Our programs lead the way in the study of Kinesiology because of a broad approach that encompasses great detail. Our facilities are outstanding, including a new $13,000,000 building which is the most comprehensive facility of its kind in the CSU system. All new laboratories for research and teaching in biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor behavior, and athletic training, as well as a new dance studio, a modern computer laboratory, and extensive activity spaces enhance the learning experience.
Our faculty are nationally recognized and hold roles of leadership in a variety of professional organizations including
- The American Alliance for Health (our faculty have served on the Board of Governors for the organization)
- Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (including a president of the SWD AAHPERD)
- The Southwest Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine (a presidency)
- International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS)
Members of CSUN's Kinesiology faculty regularly publish the results of their research in national or international journals, and others are authors of leading textbooks in their fields of study.
The Center of Achievement & Abbott and Linda Brown Western Center for Adaptive Aquatic Therapy
Our renowned Center of Achievement offers an internationally respected program in adapted and therapeutic exercise and modified sports. Our programs have enabled hundreds of students and community members with severe physical disabilities to find their way into the mainstream of society. Students specializing in adapted physical education, pre physical therapy, athletic training, and recreation therapy do laboratory work at the center.
Community Outreach Programs:
- Wheelchair Sports Camp. Los Angeles area children from 8 to 18 years of age who are disabled become part of a two-week long celebration of fun every summer. The day-camp features fitness and recreation with assistance from our faculty, students and community members who are also working with disabilities.
- Youth Fitness, Sports, and Dance. Local children participate in this summer-time fun program.
- Modern Dance in Concert - this annual dance performance is choreographed and performed by our dance students and attracts capacity crowds every year.
- The Kinesiology Majors' Club sponsors social activities, fundraisers, and provides student interaction across the disciplines.
- Athletic Training Club offers students in the Athletic Training program a chance to network, share information and enjoy social events together.