The CSUN MPH program admits students who demonstrate professional and academic excellence. The admissions committee evaluates applications on a number of factors, including GPA, work experience, statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation. Applicants must meet the requirements for admission to the University's graduate programs and those additional requirements of the Master of Public Health program.
At CSUN, we not only evaluate minimum GPA scores, but also look to see if the applicant is a good “fit” for our educational model. In short, we are a professional program that seeks to support an individual’s career path and aspirations. We seek individuals with a clear focus on how they will contribute to the enhancement of well-being within the community. We offer all core MPH classes at 4PM, and elective courses at 7PM because the vast majority of our students are working during the day. Holistically, we look at the total person, and not just a GPA or GRE score.
Prospective students are required to apply online. Only complete applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The following are required for your application to be considered for the Public Health Graduate Program:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university – Students are not required to have a degree in public health; but a health-related degree can be beneficial.
- Official Transcripts - 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- If your overall GPA is above a 3.0, you do not need to take the GRE.
- If your overall GPA is below 3.0, but your last 60-unit GPA is 3.2 or higher, you do not need to take the GRE. However, it may help strengthen your application.
- If your overall GPA is below 3.0, and your last 60-unit GPA is below 3.2, you must take the GRE.
- If you take the GRE, one (1) of the three (3) sections must be at least 50% or higher
- A resume or CV – Include professional work experience, internships, and/or volunteer experience related to public health.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation – one (1) letter should be from an academic instructor if the applicant recently graduated within the last two years. Other letters may be from employer(s) and/or preceptors as they relate to your public health work experience.
- Personal Statement detailing your background, work experience in public health, professional goals, and why CSUN’s MPH program fit your goals
- International students, who do not have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. university, are required to submit official TOEFL scores
Please do not send any paper materials to the department office – all materials are to be submitted online!