Fall 2023 Advisement
Please follow @CADV_CSUN on Instagram for our current advising schedule, professional development workshops, job announcements, and more!
Walk-in Fall Advising Hours in Sequoia Hall 293 Starts on 9/11/23
- Mondays 2pm-3:45pm
- Tuesdays 3pm-5pm
- Wednesdays 2pm-5pm
- Thursdays 9am-11am, 3:30pm-5pm
No appointment necessary! Simply drop by Sequoia Hall 293 or contact the CADV Department Office at 818-677-3385 for assistance.
Various workshops on topics such as, registering for classes, how to create an effective resume, how to apply for graduation, and orienting to the major will be offered throughout the fall semester.
For workshop announcements visit us on Instagram: @CADV_CSUN
First-Year Freshmen students are required by the University to receive advisement through The Matador Advising Hub.
All students, please see below for additional advisement information.
The CADV Department does NOT place holds on student enrollment; however the CADV Advisement Team may be able to assist in removing an ADVISEMENT HOLD on your account.
Please note that if you have a different type of hold (i.e., library hold, Title IX Refresher Course hold, Student Health Center/Immunization hold), the CADV Department CANNOT assist with you removing any non-advisement holds.
STEPS TO REMOVING HOLDS ON YOUR ACCOUNT:
1. Check to see if you have a hold(s) on your account by logging into your SOLAR portal (see detailed instructions at link below)
2. If any of the Holds is an ADVISEMENT HOLD, please leave a detailed message including your name, student ID# and cell phone number at 818-677-6350.
3. Make a note of any NON-advisement HOLDS and contact the appropriate offices on campus to get these holds removed so that it doesn’t impact your ability to register at the beginning of your registration appointment. If you cannot figure out which office on campus has placed the hold, contact the Office of Admission & Records at 818-677-3700 or the Health & Human Development Student Services Center at 818-677-2883.
Please note that the CADV Department and CADV faculty do not issue permission numbers for general course enrollment.
IF you are in your final semester at CSUN, once the non-restrictive registration period begins, you may request consideration a permission number to override pre-reqs (e.g., to take 380/L and 470 together in your final semester). The department's logic behind this is that we believe students who HAVE completed all pre-reqs should have priority enrolling in their desired section before students who have not yet completed pre-reqs.
Applying for Graduation
You can and should apply for graduation as soon as you reach 90-units (including the courses you are currently enrolled in/registered for) OR a year before your expected graduation date – whichever comes first! You do NOT NEED TO MEET WITH AN ADVISOR to apply for graduation.
Information on applying for graduation is available at this website: http://www.csun.edu/admissions-records/uds/apply-graduate
Check out this video tutorial.
The graduation application is available at this website: http://www.csun.edu/sites/default/files/applba.pdf
Complete the application and turn it in with your completed DPR (with everything checked and GREEN) to the CADV Dept. office (SQ 285) or the Dean’s office if the Dept. office is closed (SQ 220). You will get a call/email when it is ready for pick up. At that time take the completed and signed form and DPR to A&R (Bayramian Hall) along with the filing fee.
Formatting your Degree Progress Report and Planner (DPR)
Information on how to format your DPR can be found here: http://www.csun.edu/admissions-records/degree-progress-report-and-planner-guide–
Format your Degree Progress Report and Planner (DPR) with your classes planned so everything is checked GREEN.
After you plan your classes --- you will see 5 buttons at the top of the right side panel
1. select the “check mark” to Check your Plan against the Degree Audit – make sure everything is checked green OR has a blue calendar icon (except maybe the UDWPE)
2. Select the (first) button to View the Audit that includes all courses from the plan
3. Select Printer Friendly (top right of the Audit)
4. Print this page (as a PDF if you need to email it).