June 9, 2020
CSUN Cares for Students Grant Summary
June 5, 2020
The CSUN Cares for Students Grant is made possible through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, which provides financial support to eligible students who have expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19. CSUN signed and returned the Certification and Agreement and is eligible to receive a total of $22,326,164 for use in providing emergency financial aid grants to students. Through June 5, 2020, the university has awarded $14,839,575 to 19,696 students who responded affirmatively to the university’s invitation to receive a grant.
- Eligible students were invited to apply for a grant by the priority deadline of May 15, 2020.
- Students applied online at myNorthridge portal under Financial Matters in the CSUN Cares Grant Application pagelet. Eligible students had the option to accept a preapproved grant amount or provide justification to request a higher amount.
- To be eligible, students were required to be enrolled at CSUN during Spring 2020 in an undergraduate, graduate or professional program; be eligible to receive federal financial aid; and not be enrolled in a completely online degree program.
- During the priority award period only current Title IV financial aid recipients were identified as eligible to receive the CARES grant. A total of 26,819 students were so identified and invited to apply for a CARES grant.
- Eligible expenses included food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and other college expenses incurred as a result of COVID-19 related disruption of campus operations.
- Grant awards ranged from $154 to $1,568 based on family income as reflected by the applicant’s official Expected Family Contribution (EFC) to the student’s cost of attendance. Students with the lowest (i.e., “0”) EFC received the highest grant award. Students attending less than full-time received half the designated amount.
The university is preparing to open a second application period for other eligible students as well as students who failed to apply during the initial application period. Eligible student will be notified by email during the week of June 29.