residential Life
Student Housing Office (Building 22)
Phone: (818) 677-6116; email: Residential Life Staff
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Student Housing Maintenance
Heather Hall (Building 13)
Phone: (818) 677-2234; Submit a ticket

Student Housing Technology Services
Student Housing Office (Building 22)
Phone: (818) 677-6114; Submit a ticket
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Mail Services
Piñon Hall (Building 9)
Phone: (818) 677-2686: email: housingmail@csun.edu
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.



The Office of Student Housing and Residential Life knows that safety is essential to personal and academic success at CSUN. Because of the importance of safety, the department provides facilities, services, and procedures to make the complex as safe as possible. For more information about preparing for an emergency, visit Emergency Preparedness.

 Department of Police Services

The Department of Police Services can be reached by dialing x2111 from a campus phone or, in case of emergency, 911 from a campus phone or landline. If you are using a cell phone you must dial (818) 677-2111.

What I Can Do to Stay Safe

  • LOCK your doors and windows when leaving your unit (even if you are only gone for a few minutes), when taking naps, and when retiring for the night. If you prop your door open, make sure there is someone in the living room and close the door when there isn’t. Often residents forget to close the door, leaving the unit open to anyone.
  • LOOK out of your peephole installed in your door whenever someone knocks. Do not open the door for people you do not know.
  • MAKE a list of your personal belongings, including the identification and serial numbers of your items. Keep this information in a safe place.
  • KEEP all money and valuables in a safe place. Do not keep large amounts of cash in your room. Consider leaving valuable items at home or in a safe deposit box.
  • CLOSE all public area doors behind you.
  • NEVER prop open lobby or stairwell doors. Alarmed exits are in each building and should only be used for emergency purposes.
  • DO NOT LET people you do not know into the building or your unit. By opening the door for someone, you are accepting responsibility for them as your guest. Ask visitors who they are looking for and then refer them to the intercom at the entrance of the building, the Student Housing Office, or to the Community Center.
  • DO NOT LOAN your key card to anyone. Not only is it a violation of Student Housing Rules and Regulations, but it puts your roommates and members of your community in jeopardy.
  • REPORT suspicious people or circumstances to the RAs, the Student Housing Office, or the police. This includes vendors and unescorted, non-residents who are inside the building. Student Housing does not allow solicitation of residents in our buildings. If someone tries to sell you something in the building, report it to the RA or Student Housing Office.
  • WALK with another person at night. Matador Patrol offers a walking escort Monday-Thursday from dusk to 11 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. A police officer is available after 11 p.m. all other times when the Matador Patrol is not on duty. You can request a safety escort by calling 818-677-5042 or 5048, from a campus phone extension 5042 or 5048.

Fire Alarms
When the fire alarm sounds, stay calm. Before exiting the unit, feel the door for heat and look at the door seals for signs of smoke. If the door is hot or you see smoke, stay in your unit, put a wet towel at the base of the door, and call for help. If it’s safe to exit the unit, put your shoes on, grab your keys, and evacuate the building immediately. If it’s safe to do so, bring a wet towel to cover your nose, mouth, face and head if necessary.

If you encounter smoke, stay low.

If you are overcome by flames: Stop, Drop, Roll and cover your face.

Move to the designated evacuation point outside the building and wait for instructions from a staff member (maps are located on the back of each unit door). Whenever the fire alarm sounds, you must leave your room if it’s safe to do so. For example, if there is no fire or smoke immediately outside your door.

Residents are encouraged to purchase or create their own minor first aid kits. In the event of a serious injury or emergency, immediately contact the Department of Police Services at 911 or at (818) 677-2111 if you are using a cell phone.


  • Duck or drop down on the floor.
  • Take cover under a sturdy desk, table or other furniture or move against an interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms.
  • If you take cover under sturdy furniture, hold on to it and be prepared to move with it.
  • Hold your position until the ground stops shaking and it’s safe to move. If it’s safe to exit the unit, put your shoes on, grab your key card, and evacuate the building.
  • If it’s safe to do so, bring essential items such as critical prescription medicine. If you have an earthquake emergency kit, bring it with you.
  • Move to the designated evacuation point taking care to keep away from downed trees, debris, and electrical lines (evacuation maps are located on the back of unit doors).

If you cannot exit the building, tie a light-colored shirt to a balcony railing and suspend it so that it can be seen by others.

Sheltering In Place
If there is an emergency requiring you to shelter in place — generally, staying where you are and taking precautions such as locking doors, closing and locking windows, turning off air systems, etc. — the university will make every effort to inform you of the need to do so. However, you are also responsible for your own safety and for gathering as much information as you can.

Suggested List of Items for Emergencies

  • Basic toiletries
  • Bottled water
  • Blanket or sleeping bag
  • Car emergency kits 
  • Change of clothes
  • Disposable face masks
  • Essential medications and eyeglasses
  • First Aid Kit
  • Flashlight - fresh and spare batteries
  • Flares
  • Hat or cap
  • Knife
  • Large plastic trash bags
  • Local maps
  • Money or traveler’s checks
  • Non-perishable food
  • Portable radio
  • Pre-moistened towelettes
  • Sanitation supplies
  • Sealable plastic bags
  • Spare batteries
  • Sturdy shoes



CSUN takes student safety seriously. If you believe that a student who resides in on-campus housing has been missing, immediately notify the CSUN Department of Police Services at (818) 677-2111. CSUN Police will initiate an investigation in accordance with the departments missing person policy and will undertake the emergency contact procedures as appropriate.

Missing student reports should be made directly to the Department of Police Services. However, these reports may also be made to the Residential Life Office in the Students Housing office, or the Associate Vice President/Dean of Students Office in University Hall 310. If the missing person report is made to staff or organizations other than CSUN Police Services, that entity will contact Police Services immediately.

Contact Procedures
At the beginning of each academic year, CSUN will inform students residing in on-campus housing that CSUN will notify a parent, guardian or an individual selected by the student not later than 24 hours after the time the student is determined to be missing. This information will remain confidential and only used during a missing person investigation by campus officials and law enforcement. Students have the option of identifying an individual to be contacted by CSUN. If the student is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, CSUN is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian not later 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing in addition to any additional contact person designated by the student. When CSUN Police makes a determination that a student who is the subject of a missing person report has been missing for more than 24 hours and has not returned to campus, University Police Services will initiate the emergency contact procedures in accordance with the student’s designation and will also notify local law enforcement.

Police Services Action
The Department of Police Services has a law enforcement missing persons policy that is followed in all such cases. The department may release a photo of the missing student as a tool to assist in locating the individual and may seek information and/or assistance from a variety of campus resources during the course of the investigation.



CSUN will, when possible, use students contact information provided to the university to communicate with students in an emergency.

CSUN Student Responsibilities
Update contact information: Ensure your emergency contact information is up-to-date in CSUN Portal. This information is used by the universities mass communication system to notify you of a critical or emergency situation, instructions and updates.
Follow instructions: In an emergency, closely follow instruction communicated to you via phone and email – and listen to staff and emergency personnel.
Participate in drills: Take drills seriously and encourage others around you to do the same.
Review emergency maps: Know the location and content of building evacuation maps, including the designated outside evacuation areas. Building evacuation maps are located near the elevators and stairwells.
Know what to do in an emergency: Learn campus emergency procedures to know how to respond in all types of emergencies. For all emergency response procedures, visit Emergency Desk Reference or request a printed copy of the Desk Reference from Police Services via email.
Create a personal emergency communications plan: Determine how you will stay in contact with your family and friends if separated by a disaster. If possible, it’s a good idea to identify an out-of-state friend or relative as a “check-in contact”.

Communication Methods
CSUN emergency communications systems will be used to immediately notify the campus community upon the confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety or students, staff, or faculty occurring on the campus, unless issuing a notification would compromise efforts to contain the emergency. For full details, visit Emergency Communications.

Here's a list for some of the common emergency communication methods used by CSUN. For full details, visit Emergency Communications.

Blackboard Connect-Mass Notification System: The Blackboard Connect system allows CSUN Police Services the ability to send all students, staff and faculty time-sensitive information about unforeseen events and emergencies using voice, email and text messaging. The system is used to broadcast important, up-to-date information and provide details on appropriate response.
CSUN Social Media Sites: Facebook and Twitter as well as The Department of Police Services Facebook page will be updated with emergency information as appropriate.
Campus Carillon: The Carillon is an outdoor public broadcast system. It alerts persons who are outdoors and is not designed to be heard inside buildings. Real-time messages and emergency instructions can be broadcast.
CSUN Home Page: During a critical incident or emergency, information will be prominently displayed on the home page.
Emergency Signage: Emergency signage may be placed along the campus perimeter and within the campus to alert you to campus evacuation, closure, partial closure or testing of emergency communications.
Reporting an Emergency: To report an emergency, students can use the blue light phones located on the campus. When activated, the phone connects directly to a CSUN police dispatcher. There are 60 blue light phones strategically placed on campus. There are also Yellow Emergency Call Boxes that are TTY compatible for the hearing impaired.
CSUN Campus Status Information: Students may call the toll-free numbers during a campus emergency or critical incident for information on the status of the campus, including closures and class cancelations, as well as other announcements.
Students and Community phone number: (866) 515-2786
Emergency/Non-Emergency Contact Numbers
24-hour emergency (CSUN Police, Fire or Medical): 911
24-hour non-emergency: (818) 677-2111

Useful Phone Numbers
For a full contact lists of emergency resources at CSUN, visit Emergency Communications.

Matador Patrol (Personal Safety Escorts): (818) 677-5042 or (818) 677-5048
Klotz Student Health Center: (818) 677-3666
Vehicle Jump starts or Key Lock-Out Assistance: (818) 677-2111
Emergency Preparedness: 818-677-5973
Environmental Health and Safety: 818-677-2401

Student Housing On-Call Duty System
6 Resident Advisors (RAs) perform on-call duty each night. RAs will be on duty from 7 p.m.-8 a.m. Monday-Thursday and 7 p.m. Friday until 8 a.m. Monday.

While on duty, the RAs will walk the communities, visit with residents, look for security and maintenance concerns, and address policy violations. Outside of the on-call duty, RAs will be available in and around the buildings.

A Community Director (CD) is also on duty each night to assist with both personal and facility emergencies, as well as with disciplinary situations. The CD on duty will be contacted by the RA as the need arises. The CDs are professional live-in staff members. These staff members are full-time professionals who are trained to handle counseling, disciplinary, and crisis situations. A CD is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holiday periods.

Duty Phone Numbers
Buildings 1, 3, 6, and The Village Apartments: (818) 402-9919
Buildings 2, 4, 5 and 16: (818) 402-9914
Buildings 7, 8 and 17: (818) 497-8257
Buildings 9, 10, 11 and 13: (818) 400-1248
Buildings 12, 14, 15: (818) 402-9941
Buildings 19, 20 and 21: (818) 307-7239

Matador Patrol Program
You do not have to walk alone!

The Matador Patrol is a student-operated public service organization under the guidance of the Department of Police Services. Matador Patrol members provide free personal safety escorts for students, faculty, staff, and visitors on campus.

Matador Patrol members wear easily recognizable uniforms that are red, white and black in color-do not be alarmed if you find a Matador Patrol member asking you if you would like to be escorted to your next destination! Matador Patrol members are community service assistants who are proactive, energetic and have the best of intentions of ensuring CSUN maintains that reputation as a safe academic community.

To learn how to call for an escort, visit Matador Patrol.



You and your roommates will be sharing a living space for the academic year, so it’s important to discuss — and agree on — important things, including how you want to clean, share materials, and decorate/arrange the unit so that you may live together comfortably. Your RA will have a roommate agreement available at check-in to help guide you in the process and will follow up with you and your roommates to ensure the agreement is completed.

Fire Sprinklers in the Park Apartments
Please do not tamper with or hang items (clothing, decorations, etc.) from fire sprinklers!
All units within The Park Apartments are equipped with fire sprinklers. They are activated by only two things:

  1. Extreme heat in the immediate area, such as a fire would produce. The heat melts the red filament that signals the sprinklers to activate to extinguish the fire.
  2. Tampering with or accidentally bumping the sprinkler heads with enough force to break the red filament.

When sprinklers are activated, 60 gallons of water per minute are emptied until the system is reset. It would take at least 10 minutes to reset the system, usually longer. The damage and disruption caused by 600 -1800 gallons of water is devastating and costly to clean up and repair. The damage may not be limited to one room, as the water seeps into other rooms. By law, you can be personally held accountable for losses to the other residents in the building should they sustain water damage. Please use extreme caution around the sprinkler heads. Costs to clean and repair are billed to the unit where the sprinklers were activated.

If the sprinkler is activated in your unit, vacate the room and call Police Services immediately at (818) 677-2111. Then find the nearest RA or other housing staff member. The sooner staff are aware of the situation, the faster they can respond. Finally, if you experience what you believe to be losses as a result of a sprinkler activation, do not throw away any items that you perceive to be damaged. Take photos of the damaged items.

Trash Disposal
Grease, oil, or hard food should not be poured down any drains in your unit. You should let the grease, oil, or hard food cool and then place it in a container to be removed with the rest of your trash. Leftover food should not be flushed down the toilets, it should be thrown out with the other to maintain a clean and healthy environment.

Toilet Cleaning and 'Flushable' Wipes
Cleaning your toilets regularly is important, however certain types of cleaners will harm the toilet tanks. Toilet tank tablets (large tablets put directly into the tank to release cleaners over time) are prohibited because they clog the toilets and require maintenance service. Also, any type of wipe, even if they indicate they are flushable, are not permitted. If these items are used and create a problem, we will charge residents for required services.

Listed below are kitchen appliances that may not be used in units for safety reasons. Please note that no more than a total of three appliances should be simultaneously plugged into the outlets in a room. If more than three are plugged in, the circuit breaker may “pop” causing a loss of power to those outlets.

Kitchen appliances not allowed in units:

  • Deep fat fryers
  • Electric frying pans
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hotplates
  • Space heaters

Special Guidelines for Units without Kitchens: Student Housing does not provide kitchen equipment for personal use in any apartment or suites without a kitchen. Attempting to use bathroom sinks or toilets as a garbage disposal while cooking in your unit may result in a pipe clog, which will result in maintenance charges.

Kitchen appliances allowed in units without kitchens:

  • Blender
  • Coffee maker
  • Microwave
  • Refrigerator (4.5 cubic feet/3 feet high)

Residents using a common area kitchen will be responsible for cleaning the area after each use — this includes throwing trash into the appropriate receptacle and washing the area(s) used while cooking. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in the loss of use in the common area kitchens and cleaning charges.

Please make sure to take care of your unit. When you vacate your unit, it will be inspected and you will be billed for any missing items or damages beyond normal wear and tear. When you move-in, it is important that you document any damages (take photos, submit a maintenance ticket for issues that can be fixed) that you’ve inspected in the unit and keep them for your record. You will not be billed for legitimate damages that were documented upon move-in. 

Walls, Door and Ceilings
Any method you use to attach something to the walls, doors or ceilings may cause damage, so consider the potential damage before you proceed. While neither sanctioning nor prohibiting attaching things to the walls or ceilings, we remind you that the cost of repairing and repainting damaged room walls, doors or ceilings will be billed to unit residents. The Command Strip brand of removable adhesives works best for hanging things on walls (other brands tend to leave marks when removed).



The Park Apartments and Suites perimeter gates are locked between 7:30 p.m. and 3 a.m. Student housing residents will be granted access by showing their CSUN I.D. to the gate attendant.

Guest Policy
For safety reasons, no guests will be allowed at housing during the fall 2022 semester.

If Student Housing is able to allow guests during the fall 2022 or spring 2023 semester, the following policy will apply:

Guests gain access through approval by a resident host and with a guest pass obtained from the gate personnel between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 3 a.m. In either case, you and your guest must be present to register.

If your guest will be staying past 1:00 a.m. you must register and gain approval to host an overnight guest using our on-line overnight guest registration system. Those registrations need to be completed by 3 p.m. the day before the stay or by 3 p.m. on a Thursday for a weekend stay. For additional guest policies and procedures, please see our policies section at the end of this handbook.

When a resident or guest drives into the facility, a current valid residential parking permit must be displayed in or on the vehicle. Those without permits will be directed to purchase a visitor parking permit or to public parking on the city streets.



Building Entry
During move-in, you will receive an electronic key card that will allow you to access your building, apartment or suite, the pool areas (during hours when the pool is open) and the building where mail services are located.

Key Cards
You are issued a key card to your assigned unit and are responsible for your own key card. Key cards may not be lent to or exchanged with another individual. There is a $25 non-refundable charge for any key card that is lost or stolen. It is a misdemeanor for any person to knowingly duplicate, make, cause to be duplicated, use or have in possession a key to a building controlled by the state without proper authorization (Section 469 of the California Penal Code).

Locked Out
During regular business hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday) residents may go to the Student Housing Office for assistance with lockouts. After 5 p.m. and on weekends, the staff in the Community Center (Building 18) will assist residents with lockouts. A $5.00 charge will be posted to your CSUN account for all lockouts.

Lost Key Cards/Keys
You are responsible for the key card and mailbox key (if applicable) issued to you. If your key card is lost or stolen, immediately contact the Student Housing Office to obtain a new key card. A replacement key card costs $25. Please report lost or stolen cards promptly for the safety of your roommates, neighbors and other community members.

Bedroom Locks in The Park Apartments
Your bedroom door has a privacy feature to allow you to lock the door when you are not in your bedroom. To lock the door, you need to double dip your key card and then double-dip the key card again to unlock it. Only residents assigned to the bedroom will have access to lock and unlock the bedroom door.

Insurance & Personal Property
The University does not assume liability directly or indirectly for loss or damage to personal property by fire, theft, water, or any other cause except to the extent provided by the law. Renters insurance is strongly encouraged for residents. Additionally, the University is not responsible for personal property left behind by residents after their withdrawal, transfer, departure, suspension, or eviction from any room.



Residence Halls Association (RHA)
The RHA is an organization with the goal of promoting a healthy academic and social environment while serving as the student voice for concerns of the community in CSUN Student Housing. RHA provides engaging programs for students to get involved, and hosts regular large scale events, as well as community meetings to discuss concerns and suggestions.

Maintenance and Custodial Services
Student Housing is your home during the academic year, and we are happy to have you here. If there are necessary repairs or maintenance issues, please submit a Maintenance Request in your Student Housing Portal, by phone at (818) 677-2234, or on a request form located in the Student Housing Office or the Community Center (Building 18). Maintenance or Custodial staff members usually respond to these requests within 24 hours. Most repairs are free of charge provided it was not due to vandalism or caused by the resident.

To maintain a clean and healthy living environment, please remove the trash from your unit regularly and deposit it in the large trash bins located in gated areas near each building. We request that trash from your room not be placed in the smaller waste cans located within the buildings. All food products must be thrown away in trash bins. Recycling bins for aluminum items, glass, and newspaper are located near the outside trash bin areas.

To park in the residential parking lots, including the parking structure next to Lupin Hall (Building 11), you must purchase and display a resident parking permit. The permit is valid in on-campus student lots and in the residential parking lots. General student permits are not valid in the residential parking lots. Vehicles without proper permits will be cited. Special permits are required for staff and disabled parking spaces. University Parking Services oversees all parking operations. You may purchase a resident parking permit through CSUN Portal.

University guests and visitors must purchase and display a parking permit as well. Daily permits may be purchased in the F10 and F9 lots, as well as the G9 parking structure. Permits cost $8 per vehicle per day and allow vehicles to park in the residential parking lots.

TV Services
Spectrum U provides streaming television service to The Park Apartments and Suites. Please visit the Spectrum U information Page for additional information on how to access this service.

Recreational Facilities
Basketball and sand volleyball courts are open from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily on the east side of The Park Apartments and Suites. Three swimming pools are located in Student Housing, two on the east and west ends of The Park Apartments and Suites and one in The Village Apartments. Pool hours are 10 a.m.-10 p.m. daily. Guests must be accompanied by a resident. Because there is no lifeguard on duty, you swim at your own risk. Children are not allowed to swim without the presence of an adult who is responsible for their safety. For safety reasons, glass containers are not allowed in the pool areas.

Mail: Receiving, Sending, and Pickup
If you have mail sent to you while you are living in student housing, the address you will use is as follows:

  • Your name
    Student Housing
    17950 Lassen St., (Box #)*
    Northridge, CA 91325

*Your mailbox number is located under contact information in your Student Housing Portal.

Mail for each building is sorted and delivered Monday through Friday. Residents in The Park Apartments and Suites will be assigned a mailbox outside the lobbies of either Piñon Hall (Building 9) or Heather Hall (Building 13).

Mail and packages must be addressed to you using the name you indicated on your housing application. Packages with a name other than the one in our look-up system will be returned to sender.

If you receive a package or oversized envelope that will not fit into your resident mailbox, you will receive a package notification via email. All packages can be picked up at the Mail Services Office in Piñon Hall (Building 9). You must bring your CSUN I.D. to retrieve your package.

Please note, we do not accept packages with perishables.

Check your box regularly. If your mailbox is full for more than 15 days your mail will be returned to sender.

Computer Lab
Student Housing offers a computer lab in Hawthorne Hall (Building 18). There are eight workstations and two print stations in this building. All students are welcome to use any available workstation to study, print 20 free pages per day or just surf the web.

Computers for printing only are also available in the common area of the Learning Center (Building 21). There are four workstations and two print stations in this building.

Student Housing Technology Services
Internet: Student Housing Technology Services supports broadband and reliable network connections throughout The Park Apartments and Suites and The Village Apartments, including wireless connectivity in common study areas. Illegal file sharing is expressly prohibited.

Student Housing website: Student Housing Technology Services also develops and maintains the Student Housing website and the Student Housing Portal.  If you have issues with online applications, forms, or requests, please contact Technology Services by phone (818) 677-6114 or email. You can also create a maintenance ticket regarding these issues.

Maintenance and troubleshooting: If you have trouble accessing the network or internet TV, please create a maintenance ticket in the Student Housing Portal. For network configuration or diagnostics of your computer, please come to the Student Housing Technology Services office with your device. We do not remove spyware and viruses from student computers. We do not charge any cost for computer diagnostics.

Recreational and Educational Amenities
The Community Center (Building 18) provides recreational amenities for students including table games, video games and board games. There are three televisions inside and a large patio television outside for entertainment.  We provide PlayStation, Xbox, and a Nintendo Switch for gaming and a Blu-ray disc player to watch movies. The Community Center is open 24 hours a day.

The Learning Center (Building 21) has classrooms and conference rooms equipped with computers, televisions, and projector screens and is ideal for group study, discussions, and tutoring sections. The Learning Center is also home to The Spot, tutoring services offered at Student Housing as no additional cost. The Spot is open Sunday-Thursday, 7-11 p.m.

Vending Machines
Beverage machines and some snack machines are located in most buildings in The Park Apartments and Suites. Malfunctions or money losses should be reported to the University Corporation by following the instructions posted on each machine. The University Corporation can also be reached at (818) 677-6583.

Laundry Facilities
Washers and dryers are provided on the first floor of each Apartment building, each floor of The Suites. Use your apartment/suite key for access. Machines are operated with credit or debit cards. Malfunctions should be reported to the laundry company as indicated on the machines.

Please remember that you are sharing these facilities with many residents. Do not leave your clothes unattended — and remember to respect others’ property.



Illegal file sharing
Online file sharing of copyrighted material is against the law and can result in an individual’s loss of access to the campus internet connection.

The campus Office of Information Security responds to reports of abuse and can block access to the internet when a computer is reported as sharing files illegally. To prevent being blocked from the university network, do not install or use any file sharing software like Usenet or BitTorrent, which execute commands that can place your computer at risk. In the event a computer has been blocked from the network, the owner must bring the computer to Oviatt Library, Room 33, anytime Monday through Thursday 8 a.m.-7 p.m., and Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Residents living on campus may bring their computer to the IT office in Student Housing Office.

Technicians will verify that the computer has indeed been blocked and uninstall any file sharing software on your computer.

Once the computer has been cleaned, it will be permitted back on the university network. Repeat violations will be turned over to the office of the Dean of Students and can result in disciplinary sanctions.

Additionally, if you allow your computer to illegally download or distribute copyrighted material, you can face civil lawsuits from the Recording Industry of America and/or The Motion Picture Association of America for downloading copyrighted content. In extreme cases, you can be charged with a crime and face fines and/or jail time. Policies governing the use of copyrighted materials and the use of university’s technology resources can be found at the following locations:

Copyright Law of the United States
CSUN Copyrighted Materials Policy
CSUN Use of Computing Resources Policy
CSUN Student Conduct Code

Young Children Swimming Pool Safety Alert
Each year, about 260 children under age five drown in swimming pools. The suction from drains in swimming pools, under certain conditions, can entrap swimmers underwater. Closely supervise young children and be prepared in case of emergency. If a child is missing, always look first in the pool. Seconds count! Knowing how to swim doesn’t make a child drown-proof. Never use flotation devices as a substitute for supervision. Keep rescue equipment and a phone next to the pool. Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

Skateboards, Roller Skates, Hover Boards and Similar Equipment on Campus Grounds
The use of skates, roller skates, skateboards, electronic skateboards and other similar skating equipment on the grounds of the campus or other grounds owned or controlled by the university is permitted for individual transportation purposes only by students, university employees, or other individuals conducting official university business, utilizing university facilities available to the public or attending university programs. Skating for transportation must be conducted with full attention to pedestrians, bicycles, etc. and must be at a safe speed. Any type of skating is strictly prohibited when a skater is moving and jumping and a skate or the wheels of the skateboard touch anything other than the ground. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, handrails, pedestrian ramps, patios, walls, benches, fountains, stairs, raised surfaces, parking structures, curbs, landings, or similar structures not intended for such use.

Use of in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, electronic skateboards and other similar skating equipment is strictly prohibited within all buildings, including the residence halls.

Motorized Devices with Lithium Ion Batteries Are Prohibited
The use, possession and storage of hover boards or similar motorized devices that use lithium ion battery packs (or similar) is strictly prohibited on the grounds and within the buildings of the university, including the residence halls. Students who currently have such devices should remove them from campus and/or not bring them back to campus. Motorized devices used due to disability are exempt from this policy.

The purpose of this policy is to reduce the risk of pedestrian or user injury on campus. In the case of hover boards or similar motorized devices that use lithium ion battery packs (or similar), the purpose of this policy is to eliminate the risk of fires and/or personal injury.



Please read the Student Housing Rules and Regulations


2022-2023 COVID-19 Addendum

California State University Northridge
Student Housing License Agreement Terms & Conditions
2022-2023 COVID-19 Addendum

This Addendum to the Student Housing License Agreement is expressly incorporated into and supplements the Student Housing License Agreement (“License”) terms and conditions for 2021-2022. Before completing and electronically signing this Addendum, please read the provisions carefully. Except as expressly stated herein, this Addendum does not alter any conditions or obligations in the License. This Addendum is effective for the entire academic year, fall through spring terms, or for such portion of the academic year as may remain at the time the License and/or Addendum are signed. In consideration of the mutual covenants, commitments, and agreements contained herein, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, Licensee agrees as follows:

  1. Notice and Acknowledgment Regarding COVID-19

    Licensee acknowledges that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus pandemic is a worldwide risk to human health. COVID-19 is a highly contagious disease that can spread easily and exponentially and can lead to severe illness or death. According to public health organizations, persons of all ages are at risk. Persons over 65 and those with underlying health conditions are especially vulnerable.

    An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19, or to any SARS-CoV-2 variant (hereinafter referred to collectively as “COVID-19”), exists in any shared or public space where people are present, including on-campus housing. California State University Northridge has taken and will continue to take various measures to address the health and safety of individuals living in on-campus housing. However, those measures will not eliminate the risk of exposure to COVID-19. Accordingly, students who return for face-to-face instruction and who will voluntarily reside in on-campus housing will face a risk of exposure and may contract COVID-19. 

    To minimize the risk to Licensee and others in on-campus housing, Licensee hereby confirms and agrees:

    1. Licensee understands that, although California State University Northridge has taken and will continue to take various measures to protect against exposure in accordance with federal, state and local health authorities’ mandates and guidelines, those measures will not eliminate all risk, and thus there will remain a risk of exposure to COVID-19.
    2. By assuming occupancy, Licensee certifies that, to the best of Licensee’s knowledge, Licensee is not infected with COVID-19.
    3. By assuming occupancy, Licensee certifies that Licensee is not experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19.  Symptoms may include, but are not limited to, a loss of taste or smell, fever, severe headaches, severe fatigue or body/muscle aches, unusual gastrointestinal distress, and/or signs of respiratory illness, such as a dry cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing.
    4. By assuming occupancy, Licensee certifies that, to the best of Licensee’s knowledge, within the immediately preceding 14 days of initially assuming occupancy, Licensee has not been in personal or close contact (within six feet for a total of fifteen minutes or more) with an individual infected with COVID-19.
    5. Licensee understands and agrees that the exclusive purpose for which California State University Northridge is providing voluntary housing is to enable Licensee to complete and/or participate in a campus educational program, but that participating in housing is not required and is done so on a voluntary basis by Licensee. Voluntarily accessing or allowing access to campus housing could expose Licensee or others to COVID-19.
  2. Campus Right of Entry 

    In addition to the conditions and situations outlined in the License Agreement, Licensee must leave the licensed premises to which Licensee is assigned as reasonably requested during Health and Safety Inspections, custodial services, maintenance repairs, or any other inspection in order to practice safe physical distancing and reduce risk of exposure to COVID-19 (or other infectious diseases) or when entry to the licensed premises is legally required by a California State University Northridge  representative.  

  3. COVID-19 Preparedness

    In addition to any item(s) that Licensee is required to maintain under the License Agreement, Licensee is required to procure and maintain the following healthcare supplies and personal protective equipment, such that these supplies will be accessible to Licensee while on campus and living in campus housing:

    1. Hand sanitizer (at least 70% alcohol base);
    2. Appropriate face coverings, as defined by state and local health authorities, and the University; and 
    3. A thermometer.
  4. COVID-19 Occupancy Requirements
    1. Licensee agrees to comply with the directives, policies, and orders of California State University Northridge  and the Board of Trustees of the California State University (collectively, the “University”), and state and local health authorities related to COVID-19, as may be amended from time to time during the term of this License and Addendum, including, but not limited to, all requirements for protective masking/face covering, social distancing, testing, isolation, quarantine, and immunization.
      1. Completion and submission of the COVID-19 symptoms self-screening survey when on campus or in Student Housing to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
      2. Student Housing may restrict the full use of spaces and amenities within the residential community including, but not limited to:
        1. No visitors, including overnight guests, are permitted within my living space.
        2. Access to residential spaces is restricted to residential students, University staff, and approved and screened vendors.
        3. Residents may be limited to only enter the building to which they are assigned unless otherwise posted (i.e., to access critical services such as mailroom, etc.).
        4. Access to and use of amenities/space may be suspended, restricted, or limited in capacity (community space, lounges, kitchen, laundry rooms, elevators, basketball court, volleyball court, pools, etc.).
    2. Licensee agrees to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local public health laws, regulations, orders, and guidance related to COVID-19, as may be amended from time to time during the term of this License.
      1. I understand that I will be required to wear a face covering in housing common areas including hallways and elsewhere on campus in the presence of others.
      2. I understand that failure to do so may result in judicial intervention that may include cancellation of my Housing Contract, in the interest of public health and safety.
    3. Licensee agrees to comply with any COVID-19 testing protocols that may be required by the University and to reasonably cooperate with the University in discharging Licensee’s obligations under this section.
      1. I understand and agree that I may be asked to provide confirmation of a negative COVID-19 test and/or submit to a COVID-19 test during my contract term.
      2. I understand and agree that if an apartment-mate becomes ill with COVID-19, I will need to follow guidance by Student Housing and health officials (Klotz, LA County, etc.), which will likely include quarantining in-place for 14 days.
      3. I understand that I may be required to be tested for symptoms of COVID-19 (temperature checks, nasal swabs, etc.) and provide test results to Student Housing in order to support the safety of the community.
    4. Licensee understands and agrees that COVID-19 immunization is required by the University as a condition of occupancy, prior to occupying the licensed premises.  Licensee agrees to provide the University certification of vaccination within the time period and in the manner requested by the University.   
    5. Licensee understands and agrees that vaccination exemption must be filed with the Student Housing Office and agrees to be tested for symptoms of COVID-19 (temperature checks, nasal swabs, etc.) and provide test results to Student Housing in order to support the safety of the community.  Licensee further agrees to submit to COVID-19 testing at the request of Student Housing staff at a frequency determined based on health and safety needs.
  5. Confirmed Positive or Exposure to COVID-19 Procedures
    1. In the event that Licensee develops COVID-19 symptoms, tests positive for COVID-19, and/or is exposed to someone known or believed to be infected with COVID-19, Licensee will complete the Student Self Reporting Form found on the Matadors FORWARD website. Licensee must cooperate with direction requested by the Klotz Student Health Center.
    2. If Licensee tests positive for COVID-19, Licensee agrees to be moved into an isolation or quarantine unit of the University’s choosing or select to move off-campus for the duration of their isolation or quarantine.  In addition, Licensee agrees not to attend in-person classes or activities or to visit other on-campus facilities (including, but not limited to, dining halls) or to end isolation until Licensee has satisfied, in the University’s determination, all applicable federal, state, and local public health criteria for discontinuing isolation.
      1. While in isolation, not leave designated isolation unit unless in imminent danger or are directed to do so by the LACPH or a staff member from the Klotz Student Health Center.
      2. While in isolation, guests or visitors are not permitted at any time.
      3. Housing agreement will be revoked if found outside isolation unit without authorization or found to have visitors.
      4. Deliveries of purchased personal items can be arranged on weekdays through Student Housing Mail Services.
      5. While in isolation, twice daily temperature self-monitoring for symptoms is required.
      6. Contact with the Klotz Student Health Center on a regular basis to discuss any symptoms and other health concerns is required.
      7. Designated Student Housing staff liaison is the single point of contact for any questions or concerns while in isolation.
    3. Licensee acknowledges and agrees that a medical authority, which may be Student Health Services or other medical authority approved by the University, will determine if Licensee may self-isolate in a designated isolation unit on-campus or if Licensee must be referred to an off-campus healthcare facility, depending on the severity of Licensee’s symptoms.  Licensee agrees to cooperate with any directive issued by Student Health Services or by a medical authority approved by the University under this section. 
    4. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of this COVID-19 Addendum to License Agreement may result in the termination of the License Agreement, removal from Student Housing, and/or disciplinary action pursuant to CSU Executive Order 1098.