Dear Future Residents,
Welcome to CSUN Student Housing!
To be eligible to attend GREAT Escape, you must be either a first-year resident in one of our Living-Learning or Themed-Living Communities (LLC/TLC), or a resident in our Transfer/Second-Year Experience TLC - building 3.
WHAT IS G.R.E.A.T. ESCAPE?
GREAT Escape is an early move-in program designed to acclimate and integrate eligible residents to CSUN and Student Housing. GREAT Escape participants will have the chance to interact and engage with their peers and current student leaders through games, social events and informative workshops - geared towards establishing a successful career here at CSUN. This program gives you the opportunity to acquire lifelong skills, build social connections and increase awareness of valuable resources.
WHEN IS G.R.E.AT. ESCAPE?
GREAT Escape is a three-day event, stretching from Wednesday, August 19th to Friday, August 23rd. Move-in will be on Tuesday, August 18th at 6 PM.
WHAT WILL THE SCHEDULE LOOK LIKE?
Tentative schedule is coming; a concrete schedule will be distributed upon arrival
Early move-in: WHAT YOU GET OUT OF G.R.E.A.T. ESCAPE
- G.R.E.A.T. Escape participants have the opportunity to move in before their peers. Our focus during this program is to help influence your transition to college, and prepare you with tools for success when challenges arise. The transition to CSUN can be difficult for many, but we want to ensure that you are equipped with the resources to make your transition easier. Becoming familiar with this new environment ensures that you receive the most interactive and engaging college experience.
- Learning Objective
- Self-Discovery: This program will allow you to reflect on your past experiences and how they might impact your college career.
- Community Building: G.R.E.A.T. Escape offers an opportunity to build relationships and develop a sense of belonging.
- Embrace Transition: You will be given the tools to overcome challenges, and, thrive in your academic and personal endeavors.
- Diversity: we pride ourselves on intersecting identities in order to promote a respectful, inclusive, and diverse atmosphere.
We look forward to seeing you at G.R.E.A.T. Escape
How do I know if I’m eligible to come to G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Easy! Follow these steps! You must check yes to all of them:
Checklist to know if you’re eligible to attend G.R.E.A.T. Escape
*Must Check “Yes” to All
- Are you a First-Time Freshman (FTF) Or, are you a resident in the Transfer and Second-Year Experience TLC?
- First-Time Freshman A first-time freshman is a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation.
- Have you received confirmation of your housing space?
- Is your confirmed space in one of the following communities:
- Building 2 = Health and Wellness LLC
- Building 3 = Transfer & Second-Year Experience TLC
- Building 4 = Music LLC
- Building 4 =Cross-Cultural TLC
- Building 6 = Lighthouse LLC
- Building 9 = Living Above the Influence TLC
- Building 11 = Honors LLC
- Building 11 Engineering and Computer Science (ECS) LLC
- Building 14 = Cinema Television Arts (CTVA) LLC
- Suites = First Year Experience LLC
*Please note that some of the LLCs and TLCs are on specific floors of the respective building. You should have received an email confirmation regarding your acceptance to the LLC and TLC.
If you answered yes to all three questions, CONGRATULATIONS, you are eligible to participate in G.R.E.A.T. Escape!
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
When is move-in for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Move-in for the 2020 G.R.E.A.T. Escape orientation is Tuesday, August 18th (times to be determined)! When you arrive to Student Housing, staff will be available to guide you to your check-in location.
I’m a parent, guardian, or loved one, of the student participating in G.R.E.A.T. Escape, but I anticipate staying in the area for a night or two. What are my options?
We, in Student Housing and Residential Life, do offer Guest Housing!
California State University, Northridge offers several hotel-style guest housing suites at a daily rate. The guest suites offer a wide range of amenities, including the convenience of being within walking distance of classrooms, laboratories, administrative offices and other campus facilities.
Please visit https://www.csun.edu/housing/guest-housing for more information regarding availability and rates.
Additionally, we would like to note, while we love family and friend support during this momentous occasion, we do recommend and require your student(s) to be on-campus and present during the events and sessions we offer. Therefore, we discourage student(s) from leaving while sessions and events are occurring.
When will we get the detailed schedule for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
All students will receive a detailed schedule of the events during check-in! If you require additional services or means of reading the materials shown, please email email@example.com
I and/or my student are deaf/hard of hearing. Will there be services available?
Absolutely! In Student Housing, we have three professional staff interpreters that can, and will, be present when services are needed.
If you require these services, please email Matt Soto at firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m a new transfer student to CSUN, can I come to G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
First-time transfer students residing in building 3, our Transfer and Second-Year Experience TLC, are eligible and highly encouraged to attend GREAT Escape. Transfer students who are not in this TLC, are not eligible to attend Great Escape.
Do I have to pay for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Every student who is contracted into a living space within a LLC and TLC, is charged a one-time $40 learning community fee. This fee is assessed to all freshmen in LLC/TLCs, whether or not they attend G.R.E.A.T. Escape. This fee covers the cost of G.R.E.A.T. Escape and additional community based programs throughout the year.