Graduate Studies

  • new graduate student orientation.

Graduate Student Orientation

Orientation Zoom Room Information

Our office organized 30-minute Zoom meetings on Tuesday, August 10th, so students can speak with departments on campus. The following departments are participating: Associated Students, International and Exchange Student Center, Office of Graduate Studies, University Counseling Center, and the University Library. The meeting schedule is listed below. If you would like to register, please click  HERE.

  • 1:00pm - 1:30pm-Associated Students
  • 1:30pm-2:00pm-University Library
  • 2:00pm-2:30pm-Graduate Studies: Special Programs, Funding & Events
  • 3:00pm-3:30pm-International and Exchange Student Center (IESC)
  • 4:00pm-4:30pm-University Counseling Services
  • 4:30pm-5:00pm- Graduate Studies: Graduate Evaluations

Q&A Responses

Listed below are the departments that provided responses to the questions that were submitted to our office before the orientation.

Admissions and Records-Student ID

  1. What will be the process to receive our student ID?
    The Office of the Registrar is currently working on implementing a photo uploader (CloudCard) which allow students to take a photo on their personal device and upload it without having to take a photo in-person. This will make it faster, safer and easier to obtain a student photo ID. As soon as this option is available, the link to pay for the student photo ID will be reactivated.
    Students may monitor this page for updates:
  2. Will I be able to purchase my ID on campus?
    Yes, student photo ID cards may be purchased at Cash Services, and student ID cards may be issued by Records and Registration at the Student Services lobby in Bayramian Hall, 10am-2pm, Monday-Friday. Please note that staffing and hours are limited and all posted safety protocols must be adhered to. If possible, we recommend patience until the photo uploader (CloudCard) is implemented.
    Students may monitor this page for updates:
  3. How would we get a student ID if we are not able to go to the office and take a picture?
    Once the Office of the Registrar goes live with the photo ID uploader (CloudCard), students will be able to pay online (in their portal) upload a photo (CloudCard) and request to have their ID mailed to them.
    Students may monitor this page for updates:
  4. Do online students need a student ID?
    No, student’s IDs are not a requirement
  5. Is a student ID necessary for the Fall semester?
    No, student’s IDs are not a requirement.
  6. Are we required to purchase our student IDs now, or when campus re-opens?
    No, students IDs are not a requirement. Students may purchase an ID online once the Office of the Registrar implements the CloudCard photo uploader.
    Students may monitor this page for updates:
  7. Can a student living out of state doing distance education only get a student ID?
    There is a special ID process that Tseng developed years ago where they pay for the photo, upload a photo to a Canvas page Tseng maintains, Tseng notifies us, we print them and deliver them to Tseng. We were recently made aware that Nursing students may require a student ID in order to work at a hospital. We are working with Tseng on a solution for newly admitted students that may mirror the one implemented for the distance learning students.
  8. Do we get our ID cards by mail?
    Once the Office of the Registrar implements their photo uploader (CloudCard), student will have the option to have their student photo ID card mailed to them.
    Students may monitor this page for updates:
* If you have additional questions, please call (818) 677-3700 (M-F between 2:00pm-4:30pm) or visit the Admission and Records website.

Associated Students

  1. How can one be more involved with the AS during the master’s program?
    • There are a number of ways that graduate students can be involved with Associated Students. AS is actually composed of several different departments on  campus: Student Leadership, Accounting Services, the Children's Center, Outdoor Adventures, Productions, the Sustainability Center, Sports Clubs, and the Ticket Office. Each of these departments provide services that are integral to student life at CSUN, and provides student participants with the opportunity to be an advocate for student needs and interests through actions such as outreach and programming. Open positions for interested students can be found on the AS website:
    • For anyone interested specifically in Student Leadership, there are a multitude of ways to get involved. First, there is the senate and the cabinet. Senators are elected for their positions, and graduate students could represent graduate students as a whole, or the college they belong to. We encourage you to reach out to any and all senators that represent you, as they will have direct avenues to vouch for you and your needs. There are also a few committees that students can volunteer to be part of, such as Elections, Clubs & Orgs Ambassadors, Finance, and Diversity & Inclusion. All details can be found on our website.
  2. What are the student’s groups and clubs that I can join?
    CSUN offers a huge variety of student clubs and organizations, ranging from general interests and passions to those dedicated to specific educational or career goals. All active clubs and organizations are listed on our MataSync portal: At the start of each semester, there is a Meet the Clubs event where you can talk to members of various clubs and sign up to join them. If you have an idea for a club that does not already exist, you are welcome to form a club and apply to be officially recognized through the Matador Involvement Center:
  3.  What strategies have helped you most in balancing work and school?
    One of the best pieces of advice that I have ever received about balancing different aspects of life is from Deborah Hammond, the Executive Director of the University Student Union at CSUN. She told my class that it's not about a work-life or school-work balance; you want to find your rhythm. Everything has its peaks and its valleys -- its waves of busy and calm. Understanding how those waves work and when they arrive and then riding those waves can take a lot of the pressure off of you. I also want to remind you to be kind to yourself. Your body will tell you when you need a break, and you should listen to it. Starting a master's program can be a really big change, especially if you're coming back to school after some time away. Be patient with yourself, and make your well-being a priority. Find your people, whether that's your peers, or the staff and faculty around you. They can be some of your best resources as you move along this journey.

Career Center-Updates Coming Soon

  1. Will there be on-campus jobs opportunities despite learning taking place online?
    Yes, there will be on-campus jobs. A few will be in-person and others will be virtual

  2. Are there any on campus job opportunities in the biology and chemistry departments?
    There may be…our recommendation is to contact the departments directly. Or visit our Handshake website.

  3. Are their an online opportunities for interns, jobs and research on campus this fall?
    Yes, there are opportunities, please visit our Handshake website.

  4. How do I access on campus jobs for graduate students?
    Our first recommendation would be to check with your graduate coordinator in your department and to also visit the Handshake website.

  5. What resources are available to help with job opportunities?
    • The Career Center can help with Job Search (Resume, Interviews, & much more). We are conducting virtual drop-ins and appointments, visit the Career Center website to register.
    • For a list of our online resources, visit the CareerLink and Handshake website.

If you have additional questions, please call (818) 677-2878or visit the Career Center website.

Financial Aid

  1. Do students have a one on one financial aid advisor?
    Although students do not have a designated one on one Financial Aid Counselor, Counselors are currently available for phone and zoom appointments.  Starting August 23, Counselors will be available for in-person appointments on campus in addition to phone and zoom. Please consult Financial Aid website for Office and Counseling hours.  To speak with a Financial Aid Counselor, you must first speak with a financial aid representative at (818) 677-4085.  The representative will discuss your questions with you and they are frequently able to answer the questions you have.  If the representative determines your questions or concerns are best discussed with a financial aid counselor, they will refer your contact information to the designated counselor to call you, or set up a zoom meeting, or in person meeting. Typically, Counselors are available M-W, 10-3.  However, given current virtual environment, please always check website for latest hours and availability.
  2. How do you apply for financial aid?
  3. When do students need to accept their financial aid award?
    Any grant funding awarded as a Graduate student is automatically accepted and no further action is required by the student.  Student loan funds are always offered and the student would need to accept an amount of their choice through the myNorthridge portal if deciding to borrow.  Loan funds are always offered at the maximum eligibility amount.  Student can accept a lower amount of choice.  Read Tutorial on how to accept a loan.  Loan funds should be accepted in time to meet any tuition deadline so that the funds show as anticipated aid.
  4. Do students have to pay tuition prior to the start of the Fall semester even if they have an "enrollment protection" hold to avoid being dropped from their classes?
    If student has enrollment protection, student does not have to pay by the designated payment deadline and/or prior to start of Fall until aid eligibility is determined.  Financial Aid Office determines if student may be eligible for enrollment protections.  If so, student is notified via CSUN e-mail of the enrollment protection and what to expect.  Please monitor CSUN e-mail for additional information regarding enrollment protection added/deleted and payment deadlines.  For additional information on how to view your To-Do List, anticipated aid, outstanding charges, go to tutorials.
  5.  What should I do if I enrolled in classes and I have not received my financial aid award?
    Please check the myNorthridge portal and CSUN e-mail to determine if Financial Aid & Scholarships department is requesting any additional documents from you for aid eligibility and/or if your file is in review.  Awarding process can take up to 9 weeks from the date of all document submission. If you are ineligible for enrollment protection, you must pay for fees by the designated payment deadline to avoid disenrollment.  Later, when your financial aid eligibility is determined, you will be refunded whatever amount of aid funds you qualify for.  Contact the Financial Aid Office to follow up on the status of your application and award.
  6. What do I do if my application is on hold? How do I clear it?
    Check your student portal and CSUN e-mail for any communications from Financial Aid regarding your application status and/or outstanding document requests.  Submit any outstanding document requests.  Contact us to clarify/clear your status.
  7. If I receive a FAFSA award, what should I do? What are the conditions for the award, is there an interest rate, and when do I start paying it back?
    Grants funds are free and do not need to be repaid if you qualify. Federal Student Loan funds are money that you borrow from the Federal Government that has to be repaid with interest.    The current interest for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan for Graduate students is 5.28% and for Graduate PLUS loan, the rate is 6.28%.
  8. Is the CSU grant awarded for the academic year?
    All aid is awarded for the academic year and the amount is divided equally between Fall and Spring semesters.
  9. Does CSUN take financial aid from the California Dream Act for graduate school?
    Graduate Dream students are considered for possible institutional grant funding if eligible.  Currently, there are not student loans available for Dreamers at the Graduate level.
  10. What are the best ways to choose loan options?
    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized – borrow maximum eligibility of this loan first, since this offers the best interest and terms/conditions.  5.28%
    • Federal Direct PLUS loan for Graduate Students- consider this loan as a second option if you need funding beyond the Unsubsidized loan.  This loan is credit based and offers slightly higher interest rate than Unsubsidized loan. 6.28%
    • Private Education Loans- consider this as an option of last resort.  Credit based loan. Interest rate determined by lender.
  11. After applying for financial aid, do students need to sign any other documents to apply for loans? Can you also provide more information regarding summer loans?
    • If you accept a Federal Student Loan, you will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note and also complete a Loan Entrance Counseling session.  Both steps are completed on-line.
    • You may apply for a summer loan, provided that you enroll minimum 4 units for summer; have not borrowed your full Unsubsidized eligibility during Fall/Spring; or you are deciding to apply for Graduate PLUS or Private Education Loan.  To request a summer loan, you must submit the appropriate Loan Request Form via your student portal. Summer loan forms are typically available through your student portal starting in May for the upcoming summer term.
  12. When can students pick up loan checks?
    Typically, financial aid funds start to disburse 10 days prior to start of the semester.  Funds are applied towards any outstanding CSUN charges first.  Any excess funds are either mailed as a check to the address on file with CSUN, or if student is signed up for e-Refund, funds are deposited into a designated account.
  13. How do I request additional funds for living expenses if I have a private loan?
    Apply and be approved for the loan with the lender of your choice.  The lender will send a request to CSUN to certify your eligibility for the loan based on your enrollment status and financial aid cost of attendance.  Funds are sent to CSUN.  Any funds in excess of CSUN charges are made available to the student.
  14. Are Tseng students eligible to apply for grants or loans provided through CSUN?
    Tseng/EXL students are eligible for Federal Student Loan funding only.
  15. When can you start paying off your unsubsidized student loan? Can you do it after you pay for your classes?
    Typically, repayment on your Unsubsidized loan begins 6 months after you separate from school.  Interest begins accruing right away after loan funds are disbursed.  You can start to repay your loan at any time while in school and prior to the 6month grace period.  Please contact your loan servicer for detailed information.
  16. When are funds distributed for the fall semester?
    Financial aid funds will begin disbursing August 20,2021 and weekly thereafter if you are enrolled in at least 4 units, have no outstanding documents with financial aid, and are awarded aid.  Please note, it may take several days for the funds to be applied towards any outstanding CSUN charges and any excess sent to the student.  For detailed information, please see
  17. How can students get their tuition fees covered by financial aid? What are the eligibility criteria for being covered by financial aid?
    Apply for aid via FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.  Based on the information on your application, Financial Aid Office determines your aid eligibility and notifies you of your award. For additional information, see
  18. When do students submit their application for Post-9/11 GI Bill?
    Please contact CSUN Office of Veterans Affairs for any questions related to Veterans benefits and process.

Learning Resource Center

  1.  What types of tutoring is available for Graduate Students?
    The Learning Resource Center’s Writing Center offers one on one appointments of either 30 or 60 minutes, in person or online, with our faculty consultants.
    Online, we offer individual consultations over ZOOM Sunday through Thursday 10am to midnight and Fridays 10am to 8pm. In person we are currently offering limited sessions in our location on the 3rd floor of the University Library Monday through Thursday, 10am-4pm.
    Visit our website at for step by step instructions on how to make your appointment. Drop ins are also available.
    Graduate students are also welcome to submit larger projects, theses or dissertations to Asynchronous Feedback. Students can send up to 25 pages and within 72 hours, consultants will return their work with feedback containing suggestions for revision. Send your work with a brief message regarding your concerns and areas you would like the consultant to focus on to
  2. Is there any other type of services offered at the LRC for Graduate Students?
    Yes! The Writing Center is happy to introduce DISH: Drop-In Support Hour, especially designed for Graduate Students working on larger projects.
    DISH offers weekly drop-in support sessions paired with structured activities and workshops meant to help you move your larger writing projects forward. We will meet on Zoom on Fridays beginning week two of the semester from 12:30-3:00pm and will continue through to week before finals. Every Friday there will either be a Quick Tip session from 12:30-12:50pm or a Workshop from 12:30pm-1:30pm, both designed specifically for CSUN graduate students based on feedback we collected from previous students. We hope that you will join us! Zoom Link for DISH and Workshops: or use the Meeting ID: 3778398087. For a list of the session topics, please visit our Canvas page:
  3. Are there any study areas in the LRC for graduate students?
    We do not have any in person study areas available for fall 2021, but we do encourage you to study with us on Fridays during the DISH hour.
  4. Will the LRC be open during the fall; even half time?
    We will have limited help in person Monday-Thursday 10am-4pm and we will be open online Sunday -Thursday 10am-midnight and Fridays 10am-8pm.
  5. Will there be any campus facility where we can do homework?
    Unfortunately, no in-person gatherings or meeting space will be available at the LRC.
  6.  I just graduated from CSUN, and my only question is, do we still have the same access to the same resources on campus or does it change? For example, access to the LRC, wellness center or the SRC?
    At this time, Alumni are welcome to one consultation with an Online Writing Lab consultant per semester. They cannot access the student self-serve appointment center, however, so they will need to reach out to to inquire about making an appointment.

* If you have additional questions, please call (818) 677-2033 or visit the Learning Resource Center website.

Office of Graduate Studies

  1. Are there study abroad options for masters-level students?
    The International Programs Office handles all study abroad programs.
  2. What is conditionally classified status?
     A student is conditional classified when they have not completed one of the three requirements for classification. Those are: 1.) Graduate with bachelor’s from an Accredited institution, 2.) Admitted to a graduate program at CSUN and 3.) Passed the UDWPE writing exam.
  3. Are there any webinar's, YouTube, or informational sessions for potential candidates on the do's and don'ts of the application processes of MBA program? 
    Please contact the MBA department or reach out to either Dr. Walker, Director of MBA or Sheila Brown, Asst. Director of MBA program.
  4. What events are held specifically for grad students? If there are, will there be any in the upcoming Fall semester?
    Please see our events website for up-to-date information about webinars, panels, workshops, and more.
  5. When are the dates for UDWPE?
    Currently during the pandemic, we have not offered the UDWPE exam.  Please contact your Graduate Coordinator within your graduate program for further updates.
  6. Are there any specific services for doctoral students?
    There are no specific services for doctoral students only.  Could reach out to your Graduate Coordinator to see if they offer any in the department.
  7. Will students be able to participate in-person in research labs?
    Please check with your Graduate Coordinator or your department for the most update information on in-person labs.
  8. I am enrolled in 4 classes that have wait-listed me. What do I do now?
    I would suggest contacting your Graduate Coordinator for advisement on alternative courses to take.  Wait-list means the course is full and until someone drops or the department adds more seat, if possible the course will not come available to you.
  9. Can I combine a masters with a doctorate degree?
    Unfortunately, no.  We only allow graduates to work on one program at a time.
  10. Where can I apply for graduate assistantship?
    If you mean financial support, visit our website for scholarship opportunities. If you mean internship, that is more discipline specific.
  11. Who are the personnel I should stay involved with in order to be an efficient and successful student? 
    Your Graduate Coordinator within your graduate program.
  12. Do we have to take a writing proficiency test?
    Yes, all students are required to take and pass the UDWPE test.  Only exemptions are:  1.) If you graduated from CSUN or a sister CSU campus or 2.) Received a 3 or higher on the Analytical Writing Assessment section of the GRE exam (please see catalog there are some departments that require a higher score then a 3).
    Are study materials available for that test?
    You can check with the Testing Office.  The Learning Resource Center does offer a 2 or 3 day prep class when the UDPWE is given. 
    Is it due by my first semester? 
    The UDWPE technically needs to be completed before you reach 12 units of in progress or completed work.  Currently UDWPE is not being offered due to the pandemic.  Please check with your Graduate Coordinator for updates on the UDWPE test.
  13. How soon can I apply for an MFA while completing my MA degree? 
    You must complete the first master’s degree before you can start the second master’s.
  14. When do we start receiving the course syllabus? 
    This is up to the faculty member teaching the course.
  15. How often should I meet with my faculty advisor?
    Some departments require mandatory advisement, please check with your Graduate Coordinator.
  16. When will I be given my classes/ permission numbers?
    Please contact either your Graduate Coordinator or graduate department.
  17. How do I know which classes to register for and when?
     Please contact your Graduate Coordinator in your graduate program for advisement on what course(s) you should be enrolling in.
  18. If we just finished our BA at csun, will we be using the same student ID and email that we had been using previously?

 *If you have additional questions, please email or give us a call at (818) 677-2138.

Scholarship Office

  1. Are there any scholarships for international students? If yes, where is that information posted? How do I apply?
    A list of scholarships continuing international students can apply to can be found at: Students can apply though the MyMatador Scholarship Portal located at:
  2. What are my scholarship options? I'm international student from India
    Unfortunately, we do not have any scholarship opportunities for incoming international students. Your best option is to look into departmental scholarships and off-campus scholarships.
  3. How should I apply for graduate international scholarship opportunities for Fall 2021? Will I be considered automatically for scholarships?
    Continuing graduate international students can apply for scholarships via the MyMatador Scholarship Portal when our application period starts in November. These are supplemental scholarships that students need to directly apply to for consideration. Checking in with the departments is another option.
  4. Is there a centralized place for graduate students to apply for scholarships, grants, and fellowships?
    There is no one, central place to look for scholarships, grants, and fellowships. Graduate students can apply for scholarships via the MyMatador Scholarship Portal. For grants, students need to talk to the Financial Aid Department. For Fellowships, students need to talk to the departments.
  5. How often should we check your website for new scholarships? Do you notify students of upcoming scholarship opportunities?
    Students should check the MyMatador Scholarship periodically to see if opportunities get extended/reopened, and should make sure their General Applications are current and updated. Doing so means that they will be notified via email once a new scholarship gets added that meets their academic profile.
  6. How can one apply for scholarships if they are transitioning from undergraduate to graduate level?
    Students can apply via MyMatador Scholarship Portal, but must meet the graduate requirements. In the case that a graduate level GPA is not established yet for students transitioning from undergraduate to graduate level studies, we will use the undergraduate GPA.
  7. Are there any scholarships for Parent Scholars?
    Yes. Students need to self-identify on the General Application of the MyMatador Scholarship portal to be matched with appropriate scholarships.
  8. What scholarships are available for MPA students?
    Students need to self-identify on the General Application of the MyMatador Scholarship portal to be matched with appropriate scholarships. The majority of the scholarships offered through the financial aid office are available to all students, regardless of major. For major specific scholarships, we recommend you check in with your department.
  9. As a student Tseng student, are there other types of scholarships that I qualify for?
    Tseng students that are enrolled in degree-granting program that is Financial Aid-eligible can apply for scholarships though the MyMatador Scholarship portal. For further financial aid options for Tseng students, you must talk to Tseng College’s Financial Aid Office.
  10. What is the earliest time we can apply for various scholarships (i.e. the second semester into the master's program)?
    Students can apply for scholarships via the MyMatador Scholarship as early as November when our application period starts.
  11. How will the new $40 million donation be applied towards student support and what's the timeline for the implementation?
    This is outside of our scope. Once the university decides on the appropriate course of action, we are sure they will communicate that with the larger campus community.
  12. Do you have to meet all the eligibility requirements to apply for a scholarship? If you meet one requirement (for example, having 8 plus units), are you eligible to apply for the scholarship?
    Yes, students have to meet all the eligibility requirements to be considered for the scholarships on the MyMatador Scholarship Portal. This may be different for departmental scholarships so students should check with them for further information.

*We open Mondays thru Fridays from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, and can help students via email ( or via phone by calling (818) 677-4907.

University Counseling Services

  1. Does the University Counseling Services office provide therapy sessions?  If so, how much does it cost?
    At University Counseling Services, we offer many types of mental health services at no charge to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students, as well as students enrolled through the Tseng College.  We offer group therapy, wellness workshops, individual therapy, alcohol and other drug counseling, couples therapy, psychiatric consultation, urgent care/crisis services, and case management services.
  2. Do you provide counseling for depression and anxiety?
    University Counseling Services provides counseling for a wide range of concerns including depression and anxiety.  Some of the ways in which we provide counseling for depression and anxiety include group therapy, wellness workshops, and individual therapy.
  3. How often can I make appointments?
    University Counseling Services utilizes a brief, short-term model of treatment for individual and couples therapy.   Many students are helped in just a few individual sessions.   A student may only work with a therapist for a session or two to problem solve, explore and process, and learn new skills and resources, to address their concerns, while another student may benefit from additional sessions of therapy due to the severity or complexity of their presenting concerns.  And, yet, another student may work with a therapist briefly to focus on an acute concern and then transition to a higher-level of care or more specialized services off-campus to address more chronic, or ongoing concerns.

    There is flexibility within our short-term therapy model to try to best meet the needs of individual students.  This includes decisions about whether to schedule weekly or biweekly sessions, transition a student to group treatment after some number of individual sessions, or refer a student for a psychiatric consultation.  Students may be referred for group treatment at University Counseling Services (psychoeducational groups, support groups, therapy groups), which do not have session limits.  If the therapist determines that a student would benefit from specialized treatment or a higher level of care than we are not able to provide in our short-term treatment model, they will work closely with the student to connect them with such services; this includes referrals to mental health providers and/or agencies in the community who accept the student’s insurance or who provide low cost services.
  4. Can we meet in-person throughout the semester with questions/concerns?
    During the fall 2021 semester, questions and/or concerns may be addressed by calling our main line at 818-677-2366 (select option 1) and speak with a front desk staff member who may be able to assist you or will guide you to a therapist for a phone consultation.  Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

    At University Counseling Services, we care about students’ concerns and are here to support you.  If there is a serious concern that has risen to the level of a crisis, students may call the University Counseling Services crisis line at 818-677-2366 (select option 3).  This crisis line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

    At this time, all services are being offered virtually with the exception of urgent care/crisis service.  In this way, if a student is on campus and is need of immediate counseling support, the student may visit University Counseling Services in Bayramian Hall, Suite 520 during business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM).

University Library

  1. Will the library be open during the fall semester? What are the library’s hours? Will online Grad students have access?
    We do plan to be open in the fall, subject to campus guidelines. Hours for the Fall have not been decided yet. Students can find the hours, when they are announced, on the Service Hours webpage. Online grad students will have access, both to our online resources, as well as the physical library itself. As long as you are an enrolled student, you have access to the library.
  2. Do I need a student ID to visit the library?
    No, you do not need a student ID to visit the library (unless our policies change due to the rising number of Delta cases. If our policies change, you'll see that info on our COVID information page)
  3. Do I need to obtain a library card?
    Your CSUN Student ID is your library card. Because new students may not have a CSUN Student ID yet, we are currently allowing students to check out items without one. Students will need their Student ID number and another form of photo ID to check out something from the library. When things go back to "normal" and students have had a chance to obtain their student id, we will begin requiring that to check items out from the library again.
  4. Do we need to make an appointment to visit the library to study/do homework?
    During this summer, yes. The University Library is planning to fully reopen on Monday, August 30, 2021, the first weekday of Fall semester, subject to current campus guidelines. That would mean no more reservations are necessary.
  5. Can online students check out physical and digital items?
    Yes. For physical items, you can request them through OneSearch, and then pick them up from the lockers outside the library. We are no longer shipping books to people. E-books are available to all students. You can find ebooks and full text articles online through OneSearch or subject specific databases. We have how-to guides and tutorials and subject specific research guides to help you learn how to use our resources.
  6. What should I do if I am unable to access my LinkedIn Learning portal?
    If students have any trouble logging into any database, including LinkedIn Learning, they should fill out this form, and someone will get back to them ASAP.
  7. Are international students allowed to work for library?
    Yes. Students can apply for library jobs through the Handshake portal.
  8. Does the library provide any tutoring?
    The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is located in the library and they provide some tutoring.
  9. What kind of materials other than books can students check out?
    Besides books, students can check out DVDs, laptops, iPads, and a variety of multimedia equipment.

*Please visit our webpage for more updates.

University Student Union

  1. What services do you offer to graduate students?
    We offer an exceptionally wide range of resource centers, events, programs, services and facilities for all CSUN students, including graduate students. Please visit our websites below to see all of our ongoing services, upcoming events and frequently asked questions:
    USU Homepage –
    USU Calendar –
    USU News –
    USU Services –
    The New Heart of Campus –
  2. What is your department's mission?
    The University Student Union, as the heart of campus, uplifts and empowers students to achieve educational, personal and professional goals by providing leadership development, meaningful employment, and innovative programs, services and facilities. We promote equity, inclusion and well-being, while encouraging social justice advocacy to help Matadors feel heard, respected and connected to CSUN.
  3. What is the difference between the USU and AS?
    Associated Students is housed within the University Student Union, but our mission, regularly scheduled programs, services and initiatives are separate. AS provides programs and services designed to enhance and create a learning-focused campus.

    The University Student Union at CSUN includes engaging resource centers that exist to serve all CSUN students. The USU includes the DREAM Center, Pride Center, Computer Lab, East Conference Center, Games Room, Northridge Center, Oasis Wellness Center, Reservations & Event Services, Student Recreation Center, USU Programs, Veterans Resource Center...and you!
  4. What is the purpose of the USU?
    The University Student Union (USU) at California State University, Northridge is a student-centered non-profit organization that works to expand student life and CSUN through various programs, services, student employment and involvement opportunities. The USU is fully committed to providing inclusion, diversity and personal growth to students, as well as events, entertainment, food, study areas and comfortable lounge spaces to maximize the CSUN experience for all Matadors.
  5. Will there be any USU resources offered during the semester and will their department offices be open? Will student printing services become available for the Fall semester?
    USU facilities and services will be operational during the 2021-2022 fiscal year. Areas such as the Computer Lab, Student Recreation Center (SRC), Oasis Wellness Center, Pride Center, Veterans Resource Center (VRC), DREAM Center, Sol Center, East Conference Center and Northridge Center will accommodate the CSUN community as a lounge space, service facility and event destination.

    Student printing services are now available at the USU Computer Lab. Students may visit the facility to use computers, utilize software and print 20 free pages a day through touch-free printing services.
    Our Virtual Computer Lab is still available for remote assistance with Lab Tech Live Support. Visit our website for more information at

* If you have additional questions, please call (818) 677-2251 or visit the University Student Union website.

International and Exchange Student Center

  1. How do I pay my tuition fees before coming to the States? I currently see a foreign hold in my Northridge portal? Do I get a discount for paying the entire tuition fee at once?
    • We highly encourage you to pay by the deadline provided on your student portal as that is the payment schedule set for all CSUN students. However, if you are experiencing any delays in receiving your funds, the disenrollment will not occur until September 3rd, 2021 for international students. No discounts are provided for paying tuition in full.
    • The foreign hold is an indicator for international students to purchase the required health insurance. Please Click here to purchase the policy offered by California State University, Northridge (CSUN) International Student Health Insurance group.
  1. I'm an international graduate student and I am wondering if we need to report to IESC in person?
    New Fall 2021 students are required to complete the Mandatory New Student Virtual Reporting. Please click here to sign up to attend a mandatory Virtual Reporting Session.
  1. Are there any specific services for international students that are in a doctoral program?
    All CSUN students have access to various services offered throughout different departments.
  1. Is there a quarantine period when international students arrive in the US?
    Student should follow the guidance from the CDC and the state on travel and self-quarantine recommendations.
    • As a fully vaccinated student coming to the U.S. from abroad, you need to show a negative test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding an international flight to the United States. You do NOT need to self-quarantine after arriving in the United States. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.
    • If you have not been vaccinated, you must self-quarantine for 7 days upon your arrival to the U.S. regardless of the results of your COVID-19 test.
    • Students coming to Southern California from other U.S. states or territories, should get tested before and after travel, and self-quarantine for 7 days if they have a negative COVID test result. If not tested for COVID-19, students must self-quarantine for 10 days.
    • Anyone coming to Southern California who has symptoms of COVID-19, must get tested and must stay home.
  1. Do you have any student groups who can pick up international students from the airport?
    You can find recommendations of transportation from LAX to CSUN listed in our International Student Handbook.
  1. Are international vaccines accepted by the university?
    Regarding the COVID 19 Vaccination, CSUN is currently developing an online procedure where you will be able to provide your vaccination information and you will obtain answers to questions regarding the COVID 19 vaccination. Once this information is finalized and available, it will be emailed and/or posted on the university’s website. Please continue to visit the MATADORS FORWARD website for the latest guidance and information.
  1. How do I get a SSN number and how much time does it take to receive the number?
    How to apply for a SSN:
    • Student must request the Verification of International Student Status for On-Campus employment from the IESC. This letter will verify that the applicant is an international student that has been authorized to work on campus.
    • Student must submit to the IESC a copy of their on-campus employment offer letter along with their On-Campus Employment Verification Letter Request to the IESC. The offer letter must include the Employer Identification Number. (Download a sample of the offer letter.) To obtain a letter from the IESC, please complete the Student Letter Request Form and the offer letter to *Processing times are 7-10 business days; however, processing times may vary during peak times
    • The student must take both letters along with their CSUN I-20 form and valid passport (which includes his or her student visa and I-94 arrival/departure card) to the local Social Security Administration (SSA) office to apply.
    • Students may go back to the SSA office within three days to ask if they have been issued a number. If they have, the SSA will give the student a printout with their SSN on it. The student will receive his or her Social Security card in the mail in about 10 business days.
    Please note that it may take three days to a month to obtain a SSN. SSA will not process an application if it is more than 30 days in advance of the scheduled job start date.
  1. Can graduate students do exchange programs? Does it need to correlate with the student’s field?
    Graduate students can participate in study abroad, and it doesn't have to correlate with their field of study. We will recommend students to check with their graduate advisor to determine how participation would impact their degree process.
  1. I am fully vaccinated; do I still have to self-quarantine when I arrive in the United States?
    As a fully vaccinated student coming to the U.S. from abroad, you do NOT need to self-quarantine after arriving in the United States. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.

*For additional questions, please email the IESC at or visit our Contact Us page.