Child and Adolescent Development

  • Students - CADV

Declaring the CADV Major

Majoring in Child and Adolescent Development provides a wonderful foundation for a wide-range of careers and professional pathways. Check out more information here on related CADV career pathways.

Are you thinking about changing your major to CADV but first want to know if you've taken any classes that count towards the major?

  • Watch one of our advising videos to learn how to temporarily change your MAP and "peek" at how your past courses would hypothetically align with the current CADV major (click here to watch a video on how to use your MAP). You can also attend one of our advising workshops. 
  • Click here to view the list of course requirements from our two BA options and read about the differences.

You've decided to change your major to CADV!  Now what?

  • If you have less than 90 units, you can easily do this online without meeting with anyone by following these instructions. 
  • If you have more than 90 units, you will need to have a hardcopy form signed by the CADV Department Chair and Associate Dean of Health & Human Development. You will have to demonstrate that changing your major will NOT impact your time to graduation; this means that you can finish this under 140 units. You will have to update and print your MAP with all courses leading to your anticipated graduation (click here to watch a video on how to use your MAP). 
  • While you are not required to meet with a CADV advisor to change your major, we recommend you attend a CADV advising workshop to learn the tools needed to effectively navigate the CADV requirements, as well as the wide range of CSUN resources available to aid your success as a college student.