Communications Disorders and Sciences

  • Student awardees
  • students and faculty at the american speech, language and hearing association november 2019 annual convention in orlando florida

    ASHA Conference, Orlando, Florida

  • images show clients vestiblar testing with diagnostic equipment

    Department of Communication Disorders & Sciences

Integrating: CCC, CA Licensure, Service Credential

To the beginning student in speech-language pathology, the requirements for a graduate degree and eventual employment may seem quite confusing at first glance.  It is easiest to think of these requirements as following four related, but separate tracks.  One track consists of the courses and clinical practica that are necessary for a baccalaureate and for a master’s degree.  These are the requirements that will seem most familiar as they are based on classes and unit credits.

The other three tracks involve requirements for ASHA certification, state license and school specialist credential.  The Department and the University do not confer a license to practice, nor do we provide professional certification. Our degree program provides the academic and clinical education that makes certification and licensure attainable.

The graduating student who has completed the appropriate courses and clinical practica must apply to the state agency having jurisdiction over the intended practice for a license and are strongly encouraged to apply to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association for certification.  Additionally, for those program graduates seeking a school specialist credential in speech-language pathology, application must be made through the Credential Office at the Michael Eisner College of Education at CSUN. 

It is emphasized that practice without a license in California is a violation of state law, unless the employment is directly with a public school.  Requirements for a license to practice speech-language pathology differ somewhat from one state to another.   Some states require a school specialist credential, issued by their state, while others require only a state license to practice in order to work in the public schools as a speech-language pathologist.

 The Department provides advisement on the requirements and the processes for the degrees, licensure, certification, and school specialist credential.

[For information regarding ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) for Audiology, please see: ASHA CCC Audiology]

California Licensure Information, Speech-Language Pathology

While the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association requires a total of 75 units in specified areas of coursework for the Certificate of Clinical Competence, California State Licensure requires 60 units; therefore, students pursuing the master's degree must consult with an advisor regarding the differences between the requirements of these two Organizations.

Generally, California State Licensure requirements include:

  • 15 units of courses in normal processes of speech, language, and hearing behavior and speech and hearing science.
  • 48 units of courses in speech/language pathology and audiology and in related fields.
  • 30 of these units must be from graduate courses and
  • 24 of these units must be in the major area of emphasis (speech/language pathology or audiology).

More details for California State Licensure requirements (e.g., application materials) may be accessed at the following:

State of CA License Information