2023-2024 FAFSA & CADAA Workshops

February 14, 2023

Need help filling out your financial aid application?
Come and complete your 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). 

Workshop description:  CSUN students are welcome to visit the USU computer lab, log into a computer, and fill out an online application.  Financial Aid Department staff will be there to assist with questions or help guide students through the application process.  You can stop by during the workshop for a question, or stay for the duration of the session.  



Thursday February 23rd, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Tuesday February 28th, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.


What to Bring:

  • FSA ID or CADAA login information. 
  • Your 2021 Tax return* and W-2.
  • Your Parents’ 2021 Tax return* and W-2s.

*A tax return is not required, but it is helpful.              

Workshops conducted by the CSUN Financial Aid & Scholarship Department.

For sign language interpreting needs, contact Kathryn Vanegas at 5 business days prior to the workshop you will attend.

Below you will find our Frequently Asked Questions for the 2023-2022 Aid Application 

Q: What is CSUN's federal school code?
A: The CSUN school code is 001153 

Q: I filled out an application for the current school year, do I need to fill out another one for next year?
A: You must fill out an aid application each year, the applications open every October 1st for the following academic year. For example, the new 2023-2024 FAFSA/CADAA application will be available October 1st 2022 and it applies to Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and Summer 2024 at CSUN. 

Q: For FAFSA or CADAA, should I select renew or start a new my application?
A: Either option is fine. Renewing allows certain demographic information to transfer over, starting a new one will require you to answer every question again 

Q: What will I need to fill out my application?
A: You will need: your Social Security Number or your Alien Registration Number (for FAFSA), federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. If you are a dependent student, then you will also need the above information for your parent(s). 

Q: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent on their 2021 taxes but now I am not with parents and I am independent?
A: Your dependency status for financial aid purposes is not determined by whether you are claimed on your parent’s taxes. You will need to answer the dependency questions on your aid application. If it is determined that you are a dependent student you will be asked to provide your parent’s information. 

Q: What if my income or my parents’ income has changed from 2021? I no longer earn the same income. What information do I use?
A: You must report income information for 2021 and if your information or your parents information has changed in 2022, you will have an opportunity to submit an Income Appeal in August of 2023. You need to submit your application using 2021 information first and we can then consider you for an income appeal in August. 

Q: During the pandemic I have been receiving unemployment money. Will I have to report this money on my aid application?
A: The 2023-24 application is based on 2021 income. Only the unemployment payments that were considered taxable income should be reported. If you are not required to file a 2021 tax return because you did not receive enough to file, do not report the amount as untaxed income. You will report yourself as non-tax filer. 

Q: Will I still be eligible to receive FAFSA or CADAA if I start working?
A: Yes, you will be considered and should apply every year in order to determine what you are eligible for. 

Q: What if I didn’t work in 2021?
A: FAFSA/CADAA requires your 2021 income.  If you didn't work, you report as non-filer with $0 earnings for 2021. 

Q:What do I do if the application keeps saying error when I submit?
A: The application usually tells you what the error is, and what you need to enter to resolve it. If you keep having issues with your FAFSA application please contact them at 1800-433-3243 or CADAA at 888-894-0148 

Q: I’m a graduate student. On the dependency status it says that I’m considered an independent student but I’m still dependent on my parents. Do I still provide my parents information?
A: Students who are pursuing a Master's degree are considered independent even if they are still dependent on their parents. Because of this, you do NOT need to provide your parents info. 

Q: For number in college, do I include myself?
A: Number in College should include: You, siblings or other people in your parent’s household who will be enrolled at least half-time in 2023-2024. 

Q: For the parent financials, where can I find what my parents earned from working wages?
A: This information will be on your parent W-2 form, this form is issued by their employer or on the IRS Form 1040—line 1 + (Schedule 1—lines 3+6). 

Q: For 1040 tax returns how do we determine the adjusted gross income?
A: Adjusted Gross Income on 2021 tax return is found on line 11 of the 1040 form. 

Q: I receive disability benefits. When the application asks for my working wages, do I just enter the amount I get from SSI?
A: No. SSI is not reportable income. You would enter zero for wages if you do not work. 

Q: What do I enter if my parents do not have a Social Security Number?
A: If a parent does not have an SSN number, use 000-00-0000. 

Q:Do I have to put my tax and income information if I didn’t make over $12,550?
A: You must still report your income earned in 2021 even if it was less than $12,550 and even if you did not file a tax return. 

Q: I worked during the year of 2022 only, does it change anything?
A: No, the 2023 - 2024 application year requires 2021 tax information. If you did not work in 2021, you may indicate that you are a non-filer for this tax period 

Q: What are Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 forms?
A: Schedule 1 documents Additional Income and Adjustments to Income which looks like this however make sure you are looking at the form for 2021. And Schedule 2 documents Additional Taxes which looks like this 

Q: Do I need both of my parent's 2021 tax files?
A: If your parents are married or not married but living together, you will need both of their income and tax information from 2021. If they are married they may have filed taxes together, you can confirm that by looking at the tax filing status on the tax forms. 

Q: Is it possible to get one on one help filling out the application?
A: For assistance with individual questions on the application you may reach out to FAFSA 800-433-3243 or CADAA 888-894-0148. You may also contact the financial aid office at 818-677-4085 if you have a specific question. 

We are here to help, 

Financial Aid & Scholarship Department