2023-2024 FAFSA & CADAA Application is open to apply

February 17, 2023

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and CADAA

Is available to submit for the 2023-2024 Academic year.  Apply Today!

March 2, 2023 is the Priority Deadline for both the FAFSA and CADAA.  Submit early to ensure that you don't miss out on available aid.  Important message to apply for financial aid. 

Below you will find our Frequently Asked Questions for the 2023-2024 Aid Application 

Q: What is CSUN's federal school code?
A: The CSUN school code is 001153 

Q: For FAFSA or CADAA, should I select renew or start a new my application?
A: Either option is fine. Renewing allows certain demographic information to transfer over, starting a new one will require you to answer every question again. 

Q: What will I need to fill out my application?
A: You will need: your Social Security Number or your Alien Registration Number (for FAFSA), federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. If you are a dependent student, then you will also need the above information for your parent(s). 

Q: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent on their 2021 taxes but now I am not with parents and I am independent?
A: Your dependency status for financial aid purposes is not determined by whether you are claimed on your parent’s taxes. You will need to answer the dependency questions on your aid application. If it is determined that you are a dependent student you will be asked to provide your parent’s information. 

Q: Will I still be eligible to receive FAFSA or CADAA if I start working?
A: Yes, you will be considered and should apply every year in order to determine what you are eligible for. 

Q: What if I didn’t work in 2021?
A: FAFSA/CADAA requires your 2021 income.  If you didn't work, you report as non-filer with $0 earnings for 2021. 

Q:What do I do if the application keeps saying error when I submit?
A: The application usually tells you what the error is, and what you need to enter to resolve it. If you keep having issues with your FAFSA application please contact them at 1800-433-3243 or CADAA at 888-894-0148 

Q: I’m a graduate student. On the dependency status it says that I’m considered an independent student but I’m still dependent on my parents. Do I still provide my parents information?
A: Students who are pursuing a Master's degree are considered independent even if they are still dependent on their parents. Because of this, you do NOT need to provide your parents info. 

Q: For number in college, do I include myself?
A: Number in College should include: You, siblings or other people in your parent’s household who will be enrolled at least half-time in 2023-24 

Q: For the parent financials, where can I find what my parents earned from working wages?
A: This information will be on your parent W-2 form, this form is issued by their employer or on the IRS Form 1040—line 1 + Schedule 1—lines 3+6 

Q: For 1040 tax returns how do we determine the adjusted gross income?
A: Adjusted Gross Income on 2021 tax return is found on line 11 of 1040 form. 

Q: I receive disability benefits. When the application asks for my working wages, do I just enter the amount I get from SSI?
A: No. SSI is not reportable income. You would enter zero for wages if you do not work. 

Q: What do I enter if my parents do not have a Social Security Number?
A: If a parent does not have an SSN number, use 000-00-0000 

Q: Do I have to put my tax and income information if I didn’t make over $10,000?
A: You must still report your income earned in 2021 even if it was less than $10,000 and even if you did not file a tax return. 

Q: I worked during the year of 2022 only, does it change anything?
A: No, the 2023 - 2024 application year requires 2021 tax information. If you did not work in 2021, you may indicate that you are a non-filer for this tax period. 

Q: Do I need both of my parent's 2021 tax files?
A: If your parents are married or living together, you will need both of their income and tax information from 2021. If they are married they may have filed taxes together, you can confirm that by looking at the tax filing status on the tax forms. 

Q: Is it possible to get one on one help filling out the application?
A: For assistance with individual questions on the application you may reach out to FAFSA 800-433-3243 or CADAA 888-894-0148. You may also contact the financial aid office at 818-677-4085 if you have a specific question. 

We are here to help, 

Financial Aid & Scholarship Department