Graduate Studies

  • Current Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find all the policies and procedures affecting graduate students?

The current University Catalog has extensive information that is extremely useful to new and continuing students.

What is considered full time status for a graduate student?

Enrollment in 8 units of coursework constitutes full time enrollment.

How many units can I transfer in from another university?

With the approval of your graduate program coordinator and the Office of Graduate Studies you may transfer up to 9 units of graduate level coursework. The classes must have been taken at an accredited university and a grade of B or better is required. The course(s) may not have been used to fulfill requirements for another degree.

May graduate students repeat a class?

Yes, with permission from the graduate program coordinator and the Assistant Vice President of Graduate Studies a student may repeat up to 6 units in which a B- or below or a grade of “WU” was achieved. See current catalog for more information.

When do I need to apply to graduate?

How can I graduate with distinction?

Graduate students who obtain a 3.885 or higher on their formal master’s program will graduate “With Distinction”. This will appear on the official transcripts and the diploma.

Where can I find information about commencement?

Commencement information may be found on the Office of Student Involvement and Development website.

Where do I get information regarding “hooding”?

Please check with your major department.

When will I receive my diploma?

Approximately 5 to 7 weeks after the semester has officially ended your diploma will be mailed to the address listed on the Portal.

Grading Basis FAQs

Please visit the Grading Basis FAQs webpage for information on grading options for graduate students: