Training Objective: The objective of this training is to provide participants with the content knowledge and skills to educate breastfeeding families in the community from the time of pregnancy through the perinatal period.
Target Audience: Nursing students, Registered Nurses, Registered Dietitians, Social Workers, Public Health Educators
Benefits of Completing this Training:
Complete a Lactation Education Accreditation and Approval Review Committee (LEAARC) Recognized Breastfeeding course and earn the designation of a Certificated Lactation Educator (CLE).
Earn continuing education credits
Satisfy the 45-hours of the 95 hour lactation education requirement including 5 hours focused on communication skills to qualify for the exam administered by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE).
All training sessions will be delivered virtually in a hybrid format: 20% of the instruction will be delivered live via zoom and remaining 80% will be delivered via pre-recorded lectures and assignments completed on a weekly basis.
Training Dates and Times:
Live zoom sessions will take place on select Saturdays. For details on specific training dates and times click the Red 'Register Now' button at the top of this page.
Training Facilitator information: Byanka V. Melgar, MPH, CHES, IBCLC
Registration includes: Electronic version of syllabus, continuing education credits and upon successful completion of the training certificate of course completion enabling participant to use the designation of Certificated Lactation Educator (CLE).
We reserve the right to reschedule trainings, if necessary. Every effort will be made to notify the participants of a cancelled training. Fees paid may be applied to an alternate training, or a 100 percent refund will be issued. Please allow four to six weeks to receive a refund.
A full refund will be granted if the training is canceled. The full registration fee will be refunded for withdrawal requests made 30 days before the first class meeting. 50% refund will be refunded for withdrawal requests made 29- 15 days before first day of class. No refunds are available 14 days or less before the first day of class.
The Politics of Breastfeeding
Current Breastfeeding Recommendations, Trends and & the Medical advantages of Breastfeeding
Historical Evidence of Breastfeeding the Decline of Breastfeeding
The Impact of Infant Marketing of Formula on Global Infant Health outcomes & Breastfeeding Rates
The Rise in Breastfeeding & the Evolution of lactation as a Specialty
Health Care Professionals, Paraprofessionals & Volunteers’ Role in Supporting Breastfeeding
International Breastfeeding Promotion Initiatives
National Breastfeeding Promotion Initiatives
The Anatomy of Breastfeeding
The Physiology of Breastfeeding
Application of Health Behavior Theory to Understand Breastfeeding Behavior
Breastfeeding Barriers in the United States
Common Breastfeeding Barriers
Strategies to Overcome Common Breastfeeding Barriers
Counseling Skills for the Communication about Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding Myths and Misconceptions
Nutrition during pregnancy
Nutrition during lactation
Hospital Practices that Hinder and Support Breastfeeding
Getting Breastfeeding Started
Training to Become a Lactation Professional
This training is provided in collaboration with:
CSUN’s: Minor in Human Lactation Program
CSUN’s Master in Public Health Program
CSUN’s Center for Health Promotion and Leadership
The Perinatal Advisory Council: Leadership, Advocacy and Consultation (PAC/LAC)
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be provided at no additional fee through our Joint Provider PAC/LAC.
PAC/LAC is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFT and LCSW. CE Provider #128542. PAC/LAC maintains responsibility for the program/course and its content. Course meets the qualifications for hours of continuing education credit for LCSW and LMFT as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
PAC/LAC, a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CECH) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. This program is designed for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) to receive Category 1 continuing education contact hours.
PAC/LAC is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing Provider CEP 5862. This course is approved for contact hours of continuing education
Grievances: Students with a grievance must complete a grievance from within 30 days after they complete a training and email email@example.com
Accommodations: For Accommodations email Cathy Kitinoja at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days before first day of class.