Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply for housing?

Housing applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are currently available. Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and space typically fills quickly. We recommend completing your Student Housing contract by April 20, 2017 to have a better chance of receiving a space, however space is often available after that date. A completed contract includes submitting the online application, paying the initial payment online, and electronically signing the license agreement paperwork.  Students under the age of 18 must print, sign, have their parent or guardian sign, and mail in the license agreement paperwork.

Do I have to pay the $50 initial payment?

A complete license agreement includes all documents, signed and turned in and an online initial payment of $50. License agreements are not considered complete without the online initial payment. The Student Housing office is unable to make payment plan arrangements for the $50 initial payment. Students that are currently wards of the court or foster youth may request an extension for submitting their initial payment to arrange for their social services agency to process their payment.

Why do I need to give you proof of financial aid? Can't you see it on my account?

Providing Student Housing with proof of financial aid lets us know that you are going to live on campus and want to reserve your space. Any student who does not make a payment or show proof of financial aid by July 21, 2017 will be cancelled and added to the end of the waiting list.

Can I still apply for housing if I have not yet been admitted to the university?

You can still apply for housing if you have applied to the university and not yet been admitted. The only requirement to apply for housing is a student ID number, which the Admissions and Records office mails to students who have applied to CSUN. If you have not received a student ID number, please contact Admissions and Records at (818) 677-3700.

When will I be notified that I have a room if I am on the waiting list?

Students can check their waiting list number when they log into the Student Housing Portal. Waiting list numbers may stay the same for a while and then suddenly drop; it all depends on the number of cancellations we receive throughout the summer and fall. When you are offered a space, you will be notified via email (our primary method of communication) and a courtesy telephone call. After notification, you have three days to contact us to accept the space before it is offered to another student on the waiting list.

Who is my roommate?

Our online room selection process allows students to choose their own room. Once a student selects a room, the information he or she elects to release will be listed. Here is a list of the information that a student can share:

  • First name
  • Last name
  • Phone number
  • Email address
  • Major
  • Smoking or non-smoking (all rooms are non-smoking rooms)
  • Clean or messy
  • Goes to bed early or goes to bed late

The online room selection process ends on July 21, 2017.  Students that have not selected space by July 24, 2017 will be auto-assigned to available spaces at random.

What if I decide not to live on campus?

A cancellation form (Release from Student Housing License Agreement) can be found on the Forms and Service Requests page of the Student Housing website.
 Submitting a request for release does not guarantee the release will be approved.  Cancellations received, and approved, after students check-in to Student Housing are subject to the required 30-day notice period. Spring only students must cancel before Dec. 1, 2017 to cancel without this penalty.

I did not receive the Financial Aid award anticipated; now what do I do?

Students are responsible for the balance of the housing payments and any other charge on their university student account that is not covered and paid by financial aid disbursements.

How do I make a payment?

There are three ways to make a payment to your university student account:

  • Online at myNorthridge Portal
  • Mail to University Cash Services, 18111 Nordhoff St., Northridge, CA 91330-8214
  • Pay in person at the cashier in Bayramian Hall, on campus

How will I receive messages from Student Housing?

We primarily communicate by email. We recommend that you check your email often so you don't miss important information.

What personal information can Student Housing share with my parents?

Federal laws such as the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protect student information if a student is over the age of 17. We will not give out room numbers or phone information, grades or discipline issues to anyone—even if it is an emergency. We need to talk to the student directly. You are here to learn both in the classroom as well as outside of the classroom and managing your own account is the best way to start. Resolving roommate problems, dealing with maintenance issues or setting up a phone line are great ways for students to learn how to negotiate the administrative process. We urge parents to give students the opportunity to solve their own problems before stepping in. You may complete a FERPA form located on our website which will allow us to speak with whomever you designate to receive information.

How do I purchase a meal plan?

Contact the meal plan office at (818) 677-2655 or visit the Residential Dining website.

Where do I get my mail?

Mailboxes are located in building 9 and building 13. Notices will be sent via email when you receive a package.  Packages can be picked up from Mail Services in the lobby of building 9.  Showing a picture ID is required when picking up a package.

How do I figure out my mailbox number and combination?

You can find out your mailbox number and combination by logging onto your Student Housing Portal.

If the gates for the E9 or G8 parking lots are closed at 7:30 p.m. and I need to get my car out for an emergency, how do I do that?

If you are locked into any of the parking lots after the gates have closed at 7:30 p.m. you can contact Department of Police Services at (818) 677-2111 to request the gate be opened, but only in an extreme emergency.

Is the track next to housing available for residents to use?

No, the track is not available for residential students. It is owned and operated by the CSUN Athletics Department.

Can I send packages from the residence halls or do I have to take it to FEDEX, USPS and UPS?

You can send packages from our mailroom. In order to send a package from the mailroom, you have to pay for all of the postage and then drop the package off at the mailroom in building 9. They will deliver the package to the post office for you. If you would like to send something using UPS or FEDEX, you can do so by paying for the postage and arranging a pick up time for the package with the company from the mailroom in building 9.

Do all the buildings have elevators?

Elevators can be found in buildings 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20 and 21.

Is there a cleaning service?

No, there is not a cleaning service, however if you would like to hire a service to come and clean your room you are able to do so with the consent of your roommates and at your own expense.

Can nails be used to hang items on the walls?

We would prefer that nails not be used to hang items on the walls. If you would like to hang things on your wall please use damage free Command Strips.

Is there housing for graduate students?

All students are afforded the opportunity for housing. Graduate students can live in either the Apartments at University Park or in the Apartments at University Village.

What support does Student Housing provide to trans students who would like assistance finding a room and a roommate placement?

CSUN Student Housing is committed to providing a safe and welcoming living environment for all students, including students who identify as transgender, gender-queer or gender non-conforming. Trans students seeking accommodations for living in the residence halls should contact Liberty Freeman at liberty.freeman@csun.edu. All requests will be kept confidential.

What do I do if a neighbor is making too much noise?

We use a community standards model of living here at CSUN. If your neighbor is being loud we encourage you to start dialogue with your neighbor and ask them politely to quiet down and explain how they are impacting your studies. If this tactic does not work then we urge you to speak with your resident advisor.

Why is the air conditioner always locked?

The air conditioner is locked as an energy saving tactic.

Why do I have to follow all the policies?

By choosing to live in campus housing you agree to follow all of the policies. These policies are set in place to ensure the academic success and safety of all of our residential students.

What is Residence Halls Association (RHA)?

The Residence Halls Association (RHA) is an organization with the goal of promoting a healthy academic and social environment while serving as the student voice for concerns of the community in CSUN Student Housing. RHA provides engaging programs for students to get involved, and hosts regular community meetings to discuss concerns and suggestions.

For more information about RHA, please contact Matt Soto, Coordinator for Residential Student Engagement, at matthew.soto@csun.edu

Why do we have gate closures?

Gate closures are to ensure the safety of all of our residential students and their guests. Gate closures allow campus housing to limit access into the residence halls to only housing students and their registered guests, which keeps out individuals that may be disruptive to the community.

What's the difference between my resident advisor and academic mentor?

Your resident advisor's main focus is to ensure that all residential students have a healthy and positive experience while living in campus housing through various activities and services. The main focus of your academic mentor is to assist you in attaining academic success by examining and tracking student's academic habits.

How do I submit maintenance requests?

Maintenance requests can be placed either online or via phone at (818) 677-2234.

Where are laundry rooms?

Laundry rooms are located on the first floor of each building in the Apartments at University Park, in the Apartments at University Village adjacent to the Village Apartment recreation room and on each floor in the Suites at University Park. You will need to use a debit card or credit card to pay.

Where can I check out vacuums?

There is a vacuum located in each of the buildings. Vacuums can be checked out from your RA by using your CSUN Student ID.

Where do I register overnight guests online?

To register overnight guests go to the Overnight Guest Registration page. 

What is the $15.00 RHA Fee?

This one-time annual fee is charged to all CSUN Student Housing residents and it is established to partially fund the Residence Halls Association (RHA). RHA is essentially your student governing board in housing that promotes student advocacy and plans engaging events for residents to enjoy.

Your $15.00 goes a long way! Not only do we plan the largest-scale events in Student Housing, but we also work to respond to resident concerns within the residential experience.

If you have further questions about this fee, please contact Residence Halls Association (RHA) at rha@csun.edu.

Do I have to pay for utilities, cable and internet?

If you live in the Apartments and Suites at University Park you do not pay for utilities, cable or internet. The price is already included in your monthly installments. If you live in the Apartments at University Village, you do pay for utilities, cable and internet.

Where and how do I register game consoles and computers to aid in protecting them from theft?

If you would like to register your game console and/or computer you can do so with crime prevention at the Department of Police Services building located on the corner of Darby Avenue and Prairie Street.

How do phone lines work (payment, setting it up, etc.)?

If you would like a landline please go to the Phone Service section of the Living In Housing page.

Where should students park to avoid having car locked up during gate closure?

In order to keep your car from being locked in during gate closures, students should park in the G9 parking structure, F8, F9 and F10 parking lots or use street parking.

Where do students get parking permits?

You can buy parking permits online through your myNorthridge Portal.

How can I do a room swap or a room change?

If you would like to request a room swap or room change, you can contact your community director via email, phone or stop by the Office of Residence Life to schedule an appointment.

What if I have safety concerns?

If you have safety concerns please feel free to discuss those with your resident advisor, your community director or the Department of Police Services. In emergencies, please contact the Department of Police Services at 911 or (818) 677-2111 when using cell phones.

Are refrigerators or microwaves provided?

If you are living in a room with a kitchen, refrigerators are provided. If you are in a room without a kitchen, refrigerators are not provided. Microwaves are not provided in any of our rooms.

Are toiletries, broom, mops, etc. provided?

Toiletries, brooms, mops, etc. are not provided. These items have to be purchased.

Where is the mailroom?

The mailroom is located in the lobby of building 9.

What is my address to receive mail?

Your Name

17950 Lassen Street
, Box # ___________

Northridge, CA 91325

How do I find out about the meal plan?

If you have meal plan questions contact the Meal Plan office. They are located on the third floor of Sierra Hall or by phone at extension (818) 677-2655. For more information, visit the Residential Dining website.

I'm locked out of my room, what do I do?

Depending on the time there are several people you can contact. If you are locked out between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., you can go to the Student Housing office. If you are locked out between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., you can go to the Community Center. If you are located out between the hours of 7 p.m. and 8 a.m., you can contact the resident advisors on duty. On-duty phone numbers are located on the doors of each building.

Why can't I smoke on my balcony?

CSUN is a smoke-free campus.  Smoking is prohibited inside all of our buildings and on all areas of the grounds, including the sidewalks surrounding housing facilities. This includes the use of smoking devices such as vaping devices, electronic cigarettes, and/or hookah pipes. 

If the three of us agree with each other, can we kick the fourth roommate out?

You cannot kick a roommate out of the room if you are not getting along. However, feel free to ask your resident advisor to have a mediation with you and your roommates. If the issue continues, please speak with your community director about doing a possible room change for yourself.