The Master of Science in FCS
For admission as a classified graduate student, the following requirements must be satisfied:
- Hold a baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree from an officially accredited university or college in Family and Consumer Sciences, the option to which the student is applying, or a related field.
- Have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or greater for courses taken in the bachelor’s degree. Applicants with less than a 3.0 undergraduate GPA who can demonstrate evidence of academic acumen, may submit their application for consideration.
- Formal approval by the department, based on the complete application and supporting documents.
- Apply to the university (please note you must also apply to the department, see item #6 below).
a. Complete the university application online by visiting Cal State Apply. For more information regarding university admission, please visit the Graduate Studies website for admission guidelines, which can be accessed here.
b. Send your official transcripts to CSUN. More information on how to send your official transcripts to CSUN can be found here.
5. Submit following documents to the FCS department:
- Personal statement of interest
- Please: 1) Restate the prompts provided below; 2) answer each of the prompts; and 3) submit the responses together on one document.
- Prompt 1. Why are you interested in a graduate degree in Family and Consumer Sciences with an Apparel Design and Merchandising or Consumer Affairs and Family Studies option at CSUN? (250 words maximum)
- Prompt 2. Describe any relevant professional and/or academic backgrounds that qualify you for graduate work. (300 words maximum)
- Prompt 3. What is your professional goal? How will you achieve it? (300 words maximum)
- Prompt 4. (Optional) What else would you like us to know about you that will help us in considering your application in to the MS program in Family and Consumer Sciences at CSUN? (200 words maximum)
- Copy of transcripts from undergraduate program
Please submit the required documents electronically via e-mail to:
Department Chair, Dr. Yi 'Tom' Cai
The application deadline for Spring 2021 admissions is November 1, 2020.
The application deadline for Fall 2021 admissions is July 1, 2021.
Complete applications will be given full consideration.
If you have questions, please contact the graduate coordinator, Dr. Yi 'Tom' Cai (818/677-3051).
Updated July 15, 2019